Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Krome VS Korg M3 - replacement or not?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tranztek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Krome VS Korg M3 - replacement or not? Reply with quote

Most people seem to be saying that the Krome is an M50 replacement more than a cut down Kronos - where does it fit in for the Korg M3 owner? (me, who cant afford a Kronos).

What advantages would I get from it? Or are there too many disadvantages?
uniformedservices1969

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow

Last edited by uniformedservices1969 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
uniformedservices1969

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow

Last edited by uniformedservices1969 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
guillex

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M3: Karma, Vocoder, Radias, Sampler, Pads, XY Motion,.

I will never trade my M3 expanded with radias, for a Krome... Wink
tranztek

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only reason for changing is the quality of the sounds really, but I do like th Radias board on my M3.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO only -

For an M3 owner Krome wold get you a great piano, some nice EPs and some very nice (jazz kit) drums over and above or at least different than what you have already on the M3... plus the M50 engine which is, for an m3 owner, a nice but not necessary augmentation of the sounds you already have.

If you have the unweighted M3 keybed, having the weighted key version of Krome could also be considered an advantage for playing and expression, while the weight of that 'board is less than you'd have otherwise with almost any other 88 key model.

------

If you have the M3-88, having an unweighted Krome keyboard might constitute a technical and live playing advantage because again, the tone colors of the m3 and m50 engines are pretty close. I like an unweighted board much better for synth, brass and organ playing - and if you don't care to schlep the m3 to gigs then the Krome would be a reasonable substitute that would let you set-up same or very similar combis and programs (albeit with no Karma/no pads) with a lot less additional weight/bulk.

Best of both worlds -- but it assumes you're dedicated to keeping and even expanding the m3 as previous posters have advised.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
xp50player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After trying the Krome in-store last Friday, I would rather have the M3 than that, even if without the Krome's piano/EPs. It just feels like an entry level instrument, which is fine if that's where you are in the market or need something light. The buttons don't light up and the Krome was underneath another keyboard, so I really couldn't find my way around easlily in the dark. Also, no ribbon controller or bank of sliders like the M3. Sound-wise it was good, especially for the money, just no magical vibe to it because of the cheap construction.
Suiciety

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long time reader, first time poster here. Hi everyone!

In re to the Krome, I've been eyeing it for a couple of weeks now. The 88 and 61 key versions just arrived at my local GC and I'll most likely drop by to give it a test run. I'm in the market for a new synth/workstation.

I sold/donated my prior gear (to name a few: M3 and Fantom G - both 61 keys) due to lack of interest and inspiration. Although I kept my classic Triton (I just couldn't part with it) and tinker with Logic every now and then. I prefer to actually play a keyboard rather than point and click in Logic. I guess I'm old school (in a way). I'm not in a band or play at functions, my synths simply were used for recreation and allowed me to drift away to another place for a little while.

So, I'm kind of torn as to what to purchase (money isn't an issue): Yamaha Motif XF 61, Yamaha MOX6, Korg Krome (it's really a somewhat beefed up version of the M50 I think) or Access Virus TI2. My brain tells me Krome or MOX6 since I'll be using it for recreation. My heart tells me get the Motif XF (I've been a Roland and Korg fanboy for too long and my very first synth was a DX21). And the kid in me screams Virus!! Since I play/compose/program mostly EBM/Industrial music the obvious choice would be the Virus, but I'll be back to those pesky DAWs. Bah! Perhaps I just need to get with the program and get a decent MIDI keyboard (for a lot less money than the above) and use a damn soft synth.

Since I'm an impulse shopper, I'll most likely end up with a Krome today. Meh...
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Motif sequencer is generally considered to be pretty good, if you'd really like to stay as much with the keyboard as possible. The middle road (sequencer wise) would be an iPad, if you have one. Synths that support CoreAudio and CoreMidi over USB are really well integrated.

Honestly, if money is no issue, of the ones you listed the XF is by far the best board (with the possible exception of the Krome's piano and EP, though even that is a matter of taste). Why are you even considering the Krome instead of the Kronos?
Suiciety

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback and that's a fair question. I nearly caved and purchased the Kronos several months ago, but after messin' around with it for an hour at GC, I walked away with a meh feeling. If I'm going to spend over $3K, the synth better wow me, and it didn't. And I wasn't really sold on KARMA with my M3. I know KARMA has it strong points, but my initial reaction was...where the hell is my arp button? Oh, it's inside something else and I have to do a little bit of tinkering to set up an arp? Meh...

The Krome on the other hand won't nag at me if I purchase it. I can justify spending $1K vs. $3.2K a lot easier and not feel regret later on. Since my time spent on the synth will be primarily for my own personal recreation, the Kronos doesn't make a lot sense to me. And the Krome doesn't have KARMA. Arp button FTW! Wink

I probably agree with you that the Motif XF will be a better choice in the long run. Thanks!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, apart from the excellent pianos and EPs I think most of Kronos' power lies in its flexibility for programming. The synth presets aren't particularly spectacular, and many "acoustic" sounds could be improved a lot (most people like the Motif better for those).

I don't know if you're more the programming kind (like me) or more a preset browser, but especially if you're the latter, the Motif probably has the edge. For me personally, there was no question - I had to go for the Kronos.
tranztek

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I probably will keep my Korg M3 for the time being - I found it more inspirational than either the Fantom G or Motif XS. So I will probably invest in a 2nd synth like an Novation Ultranova or Warldorf Blofeld.
vineet.pal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suiciety wrote:
Thanks for the feedback and that's a fair question. I nearly caved and purchased the Kronos several months ago, but after messin' around with it for an hour at GC, I walked away with a meh feeling. If I'm going to spend over $3K, the synth better wow me, and it didn't. And I wasn't really sold on KARMA with my M3. I know KARMA has it strong points, but my initial reaction was...where the hell is my arp button? Oh, it's inside something else and I have to do a little bit of tinkering to set up an arp? Meh...

The Krome on the other hand won't nag at me if I purchase it. I can justify spending $1K vs. $3.2K a lot easier and not feel regret later on. Since my time spent on the synth will be primarily for my own personal recreation, the Kronos doesn't make a lot sense to me. And the Krome doesn't have KARMA. Arp button FTW! Wink

I probably agree with you that the Motif XF will be a better choice in the long run. Thanks!

LOL are you kidding me ??? KARMA doesnt makes sense to you, you dont like the krome much... what you doing on Korg Forum then noob?
tranztek

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, my old post from 4 years ago! In the end I went to a used Korg Kronos 61 via a Fantom G. And I'm STILL looking at the blofeld, ultranova or sledge synths.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: