Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Backing Vocal parts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hammondcuni
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Backing Vocal parts Reply with quote

In sequencer mode when recording backing vocal tracks (in audio track) will I still save as a SNG file and bring up those parts as a song? I want to trigger vocal parts as we play live. I know theres something in the manual that says it will show "A" or something. But I dont need to record any midi tracks. Do i make sense?

Korg M3/73,Kronos X61,Triton Classic CF SCSi,MOX6,Casio XW-P1,Kawai K4, Hammond B200
Niblit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may have trouble using the sequencer that way. The audio parts are recorded and stored on disc in the same location as the midi for that song (which is great) but when you play the song, the audio plays back in the exact order and location in the song where you originally recorded it.

You can't just press a button to trigger a vocal, so the only way to make it play at the right place in the song is to record a midi track with the exact length of the song and then record your vocals (exactly) at the right point in the song so that they play back automatically with the correct timing.

Then you can mute the midi track so you only hear the vocals.

This will be very tricky to pull off in a live situation and if your timing doesn't match that of the vocals then it's gonna sound a bit pants.

The only way I can think of doing this is do record your vocals as one shot samples and then have them triggered from a pad or something when you need them.
hammondcuni
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of what I was thinking. But the vocal parts I need are pretty simple and very short. So I was thinking of recording at very beginning of count then pressing play record when need be. Just trying to save money on a back up singer:)
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one alternative would be to record the phrases as samples and use RPPR to play them back - that way you can trigger them using the keys (or multipads if you use something like a Nanopad). Basically trigger the phrases the same way a drummer would do things using a trigger pad/sampler.
::: Korg Kronos 88 ::: Alesis Fusion 8HD ::: Kurzweil PC361 ::: Roland V-Synth ::: DSI Prophet 12 ::: DSI OB-6 ::: Korg Prophecy ::: Moog Micromoog ::: Yamaha CP-30 ::: Alesis Andromeda ::: Moog Sub37 ::: Sequential Prophet 600 ::: Korg MS2000BR ::: GSI Burn :::

My Music
hammondcuni
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds more logical to sample that way. I am dealing with minimal phrases during gigs. We usually gig 45 min per show maybe 15 songs with about 8-9 songs needing back up vocals. Im not too familiar with rppr but will look into it. Before this Kronos it was impossible to even think of using a laptop for(backing vocals) live gigs due to set up times, power issues etc. now I think its something worth implementing into live performances.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even for short phrases, the tempo has to be pretty spot on. Does your drummer play with click?
hammondcuni
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes he plays with click.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would just create vocal programs per song.

in that case:
- record each phrase and assign that to a key in the sampler.
- create a program with the song name, for example: Holiday Vocals
- save the samples as holiday vocals and autoload the userbank of it.

now create a sequencer song or Combi and assign the holiday vocals to a keyzone.

Done, now whenever you want the vocal phrase to play, just hit the corresponding key in that keyzone. I do the same with the Sound effects to spice up the songs in a combi. Works like a charm.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case I would definitely try sampling with RPPR. While a little less... Clearly visible than in Ableton, it's fairly easy to trigger and stop different parts once you got it set up.
hammondcuni
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. I will post results as soon as I get this going.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: