Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

two new tracks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hai61

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: two new tracks Reply with quote

Hello, i recorded two new tracks. It is the serenade no.13 from W.A. Mozart (little nightmusic) 1st and 2nd movement. 3rd and 4th will follow. I used the EXs11 Library. Praise, comments, criticism and suggestions for improvement are welcome.

1st movement:
http://soundcloud.com/haimu/01-serenade-no13-allegro

2nd movement (romance):
http://soundcloud.com/haimu/02-serenade-no13-andante

Greetings
Harald
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

Kronoscopie, tout sur le Kronos en français

http://www.kronoscopie.fr
gzussturbo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great!!
hai61

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd movement allegretto (menuett) is now available online:

http://soundcloud.com/haimu/03-serenade-no13-allegretto
DocBambs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: two new tracks Reply with quote

hai61 wrote:
Hello, i recorded two new tracks. It is the serenade no.13 from W.A. Mozart (little nightmusic) 1st and 2nd movement. 3rd and 4th will follow. I used the EXs11 Library. Praise, comments, criticism and suggestions for improvement are welcome.

1st movement:
http://soundcloud.com/haimu/01-serenade-no13-allegro

2nd movement (romance):
http://soundcloud.com/haimu/02-serenade-no13-andante

Greetings
Harald

Harald - It's very good work.

The opening of the first movement does sound a little artificial (slightly giving away its keyboard origins) but from about 00:07 the issue seems to fade away. I compared it against a VSL demo of the same track and it's astonishingly close, though VSL manages more subtle string expression later on.

Vienna Symphony Library demos

DB
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very well done. As DocBambs says, it's very difficult to do convincing acoustic things - other than drum and bass - with keyboards and even sample libraries. We pick up very quickly on the difference between 80-plus moving hands on real instruments and synthesizer samples.

One thing that helps, especially with orchestral emulation, is to mix in solo tracks of solo instruments: violins, cellos, brass, winds, etc. Play each one by hand, leave in subtle mistakes - or even add them in intentionally. Pan to where those instruments would be in an actual orchestra, balance so they blend in with the orchestral patch of your choice, and it will add to the realism greatly.

If you have a sample library, learn all the little articulations and do the same thing. Which will have some of us growing old before our time. Razz

Woo! 500th post! Platinum, baby!! Very Happy
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to figure out why these don't work for me. (sorry!)

The sounds are well selected. The notes are accurate.

But they don't sound musical to me. (sorry again!)

Let's break it down.

The notes are perfect because it's all done through midi - nothing wrong with that; but that is the biggest flaw.

No classical music is that perfect - that four-square on the beat for every measure. Therefore it is not human, therefore not musical.

The Kronos on board string sounds are good - but they need interpretive help - no two cellos sound the same; similar yes, but not the same. Also there are ranges on the Kronos (as in the OASYS) that don't sound 'right' for each string instrument, so the sounds have to be tweaked just for those ranges.

But the sound is not good enough to make it musical. If you must play through midi then you need to introduce major quantisation to make it human.

What I would prefer to hear is you playing each track/voice/part yourself (remembering there are at least 4 cellos which should be recorded separately with slightly different sounds) and build on each track (Mozart is easy in this regard - there's always a continuo!) - then there's the acoustic ambience; there's none (okay, there's a little - but nothing meaningful!) There needs to be some kind of reverb going on - all classical music is played in a venue that has some kind of characteristic (the musikverein is good and unique to the point of legend), which then all builds to getting to the full piece; now that would be worth hearing!

These attempts whilst utterly accurate and perfect, miss the musical points (for me).
hai61

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your feedback and constructive criticism. Some suggestions I will implement in my new projects.

Greetings
Harald
hai61

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last part 4th movement allegro rondo is also available:

http://soundcloud.com/haimu/04-serenade-no13-allegro-rondo
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:

No classical music is that perfect - that four-square on the beat for every measure.

I have to agree, could be described as a robots interpretation of classical music but I suppose, there is a lack of 'atmosphere'. I think a tweak with the effects, reverb, chorus? just a tweak to add some ambiance, may help.

Hate to criticise, it's a piece that I couldn't do.
It is an amazing piece of work though hai61.
hai61

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the first 2 parts it used the o-verb with standtart (50ms). For the 3rd an 4th movement i used an O-Verb with 72ms reverb time. I would't overload the effect.

Maybe someone has a recommendation for better effects and parameters ?
1jordyzzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sequenced piece is very accurate, but sometimes it loses the human touch on the music.. the music is made entirely by computer, which of course we know that computer has no emotion.. humans, however, involves emotion when playing music...

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha PSR s910, Korg C720, Yamaha DTX 520, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, a pair of Yamaha HS80 in (soon not to be) an unproperly treated room..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: