Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Detailed ROM Info??
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
uniformedservices1969

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Detailed ROM Info?? Reply with quote

Arrow

Last edited by uniformedservices1969 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
uniformedservices1969

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow

Last edited by uniformedservices1969 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
musicman2011

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but thats what is not clear, and no one from Korg seems to be coming up with a clarification.

Is it clear the samples are in ROM? There is RAM involved, as the OS is being loaded into something.

One would think ROM since playback latency is very good, I dont think at this point they are streaming samples from a SSD.

Why is Korg so mute and silent on this matter?
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg never refers to it as ROM only PCM memory on the Krome. There is no additional latency from streaming. Everything is played back from RAM using streaming. It's just not all loaded into RAM at once. On a computer-based system, the latency is the same if the samples are loaded into RAM or streamed.

I don't know for a fact that the Krome is using streaming technology, it's just my guess putting 2 + 2 together.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be ridiculous if it didn't use streaming, because that would mean it supports more RAM than Kronos (and therefore would have a 64bit OS). Seems to me they put in a fast read-only SDcard/flash memory and are streaming from that. Also, ROM just means you can't write/change the samples. It has nothing to do with whether those sample banks are on SDcard, in RAM or wherever.
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Detailed ROM Info?? Reply with quote

uniformedservices1969 wrote:

I had one guy on YouTube tell me that he had translated the info from a Japanese video...if this is true,why does the general public of Japan have access to this info and Americans don't??
As far as I know,Korg is an American-based company...so WTF is going on

Korg is a Japanese company, as are Roland and Yamaha.
uniformedservices1969

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow

uniformedservices1969

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Detailed ROM Info?? Reply with quote

BillW wrote:

I had one guy on YouTube tell me that he had translated the info from a Japanese video...if this is true,why does the general public of Japan have access to this info and Americans don't??

So what your saying is that not only is the manufacturing in Japan,but the entire origin of the company is Japan?
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Detailed ROM Info?? Reply with quote

BillW wrote:

So what your saying is that not only is the manufacturing in Japan,but the entire origin of the company is Japan?

Yes
Chriskk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Detailed ROM Info?? Reply with quote

Korg was founded in Japan. It's like not knowing Nintendo is a Japanese company...
uniformedservices1969

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Detailed ROM Info?? Reply with quote

Arrow

Last edited by uniformedservices1969 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
mocando
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: Detailed ROM Info?? Reply with quote

Chriskk wrote:
Korg was founded in Japan. It's like not knowing Nintendo is a Japanese company...

I've always known that Korg was manufactured there,but never gave much thought to where it all started,until I drove myself nuts trying to nail down some more info on the ROM.

With the exception of Kurzweil formerly being manufactured in Massachusetts,most everything is outsourced...so it sort of blurs the line between what is American and what is not,unless you investigate it.

Founded in 1962 in Japan by Tsutomu Kato and Tadashi Osanai, Korg was originally known as Keio Gijutsu Kenkyujo Ltd. and later Keio Electronic Laboratories (京王技術研究所?) because its fledgling offices were located near the Keio train line in Tokyo and Keio can be formed by combining the first letters of Kato and Osanai. Before founding the company, Kato ran a nightclub. Osanai, a Tokyo University graduate and noted accordionist, regularly performed at Kato's club accompanied by a Wurlitzer Sideman rhythm machine. Unsatisfied with the rhythm machine, Osanai convinced Kato to finance his efforts to build a better one.

In 1967, Kato was approached by Fumio Mieda, an engineer who wanted to build keyboards. Impressed with Mieda's enthusiasm, Kato asked him to build a prototype and 18 months later Mieda returned with a programmable organ. Keio sold the organ under the name KORG, created by using the first letter of each founder's name plus "RG" from their planned emphasis on products targeted for the organ market (emphasizing the letters R and G in the word "organ")

Google and Wikipedia are your friends Wink

As a side note, Kato was a good friend of Robert Moog, and in fact was introduced to him by none other than Rick Wakeman.

Korg Gear: Wavestation
Korg Software: KLC Wavestation, iWavestation for iPad
Non Korg: M-Audio Code 61 MIDI Controller, Nektar GX49 MIDI Controller
Music Computing: 16in Macbook Pro with Touch Bar Mid 2019, i9 32GB RAM 2TB Flash, MacOS Catalina - 2019 iPad Air 64GB
Software: Apple MainStage, Arturia V Collection 7, Arturia OB-Xa V
Visit: Synth Fans :: Everything Synths Twitter: @korgfans
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To further complicate things, as I understand it:

Korg R&D, which gave us the Wavestation, OASYS and Kronos among other things, is a select team which includes people in the USA and Japan.

The Korg PA-series arrangers come out of Italy (as do many arranger keyboards).

Products like the M3, M50, Triton, Krome came out of Korg Japan.

So the Kronos and Krome came out of different groups.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
uniformedservices1969

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow

Last edited by uniformedservices1969 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Erenion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Detailed ROM Info?? Reply with quote

2.8GB of pianos,600MB of EP's,300MB of drums....where is this information coming from and is there any truth to it??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDGhqn44yvg

At the end of this video (in french) The specifications in terms of PCM are described (Look a t 9'33 )

This video is not an official video from Krome , but Michel Deuchst is well know in france for its demo. I clearly don't know where the PCM allocation specifications come from, but it the same as the one you wrote.

This video has been posted about 2 weeks ago
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: