Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chords
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Chords Reply with quote

Hi all.

If chords were something you could only trigger and not play the individual notes yourself, what would you deem as critical must have chords ?

My thinking for each note is...

Major
7th
Minor
Diminished
Augmented

Regards
Sharp.
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you, those are the ones mostly used.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also suggest suspended chords such as second and forth chords. I tend to use them as the third is only implied. Sometimes I don't exactly want a major or minor tonality or i want to be vle to slide into it. Kid of a Pete Townsend thing..
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
jazlover
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is hypothetical....however:

For me, to not be able to flavor chords with (2nd, 6th, +5, +9 etc....) would leave the soup too tasteless. It would be sad indeed! You would be stuck with only giving the chord its essence without the colors and shadings. It would be like playing the blues without the blue notes.

and yes suspended chords are a must.
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting you should bring this up. This past month I've been taking the samples from the master reels backing tracks of the Optigan (www.optigan.com) and putting them on my Kronos. The chords it uses are limited to major, minor, diminished and in a few cases, augmented.

Personally, I would start with triads. The thirds and fifths are most important for chords. All other tensions can be covered with the melody. So my list would be:

major
minor
sus2
sus4
augmented
b5
minor (b5)
Past Instruments of Construction: Hammond A100 w/Leslie 760, Korg R3, Roland AxSynth, Korg Poly61, Korg M1, Univox MaxiKorg, Korg MS2000, (2) Moog Concertmate MG1, (2) Hammond X5, Rhodes Mark I & 2, Farfisa Compact, Yamaha S08, Casio SK1, Strymon Mobius, Custom Bass Pedals, Burns B3 Theremin.
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minor 7ths
major 7ths
+9
6ths
11ths
13ths
flattened 5ths

I would be lost, without them Rolling Eyes
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol.... so basically “Everything”.

Given the mathematics of music, if a single instrument in a song is locked to the chords I've mentioned, then surly this does not define the chords the song itself is limited to.
Would you agree with that?

Regards
Sharp.
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Chords Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Hi all.

If chords were something you could only trigger and not play the individual notes yourself, what would you deem as critical must have chords ?

My thinking for each note is...

Major
7th
Minor
Diminished
Augmented

Regards
Sharp.

To this list I would add m7 and Maj7. I might also go with +9.

If I were limited to just 5 choices, I would drop aug, dim and +9.
jazlover
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I am not understanding your question but if an instrument is locked into a set of basic chords, then the bass (root) and the melody are the only variables. The chords would be defined everytime except for the root and melody.

I can play a Cmaj7 easily 6 different ways (all unique sounds....some very open sounding....some very tense). Much of the fun of playing with two hand is in impling a harmony with the left hand but changing what I do with my right hand changes the harmonic essence. Playing in the left hand the notes B-E-A...can imply Cmaj7---Bsus7----Bmin7----Esus---Gmaj7...etc.. depending on the scales my right hand plays. Call me spoiled but I would hate to lose that. Also you need different flavoring for different genres of music. Playing Bossa Nova demands a certain flavor notes...so does Gospel..Modal Jazz..Blues..etc. Yeah, I guess I am spoiled and I have probably diluted your original intent on this post.
jazlover
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone correct me if wrong but in jazz there are 7 types of basic chords: 6th, min6, min7, min7-5, dominant7, dim7 and maj7.
Suspended are consider more of a passing chord.
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazlover wrote:
Someone correct me if wrong but in jazz there are 7 types of basic chords: 6th, min6, min7, min7-5, dominant7, dim7 and maj7.
Suspended are consider more of a passing chord.

Sounds about right jazlover.

Reminds me of my organ lessons many moons ago.

My least favourite chords are 7ths. G 7th leads to C Major etc.........but make it G minor 7th or G major seventh, now they have 'flavour' Very Happy

Fave type of chord- B flat major 7th with a C bass = C 13th. Beautiful chord.

As you rightly say 'jazlover'. The root (bass note) is the important one.

Last edited by runningman67 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe I am not understanding your question but if an instrument is locked into a set of basic chords, then the bass (root) and the melody are the only variables. The chords would be defined everytime except for the root and melody.

Very true, but let me try explain it another way to see what you think of this....

Assume the the limit is you can only pick 5 chords per note, but those chords need to be diverse enough to cover most material you might play.

I've gone over lots and lots of sheet music to simply find out what were the most common chords used. The results of which were, Major, 7th, Minor, Diminished and Augmented and they were all clear winners by a mile.

The hope at this point is to agree that those chords while being the most popular are the right ones to sample / lock down, and that they would blend best with other chords outside of your 5.

For example, the C Major sample will blend with a midi song playing C6 just fine. It fits well.

Or, out of the 5, would it be better to drop one or more, replace it with something less popular, but has a wider use when blended with a midi song.

Regards
Sharp.
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Quote:

Very true, but let me try explain it another way to see what you think of this....

Assume the the limit is you can only pick 5 chords per note, but those chords need to be diverse enough to cover most material you might play.

I've gone over lots and lots of sheet music to simply find out what were the most common chords used. The results of which were, Major, 7th, Minor, Diminished and Augmented and they were all clear winners by a mile.

The hope at this point is to agree that those chords while being the most popular are the right ones to sample / lock down, and that they would blend best with other chords outside of your 5.

For example, the C Major sample will blend with a midi song playing C6 just fine. It fits well.

Or, out of the 5, would it be better to drop one or more, replace it with something less popular, but has a wider use when blended with a midi song.

Regards
Sharp.

Major minor augmented diminished 7th as you said Sharp.

Very Happy
jazlover
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a vision of the Korgforums Bus going down th highway, Sharp is driving (of course) and this irritating brat in the back is screaming "But.....I....WANT...IT........All....NOW" and Sharp saying "don't make me pull over".

Ok, those are the 5 basic chords for what you want will work. Angel
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol.... Pull over?
When I'm driving the bus you just get thrown out the window without us even stopping. Twisted Evil

Seriously though, do you think that those 5 if limited to that are the best ?

Any volunteers to test something Cool

Regards
Sharp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: