Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CX Hammond does not cut through the mix
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
laandodeman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: CX Hammond does not cut through the mix Reply with quote

Anyone recognize this? I play in a rock band and dhe sound technician of my band says the hammond programs I made are not loud enough compared to my other programs and they do not come through in the mix.

Is there an easy way to solve that (except of course turn up the volume of the hammonds in all my combi's)?
arne v

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Do you mean it sounds "weak" compared to the rest of the sounds?
What i did with most of my pianos (acc, and el) i would copy EXi 1 over to EXi 2. This "doubles" the sound and it sounds much "fuller" imho. This does not affect your CPU usage to much when its just an organ.
You can of course play with the "detune" and panning option to widen the sound Smile

Regards Arne v
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would argue very strongly against doubling like that, especially with Leslie speakers involved and such. Of course, you should do what sounds best to you, but it seems to me an excellent way of introducing phase problems.

I don't really know what to tell you otherwise. Organs are very dynamic. Not through velocity of course, but the drawbar settings and amount of notes you play make a huge difference, not to mention riding the volume pedal. This is why the "starting volume" of the organ is perhaps a little lower. It was the same on my Nord Stage. I just reprogram my patches accordingly (lower the sound of the other patches) and usually leave a little room on my master volume knob to boost if I need it.
laandodeman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, I also had the same problem with my Nord Stage before I converted to Korg....

I was hoping there was something in the CX programs I could do to turn up the volume, but probably you are right that the best solution is turning the volume of other programs in the combi down.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want, you could try disabling the CX3s internal leslie, then run the "naked drawbars" through a compressor in IFX and then a leslie (also in IFX). This would bring up the basic volume, at the expense of sacrificing some dynamics. But really, master volume riding, if done with care, should work really well. Last gig after my organ solo the sound guy asked me to please not have the organ so loud Wink
mathieumaes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have the opposite problem. I sometimes need to use the organ as a background sound (ie. listen to John Fogerty's "Have you ever seen rain"), but most sounds are too agressive and way too loud.

Maybe we should exchange programs ? Very Happy
DoubleM

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problems after reprogramming my hammond sounds, formerly coming from my Nord Electro III.

I followed the same procedure like SanderXpander did, lowered the volume of the other sounds in the combinations and left some "headroom" in volumes generally.

What I found out esp. for hammond sounds:

You have to take care of the frequencies in the EQ. In a band context the organ frequencies often get in conflict with the guitars. I sometimes tweak the EQ in EXi1 carefully in a range of est. 1.6 kH a little bit. Result is, the organ isn´t louder at all, but cuts better through the mix. Maybe you should give it a try...

Gear: Kronos-2 61, Kronos 88, KingKorg, MOXF8, Fantom X 7, Hammond XK-1c
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathieumaes wrote:
I actually have the opposite problem. I sometimes need to use the organ as a background sound (ie. listen to John Fogerty's "Have you ever seen rain"), but most sounds are too agressive and way too loud.

Turn off the lowest two drawbars and play lower on the keyboard. If you've ever sat behind a real Hammond... you really only use those if you want to blast everyone apart.
DoubleM

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
mathieumaes wrote:

Turn off the lowest two drawbars and play lower on the keyboard. If you've ever sat behind a real Hammond... you really only use those if you want to blast everyone apart.

No, no, no... Wink

How would you play the Classic Hammond drawbar setting 88800000, if you turn off the lowest two drawbars??? Shocked

Gear: Kronos-2 61, Kronos 88, KingKorg, MOXF8, Fantom X 7, Hammond XK-1c
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just my opinion, but I would generally not use that setting for soft comping. 008080000 would work a lot better.
laandodeman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoubleM wrote:

What I found out esp. for hammond sounds:

You have to take care of the frequencies in the EQ. In a band context the organ frequencies often get in conflict with the guitars. I sometimes tweak the EQ in EXi1 carefully in a range of est. 1.6 kH a little bit. Result is, the organ isn´t louder at all, but cuts better through the mix. Maybe you should give it a try...

Makes sense, I will try that one.
arne v

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I would argue very strongly against doubling like that, especially with Leslie speakers involved and such. Of course, you should do what sounds best to you, but it seems to me an excellent way of introducing phase problems.

I don't really know what to tell you otherwise. Organs are very dynamic. Not through velocity of course, but the drawbar settings and amount of notes you play make a huge difference, not to mention riding the volume pedal. This is why the "starting volume" of the organ is perhaps a little lower. It was the same on my Nord Stage. I just reprogram my patches accordingly (lower the sound of the other patches) and usually leave a little room on my master volume knob to boost if I need it.

well, i have now tried this on different organ sounds and they sound awesome, no problem with rotary or out of phase here Smile
And i who never use the organ sounds Smile
Anyway, it was just a suggestion Wink

[edit] try the A041 Tom Coster Rythm comp, if the volume is turned up on both EXi`s you will get a small distortion on the upper part of the organ Smile
guillex

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happens with many keyboards from different brands. Nowadays I don't use factory presets as they come, at live.

I add a preamp and I improve the EQ for each program or combi that I use at live. You should do the same, because you know better how it should sound your keyboard in your band, than Korg, or Nord.

There are some frequencies that can be modified to cut trough the mix with the piano sounds, other for the Hammond...
dg-keys

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey folks,

when I met mr. Jordan Rudess, he told me, that he uses the multiband limiter in the master section in every combi/program.
The effect makes the sound much more assertive. Rises a little bit of the high and a bit of the mid. When you play wide chords he cuts the volume a little bit without notice. So you are never too loud and never too quiet.

I use the effect in every combi/program as well and it works fine. Give it try.

Regards from germany
Dan
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dg-keys wrote:
Hey folks,

when I met mr. Jordan Rudess, he told me, that he uses the multiband limiter in the master section in every combi/program.
The effect makes the sound much more assertive. Rises a little bit of the high and a bit of the mid. When you play wide chords he cuts the volume a little bit without notice. So you are never too loud and never too quiet.

I use the effect in every combi/program as well and it works fine. Give it try.

Regards from germany
Dan

Do you recommend a particular preset? Or the default settings?

Th problem with multiband compressors and limiters is that they are so hard to tune..
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: