Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

73 Key Krome.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
summers2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: 73 Key Krome. Reply with quote

How does the 73 key Krome fit within an 88 key board? In other words, which keys are missing from both ends? I have never played a 73, and am just curious. Thanks for any info.
TkWall

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can move middle C up or down, but generally you have 3 octaves above and 3 below
summers2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, TkWall. Then the 73 acually goes lower in the bass and cuts off more treble notes than the 76. That seems to be a more useful layout. Thanks again for the info.
MWGKorg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the highest and lowest notes on the keyboard are a C (going from photos).
TkWall

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the old thinking seemed to be make "E" the lowest key because that is the the guitar player's common key and of course you'd want a bass "E". But enough keys players griped that they changed it to C to C. Which is also perfect for me too.

I don't know about other keyboard players, but I started on piano with key of C (a very long time ago, it seems) and still feel most comfortable there when playing impromptu accompaniment, playing by ear, or jamming with others. If it's in a key I'm not great at, transpose it. Which, after a lot of jabber, brings me to my beef with synths marketed as "for gigging" and "live friendly" etc. Why can't they add two buttons, transpose up and down. I know, I know, global/transpose. With Korg, it's always the second option so you gotta move there first. Why is the first field "tuning" or whatever they call it. If you need to de-tune a little (aren't bands supposed to be in tune already) make it the flippin second choice.

OK...I feel a semitone better.
SpecialFX

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you find the added lower notes better than if they were the higher ones?

Also is semi weighted better for fingers?
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TkWall wrote:
Yeah, the old thinking seemed to be make "E" the lowest key because that is the the guitar player's common key and of course you'd want a bass "E". But enough keys players griped that they changed it to C to C. Which is also perfect for me too.

I think it has more to do with where middle C ends up on a 73. If you go C-to-C, middle C is either quite a bit lower or higher (depending on octave transposition) than it is on an 88, where it's approximately in the middle of the keyboard. On an 88, 61 or 73 (E-to-E) middle C is approximately in the middle. It bugged me when I had a 73-note M3. It felt like I was either playing too low or too high on the keyboard. For other people, they prefer it C-to-C.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
icarusi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TkWall wrote:
Why is the first field "tuning" or whatever they call it. If you need to de-tune a little (aren't bands supposed to be in tune already) make it the flippin second choice.

It's because the people who design them don't gig them, or those who gig on their behalf don't ask the right questions or carry enough 'weight'. Not just crit of Korg on this point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: