Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Krome Pianos...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCT

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Krome Pianos... Reply with quote

Hey all. First, forgive me if this has been answered. My main board is a Motif XF8 (don't shoot me, overall my all time favorite, but I have owned many, many Korg's, including an Oasys). I like parts of the Kronos, but it is WAY overkill as a secondary board.

I just saw the Krome online and wondered about that. Reading some of the threads I see it is way stripped down vs. the Kronos. To be honest, all I would want are some Korg pads (stock are fine, we all know pads are the best on Korg's) and ideally I would love the Kronos piano (which I would get the Krome 61 and trigger though my Motif). Basically think of it as a sound engine, with virtually no need for expansion, sequencing, etc... In fact if they had a rack of them I would get that.

Does this sound like something the Krome would do nicely? Or are the sounds in the Kronos WAY better (I understand the expandability on the Kronos is way more, again, not anything I would ever use).

Thanks!
uniformedservices1969

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow

Last edited by uniformedservices1969 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
JCT

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to be clear, I own the XF, and love it. And to date, NONE of the Korg pianos have touched what the Yamaha's can do, especially with the add on libraries (I have owned the Oasys, M1, Trinity, Triton, Prophecy, M50-61, M3-88, etc...). Generally the realism of the Yamaha's for "acoustic" instruments has always been better. I have some high end samples that kill anything I have heard.

That being said, I am curious on the Kronos/Krome...which is why I asked. And "overpriced" is more subjective. If I did not own the Motif, I would perhaps consider a Kronos. But as a second board, it is overkill... That is why I sold the Oasys...I had both and my go to has always been the Yamaha (not wanting to start a war).

In general Korg has superior pads, in general. The Yamaha has decent ones for sure, and I have lots of add ons, but Korg overall has a niche there.
uniformedservices1969

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow

Last edited by uniformedservices1969 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Erenion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this demo on internet about KROME piano recorded quickly..

Link
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCT -

If it were me I'd have kept the Oasys and gone for a Motif Module for those sounds -- then added the Kronos or Krome for the piano and (Kronos) 8 additional synth engines.

If only because there IS a motif module and any Kronos/Krome modules are speculative at this point.

Personally, because I've been doing it for a while, I find Korgs really easy to program. The touchscreen and well laid out menus in particular make sound design much more intuitive.

Pads are subjective. I thought I had a bunch of really useable Korg pads in presets (hey, they were all called "sumpthin-sumpthin PAD") but the worship team I work with had other ideas (hated 'em) and played me some examples from CD's of what they wanted. With that guide to go on I was able to crank out half a dozen thick-foggy-room filling pads that didn't depend on FX or weird filters, motion or phasing for their sound [it's a sort of pipe organ made out of dust bunnies or LOTR Ents singing -- hard to describe]. That was using Triton Extreme. I can't imagine that the M50 engine (Krome's) or the Oasys HD1 engine (Kronos) would be much less capable of the same.

I've auditioned the original motif extensively and was unimpressed by the presets and if I were stuck with that engine for pads I wouldn't know where to begin in trying to make 'em.

The last point being that while i've looked at motif and the motifator pages I haven't seen a 10th of the community there that I've found here, including especially the willingness to post and share sounds.

Some Korg's worth having if only for that.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
JCT

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, I had the Oasys and XF8...I kept the XF8. That should say something on my opinion of the 2. To each his own. Sure keeping both might be nice, but we all know lugging those would be a nightmare.

I am not particularly looking for an argument on keeping the XF. I will be...and I will upgrade when they have a new model. I overall prefer Yamaha, and I have owned more than 30 boards in my life, from all companies, so this is a long acquired taste.

Yes Yamaha and Korg have different ways to program, setup, etc... Truth is any I can do quite easily, mainly from having used them all, and sure the touchscreen on the Korg's are nice, but again, to each his own. Not to mention if I went to the Yamaha forums I would be getting the opposite responses. Smile

That being said, I usually have one of each for their strong points, thus why I am looking again. Oasys was beautiful (I had the 76) and the build is quite a bit better than the Kronos, but again, total overkill as a secondary board, and the sounds out of the Yamaha for what I play kill it all day long.

That being said, back to my original question...Krome vs. Kronos. Main goal being a secondary sound board which I will not expand, any real benefit to the Kronos?

Thanks all...I do appreciate the replies. And FYI no one has the Kronos or Krome where I am in stock...hard to test. I only messed with a Kronos when I was traveling once...
JCT

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add that I had the XF8 FIRST...when it first shipped, bought the Oasys used after. Had it been the opposite I might have done that...had the Oasys 88 and then a Motif XS Rack. Just not the order I had done it in...Oasys was a "always wanted one" type situation...

Anyways, make that clear.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a weird discussion. Suddenly the OP has to defend his choice of a Motif XF, a top of the line workstation from the market leader.

JCT, I think if you're not into programming too much then what's left is how YOU think the presets sound. Nobody can really answer that for you here. You seem to have a high opinion of Korg pads, and certainly they'll be a different flavor from your Yamaha. But I would say for you by far the biggest dofference with the Kronos is the lack of the analog engines which make the analog pads highly adaptable and sounding a little bit better. But if you really are more into stock programs... I doubt you'll miss much.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarification here. I was not arguing that JCT should get rid of his Yamaha - clearly his favorite and go-to board. That's his choice and I'm not trying to talk him out of it.

He didn't like the Oasys enough to keep it. Again his choice. (It wouldn't have been mine, but I made my own prejudice pretty clear... as an opinion, not advice -- never typed "sell it").

But one of his stressed points is that he doesn't an extra board at all -- "a rack would be cool".

Except there aint one.

Since there is no Kronos-M, and no Krome-M and there is an XF-rack it would seem that if a one board solution is truly wanted you'd have to go with a Korg board (for lack of any other choice) and a Yamaha rack.

Currently, that would seem to be the only choice.

I will admit that I've not looked at the Motif racks hard enough to know how much the lack of a control deck options from the keyboard would affect it's playability. But I suspect that at least some controls can be routed and accessed via MIDI - hence my suggestion that in the same situation I'd have kept the Oasys (yes, my freely admitted prejudice) and gone for a rack version of motif for the sounds which is the deciding factor whichever way you choose.

The actual best solution may be the M3M which does exist, more cheaply now than any newer option; and is expandable with Radias for at least one more synth engine; and which has all the keyboard's control features except those mounted on the keybed (JS/mod wheel). That doesn't get you the Kronos/Krome piano, but JCT seems pretty happy with Motif's version. It would get clearly get him the pads, KARMA, drum tracks, etc. that he wants.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
uniformedservices1969

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow

Last edited by uniformedservices1969 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally get the decision of keeping the board version of the sound engine you like best. You don't always bring all your gear, or I don't, and that way you have the best sounds with you. Plus, the Motif rack is pretty awful to edit with a tiny screen compared to the board version, not to mention having no buttons or sliders whatsoever.

I like the suggestion of the M3M, especially with the Radias option. Awesome paddage in there. And pretty easy to edit with the sliders and touch screen. Better synth with more options and sounds than the Krome, apart from the piano, ep and drums.
JCT

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="uniformedservices1969"][quote="SanderXpander"]What a weird discussion. Suddenly the OP has to defend his choice of a Motif XF, a top of the line workstation from the market leader.

JCT, I think if you're not into programming too much then what's left is how YOU think the presets sound. Nobody can really answer that for you here. You seem to have a high opinion of Korg pads, and certainly they'll be a different flavor from your Yamaha. But I would say for you by far the biggest dofference with the Kronos is the lack of the analog engines which make the analog pads highly adaptable and sounding a little bit better. But if you really are more into stock programs... I doubt you'll miss much.[/quote]

First of all,no one here is giving JCT a hard time about his choices and I agree with his reasons for making the XF his main keyboard.

To be perfectly honest though,I find it really weird that anyone would part with an Oasys,or even consider using it for live use at all...because it's a gargantuan keyboard that seems ideally suited for studio use,more than anything else.

I've made my mistakes though,in keyboard purchases(more than once) and I understand that one does not always have the foresight to predict that a particular keyboard may not retain it's usefulness for the years to come(based on what your particular craft is,be it live use,sound design,home studio..whatever).
Sometimes your category as a musician changes & certain keyboards become obsolete as a result.
In my situation,I did away with gigging altogether & became so involved with software,which is why the Krome will be best suited for what I do.

10 Years ago,I had never imagined myself progressing to the point where I had a full blown studio and being proficient in software recording....because back then,I didn't even know how to operate a Tascam multi-tracker.
At that time,the only experience I had with recording,was sequencing on my Korg workstations that I had been doing for several years & I had to rely on a friend's studio back in the 80's & early 90's,to lay down a complete song.

The theme of this thread is-to each his own,period.[/quote]

Yeah trust me, I curse every time I drag my boards around. I just cannot deal with anything less than 88. Most of my playing is at my church now, I don't do the night time thing. So it is not a 2am tear down which helps.

But, my tendencies are to not buy low end, thus why the Motif is loaded with every option. And, now, in my usual, I am highly toying with a Kronos X. Perhaps stupid, and I know most of the add on stuff I won't use likely. But I get the feeling the Krome sounds are simply not as good (nor the build quality, etc...). Even the piano is a "slightly" downgraded version from what I am gathering (again, none of these are on display locally so I am buying blind).

As far as my Oasys, I bought it because I always wanted one. Loved it for certain aspects, but, yes it is big. And being that the XF was still my primary board, the Oasys had to go. Plus I sold it right before the Kronos was released to minimize loss. Hindsight, I may have been better keeping it, but such is life.

Anyways, I am sure I may take some advantage of the Kronos' other features, but sound quality is the key.

So taking all into consideration, Krome still enough? Or the Kronos, and is the X version worth the premium right now?

I appreciate the feedback by the way. I agree messing with them is the best, but here there is nothing to try. I buy everything blind (which is why I have had 30 since I buy, and then sell them).
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only effective differences between the regular Kronos and the X are more RAM and a bigger hard drive for samples and storage in the X. You can upgrade the regular Kronos to the same specs if you like. Or get an even bigger SSD. So I'd really recommend finding a "regular" Kronos for a little less money, especially if you'll mainly be browsing preset for now.

If you're already doubting the Krome... I'd really say go for the Kronos. Every bit of gear wears and starts to sound duller over time but with the Kronos the analog engines and nearly limitless sample expansion will greatly extend its lifespan for you.

I'm biased, I have a Kronos 88... But I'm also a pro and I've had (and have) a lot of gear and still have to say; it's a joy to play every time, and the most rewarding board to program that I've ever owned.
JCT

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="SanderXpander"]The only effective differences between the regular Kronos and the X are more RAM and a bigger hard drive for samples and storage in the X. You can upgrade the regular Kronos to the same specs if you like. Or get an even bigger SSD. So I'd really recommend finding a "regular" Kronos for a little less money, especially if you'll mainly be browsing preset for now.

If you're already doubting the Krome... I'd really say go for the Kronos. Every bit of gear wears and starts to sound duller over time but with the Kronos the analog engines and nearly limitless sample expansion will greatly extend its lifespan for you.

I'm biased, I have a Kronos 88... But I'm also a pro and I've had (and have) a lot of gear and still have to say; it's a joy to play every time, and the most rewarding board to program that I've ever owned.[/quote]

I am not a pro but I play one in my mind. Smile Seriously, this is me...start reasonable, and end up top-of-the-line. Only with my keyboards though...most stuff I am fine being cheap with.

And I am with you...Kronos is about $500 cheaper than the X. And as you said, if I ever needed to bump up something I can.

Now my usual...is 61 REALLY enough... Besides the number of keys, and the fact the 73 and 88 are weighted, are all Kronos' the same? My only thought is if there is a performance I don't want 2 boards, but need/want to use the Kronos, I know 61 won't do it. Its a trap...in my own mind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: