Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question for current owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mocando
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Question for current owners Reply with quote

Does it have smooth transition between progs and combis a-la-kronos?

Korg Gear: Wavestation
Korg Software: KLC Wavestation, iWavestation for iPad
Non Korg: M-Audio Code 61 MIDI Controller, Nektar GX49 MIDI Controller
Music Computing: 16in Macbook Pro with Touch Bar Mid 2019, i9 32GB RAM 2TB Flash, MacOS Catalina - 2019 iPad Air 64GB
Software: Apple MainStage, Arturia V Collection 7, Arturia OB-Xa V
Visit: Synth Fans :: Everything Synths Twitter: @korgfans
TkWall

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sound won't cut off like the old Tritons, but the old combi/patch will inherit the settings of the new one. Don't have one, but I think that's what the M3 does too.
MWGKorg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The voice of held notes doesn't change, but if you're scrolling through the patches/programs while holding a note, there is an audible click as you go past each patch/program.
mocando
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TkWall wrote:
The sound won't cut off like the old Tritons, but the old combi/patch will inherit the settings of the new one. Don't have one, but I think that's what the M3 does too.

No, the M3 will behave like the M50 and Oasys. Sounds will be cut off due to effect resetting. Is great to know that inherited the smooth transition of patches.

Music Computing: 16in Macbook Pro with Touch Bar Mid 2019, i9 32GB RAM 2TB Flash, MacOS Catalina - 2019 iPad Air 64GB
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Triton didn't cut off either I think, it just switched the FX.
But on the M3 and Oasys you could get smooth sound transitions within in a combi using Karma. Required a lot of pre-programming though, so it wasn't really like in the Kronos where you can go from basically any sound to any other sound.
mocando
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. I remember all workstations from the trinity up did cut off the effects. There where a couple workarounds for that, but none were really practical. It required awful lot of programming, with Karma or RPPR, and selecting patches with the bank buttons, if I remember correctly.

drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
The Triton didn't cut off either I think, it just switched the FX.
But on the M3 and Oasys you could get smooth sound transitions within in a combi using Karma. Required a lot of pre-programming though, so it wasn't really like in the Kronos where you can go from basically any sound to any other sound.

Yup, I use Karma for SST every weekend. It's really not difficult to program. Just program one Karma/combi for SST use and simply modify programs/combis for your personal needs. I actually prefer it to the Kronos SST because you use scene buttons instead of the touchscreen, which can sometimes be difficult. Also, with the Karma method you can switch from one program/combi to another to another and to another without cutoff of sound. With setlist you can only switch sounds once before you get cutoff of sound.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realize you could switch between combis with that method. I thought it was just between programs within a combi.
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I didn't realize you could switch between combis with that method. I thought it was just between programs within a combi.

Nope. I have mine set up so I have piano/pad/synth on different key zones on scene button 1, organ on scene button 2, synth brass on 3 and string/bells on scene button 4, all without cutoff of sound. So in effect I have two combis and two programs in one huge combi. Of course you can't go beyond 16 programs, but whose counting.

The only drawback that I see, which is not much IMHO, is the sharing of FX.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes that's what I meant. It's all within a single combi.
mocando
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drama1 wrote:
SanderXpander wrote:

Nope. I have mine set up so I have piano/pad/synth on different key zones on scene button 1, organ on scene button 2, synth brass on 3 and string/bells on scene button 4, all without cutoff of sound. So in effect I have two combis and two programs in one huge combi. Of course you can't go beyond 16 programs, but whose counting.

That is the reason that method does not work for me. I'm building a Genesis tribute band, and I make my combis per song, so, in a gig, I have lets say 6 or 7 songs, and some of them like "In The Cage" have 3 combis swapping different organs, leads, strings and choirs. It would be a nightmare having to reprogram the scenes for each song. Besides, I have combis for 30 or so songs, and I keep updating them, so I use a pedal to go combi up in the middle of the performance.

I'm very happy that the Krome does not cut the sounds when switching.

BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mocando wrote:
drama1 wrote:
SanderXpander wrote:

That is the reason that method does not work for me. I'm building a Genesis tribute band, and I make my combis per song, so, in a gig, I have lets say 6 or 7 songs, and some of them like "In The Cage" have 3 combis swapping different organs, leads, strings and choirs. It would be a nightmare having to reprogram the scenes for each song. Besides, I have combis for 30 or so songs, and I keep updating them, so I use a pedal to go combi up in the middle of the performance.

I'm very happy that the Krome does not cut the sounds when switching.

Where did you hear that the Krome does seamless switching? I don't think it does. I think you're only going to find that in the Kronos and Fantom G.
mocando
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillW wrote:

Where did you hear that the Krome does seamless switching? I don't think it does. I think you're only going to find that in the Kronos and Fantom G.

This person is talking like he owns or have tried a Krome. Did he?

MarkWillGreen wrote:
The voice of held notes doesn't change, but if you're scrolling through the patches/programs while holding a note, there is an audible click as you go past each patch/program.

BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mocando wrote:
BillW wrote:

This person is talking like he owns or have tried a Krome. Did he?

MarkWillGreen wrote:

Huh, I'm not sure what he's trying to say, but it sounds like it's not a smooth transition. That feature would be at the top of Korg's specs if it existed in this keyboard. I'm sure it doesn't.
mocando
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillW wrote:

Huh, I'm not sure what he's trying to say, but it sounds like it's not a smooth transition. That feature would be at the top of Korg's specs if it existed in this keyboard. I'm sure it doesn't.

Darn! Well, I did got used to it, and managed to keep my combi switches as unobtrusive as possible. That is why I sometimes need 3 keybeds at the same time, having to switch to a different organ sound, while holding a lead note. I simply map the other organ someplace else, and I don't need to switch.

Is not a deal breaker for me, though. I just wanted to know if that was taken care of for good out of Korg keyboards.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: