Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any chance for (non-HD-1) 3rd party EXi and FX?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Any chance for (non-HD-1) 3rd party EXi and FX? Reply with quote

Just thinking outloud: Since Korg Kronos is a relatively open platform, is there any pathway to produce EXis and FX for 3rd party developers?

I mean beyond sample libraries like the current EXis.

As much as I love Korg, I'd also love to have old Roland and Oberheim emulations. Wonder if there would be the possibility of a sandbox we could develop in, send to Korg for review and possibly sell/contribute to the community?

This goes for FX too. We have lots of great stuff in there now, but it'd be nice to see some true emulations of certain gear (ala UAD plug-ins) or other things currently not available.

Obviously as we're naming other brands, naming conventions, trademarks et al would have to be considered, but I would imagine quite doable.

I know we have a lot of talented people just in this forum alone who I bet would love to take a crack at it myself included.

Just curious what possibilities there are!
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see this too but doubt it'll happen..

Just to be clear:
Currently EXs (EXpansion Samples) Libraries (sample data) are sold via the Korg online store.

EXs by nature can only be used for HD-1 and a few other sample-playing engines in the Kronos.

The eight engines besides HD-1 in the Kronos are EXi (EXpansion Instruments).

We can now also create User Sample Banks.. these are a bit like EXs.. but really they are just user samples that have their own namespace and support direct-from-disk streaming.

There's a big difference.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Saxifraga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see an additive engine like K5000S or VirSyn. With the possibility to load the original patches. MOD-7 shows us that it can be done.

An App Store for synth engines and other content downloadable directly to Kronos would be nice and is possible.

(I don´t get it. All "game consoles" have now Internet access via WLAN/WiFi and can load software modules from app stores. But I think synth forges don´t think like that. Maybe they are blind to the possiblities of this software design paradigm change. They all learned programming in the 80ties and 90ties?)

(btw. Downloading EXs to USB-Stick, transfering USB-Stick to Kronos, Installing *.exsins to SSD, loading .KSC and .PCG files into slots with fixed maximum number is MegaRetro. You have an INTEL Atom board inside that could have come with WIFI and 3G access! You can have a download and install manager like iOS or Nintendo DSi/3DS has. Go use your Xerox Korg.)

The new keyboards have all the hardware features they need. But like Microsoft they don´t know what to do with it until Apple came and created iTunes the iOS and the App Store. Now they all do it.

Who wants to be the Apple of the synth industry? Korg?
|'|'||'|'|'||'|'| / Physis Piano H1 / Roland Fantom G6 + ARX-01 & 02 / M3 61 & EXB-Radias & 256 MB / Arturia vCollection 3 / KLC / Minimonsta / Kawai K5000 S + R / Moog Little Phatty Stage II / Novation Ultranova / Roland JX-305 / TE OP-1 / iPad & microKey 25 & iODock. / Yamaha Rm1x & QY100 / Logic 9 & Mainstage |'|'||'|'|'||'|'|
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saxifraga wrote:
An App Store for synth engines and other content downloadable directly to Kronos would be nice and is possible.

I really love this idea! Purchasing additional synth engine for the Kronos! This has to be a win-win situation.

Applause
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saxifraga wrote:
I would love to see an additive engine like K5000S or VirSyn. With the possibility to load the original patches. MOD-7 shows us that it can be done.

As a K5000s owner, I'd LOVE to be able to make a porting app. If it were successful, I'd sell the K5K after importing my patches! Razz
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and the reality...we all know none of this will happen nor there is a need
for it...this is Korg and this is their Synth, as for our wishies there is tons
of synths like that: Neko, Meko, MediaStation, Groove XR e tc...
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect you're right. However, they did develop and sell engines for the OASYS. Since many more Kronosses already sold, the motivation would be even greater.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just dreaming but.....

WIVI Orchestral & Brass Band.
+ Woodwinds and Sax

http://www.wallanderinstruments.com/?mode=products&lang=en

Total Awesomeness...!!!!

Sharp.
Rskeys

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Just dreaming but.....

+ Woodwinds and Sax

Total Awesomeness...!!!!

Sharp.

Wow Sharp. This brass sound amazing!!!
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rskeys wrote:
Sharp wrote:
Just dreaming but.....

+ Woodwinds and Sax

Total Awesomeness...!!!!

Sharp.

maybe it's just me... but while this brass library does sound completely amazing... i just don't think that this is outside of the Kronos capabilities....

..... and I mean without much editing work involved...

Am I wrong?

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apex wrote:
Rskeys wrote:
Sharp wrote:
Just dreaming but.....

+ Woodwinds and Sax

Total Awesomeness...!!!!

Sharp.

maybe it's just me... but while this brass library does sound completely amazing... i just don't think that this is outside of the Kronos capabilities....

..... and I mean without much editing work involved...

Am I wrong?

IMO the Kronos brass kinda falls in the middle. I don't think it'll get much better than it is. Though comparing older libraries, the Kronos is certainly better. As for the newer stuff, this is my taste:

http://www.samplemodeling.com/en/products.php

You can use an EWI, but it's not necessary. They have several libraries. VERY Impressive/Expressive IMO.

Click on the product type you like, and then click on demos at the top. On the demos (on most) there's Big band stuff first, and then demos for the product you chose. Simply awesome.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a bunch of us are on the same page.

I put a call out for people interested in developing a truly expansible music platform a while ago but didn't get anywhere.. I'm not really wanting to start it on my own.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
gridpower

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally would love to have a real flexible bit-mangling FX inside the Kronos. I use BitMachine VST FX that is included in my Samplitude Pro X DAW software, but I would like to have something like that in the KRONOS when I take the board out for tracking sessions with various collaborators.

The included Decimator FXs included in the Kronos tries to do this, but it is VERY noisy and seems like more distortion than just a raw "bi-mangler".

BITMACHINE just mangles BITS and then it gets FILTERING and MODULATION. The modulation is key as it CLEANLY brings the dry signal back and then put it in to MANGLED mode after the envelope sweeps in again. Very cool rhythms can be made this way.

It isn't a complex algorithm really...Reduction is set by BITS and SAMPLERATE....then you have a sweet FILTER section with FREQ, RESO and DRIVE settings....lastly you have MODULATION with SINE, SQUARE and RANDOM envelopes that are adjusted with a SPEED adjustment.

Very simple, but instant radio static sounds and blip/glitch modulated in and out from the dry mix. This could easily be setup as an FX within the Kronos.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can already do this in the Kronos, though it'll probably sound slightly different. Use the decimator and only adjust the samplerate and bitrate. Chain it to a multimode filter IFX. Use one of the common IFX/MFX LFO's to modulate whatever (wet/dry, bitrate, etc).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: