Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg M3 sounds are wrong

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aris80

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Korg M3 sounds are wrong Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I am new to this forum. I have a Korg M3 for the last year, which had been working fine but recently I discovered that many of the sounds sound wrong when on sequencer mode, in particular all from the G category and some from the U. They sound OK as programs when the local control is ON but completely wrong when I use them with my DAW (logic 9), something which was not happening before.
I have tried to reset the sounds by the Load Preload/Demo Data and this did not fix the problem. Any ideas? Thanks

[/b]
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, a description more detailed than "wrong" would help. Not being a dick, here - does wrong mean completely wrong sounds (piano where drums should be) or just changed sounds (my bright spacey piano sounds essentially correct dull and dry)?

What's usually missing in setting up sequences is FX. The way the FX are set up there are a limited number of inserts that you can apply to all the instruments across all the tracks. Sounds in program mode that use heavy FX either have to do without or make do with one or two reallocated among all the tracks.

I can suggest that you look up past discussions regarding FX and Sequencing - the answers you want have probably been thoroughly discussed many times... and discussions not directly pointed at M3 are still valid for sequencer set-up.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
aris80

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BB and thanks for your answer.
When I say wrong, I mean totally wrong, like drums where piano should be, nothing to do with FX. Of course, I am aware that the sounds in Program mode are much more loaded with FX than in Sequence mode.
I had a look to try and find some answers regarding this issue and didn't manage to get any so if you have any ideas please share!
Aris
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(head scratch)

That's pretty odd that the G (General Midi) bank would be out of order in ANY way. [Idiot check - look to see if GM program bank is still in GM order]

That midi sequences can get screwed up is not news, but there my only guess would be that logic is using some template/instrument definition or user map that is actually selecting the wrong programs and not that it is overwriting your M3 with new voices into program memory (you said that they appear to be OK except during playback) so that bad programs appear in the correct slots (if that makes sense).

You can stop re-set/formatting your keyboard.

I'd look in Logic to see what set-up data might be embedded in your sequence - most likely invisibly. Check to see you're not using the Roland/Yamaha Gen 2 (SGX, GSX?? I can never keep those acronyms straight) midi extensions (might be a tic box)

Are the sequences partially working? If you are doing cut & paste assembly or used previous tracks as a starting template then you might have inadvertently copied something to what you thought was unused tracks.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: