Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Krome 73 or M3 73?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Krome 73 or M3 73? Reply with quote

This is probably one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions but...

If you had a choice between an M3 73 and the Krome 73 which one would you go for and why?

I am torn between the two and while the M3 does have sampling and Karma these are not things I use that much anyway...

There is the cost difference but I can get a used M3 61 for only a few hundred more than the new Krome, but it is only 61 keys....does anyone know if it possible to buy a replacement 73 note M3 keybed by itself?

I am not usually this ambivalent on choices but on this one I am stuck so any advice from experienced users of these boards would be appreciated...never really tried an M3 before...

Thanks
mocando
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is really kind of hard to tell. Feature by feature they are very similar, having the M3 the edge and overwhelming the Krome in sampling and in/outs area. But if those features are not really appealing to you, or if you value size and portability more, then the Krome is a no brainer. She has a better touchscreen, and newer and better piano, ep and drum samples, but not many much over the M3.

As with always, you will make the best decision based on your own information.

Korg Gear: Wavestation
Korg Software: KLC Wavestation, iWavestation for iPad
Non Korg: M-Audio Code 61 MIDI Controller, Nektar GX49 MIDI Controller
Music Computing: 16in Macbook Pro with Touch Bar Mid 2019, i9 32GB RAM 2TB Flash, MacOS Catalina - 2019 iPad Air 64GB
Software: Apple MainStage, Arturia V Collection 7, Arturia OB-Xa V
Visit: Synth Fans :: Everything Synths Twitter: @korgfans
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Martin - yeah I know but sometimes the smallest bit of advice can get one thinking down a different line and can often make the decision easier, or clearer.

I live about 700 kilometers from the nearest store for Krome, and the M3 is coming from further than that so I do not have any opportunity to get in and actually play them before buying.

In Australia we do not have the same return policies with dealers and stores that musos in the states enjoy Smile

The one thing that DOES bother me is the quality of the Krome keybed. It is a Medeli one and not Fatar, and if it is anything like the M50 keybed (and I suspect it is) it is total rubbish. No matter WHAT spin Korg marketing might put on it...

Cheers,
Dennis

PS: by the way I am talking the 73 note versions of the keybeds, not the 88's
Chriskk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Krome 73 or M3 73? Reply with quote

miden wrote:

I am torn between the two and while the M3 does have sampling and Karma these are not things I use that much anyway...

Why are you torn between the two if you don't use sampling & karma?
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quality of construction, editing capability and audio options (as in no wav or mp3 on the Krome)...oh and price...but the M3 is close enough in price to make the stretch
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add that at present I am using a Sonic Cell with the Ultimate Keys and Studio SRX cards matched up to a Studiologic VMK 176 Plus (Fatar) fully weighted 76 note controller..(uses the Fatar Grand Touch action).

That is what I am looking to replace.
uniformedservices1969

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow

Last edited by uniformedservices1969 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Thom - 88 is a bit too long to fit in the car...76/73 has always seemed to be the sweet spot for me.

But as a side-note, I must say manufacturers could really look at the overall length of the 88's...I don't why they have to be SOOOO long!!

Although, the M3 88 might be an option if I can find an "after-market" M3 73 note keybed..

I believe that the module itself is the same for all three...that way I can use the 88 at home, and use the 73 for gigging...but to now, I have not been able to find anywhere that actually sells the keybeds by themselves!!

And I have been looking hard too Smile

Dennis
Ajbbklyn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my knowledge, the M3 keybed was never offered as a standalone option.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: