Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Disk Drive Not Reading on Trinity

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisz1029

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Disk Drive Not Reading on Trinity Reply with quote

I've been using a Korg Trinity Plus off & on for 10 years. I've recorded a lot of pieces of music and saved them to floppy disk.

I hadn't used the keyboard in almost a year, and when I fired it up to load a floppy disk, it kept spinning but said the disk was unformatted. I tried all my Trinity Floppy disks, all having the same problem. I clean out the disk drive thinking it might of just been dusty from not being used in so long, but no luck there.

I even tried a brand new floppy disk, and tried to format it using the Trinity Disk Drive, and still no luck. Does this mean my disk drive is shot? Or is there a simple fix to this?
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did 'cleaning' in you post involve the use of a head cleaning floppy disk? If not, I'd strongly advise to try it. Until you cannot format a fresh floppy, you should not expect it to read other disks.
samriccijr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrisz1029:

I just replaced my floppy drive last nite.

The drive motor would spin the belt but the belt slips on the wheel. I used a 1.4 floppy drive from a pc. I took the metal cover off the drive and carefully wiped the heads clean. Sony drives fall apart when you do this..... Put the metal cover back on...

Remove the bottom of the Trinity. Flip the unit so the floppy is to the top left.

Remove 5 screws (3 to the right and 2 to the left.) Have a magnet and tweezers ready because you will drop the screws into the body. Unplug the cables and lift the sled out. Unscrew the bezel and the sled. Put the newer floppy drive in sled. Connect cables and test before you put everything back together.

The Sony drives (that fell apart) did not work - but the one I robbed from an old pc works like a charm.

Sam, keeping the Trinity alive for another day....
Defy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Trinity doesnt load any floppy disk .... Reply with quote

samriccijr wrote:
Chrisz1029:

I just replaced my floppy drive last nite.

The drive motor would spin the belt but the belt slips on the wheel. I used a 1.4 floppy drive from a pc. I took the metal cover off the drive and carefully wiped the heads clean. Sony drives fall apart when you do this..... Put the metal cover back on...

Remove the bottom of the Trinity. Flip the unit so the floppy is to the top left.

Remove 5 screws (3 to the right and 2 to the left.) Have a magnet and tweezers ready because you will drop the screws into the body. Unplug the cables and lift the sled out. Unscrew the bezel and the sled. Put the newer floppy drive in sled. Connect cables and test before you put everything back together.

The Sony drives (that fell apart) did not work - but the one I robbed from an old pc works like a charm.

Sam, keeping the Trinity alive for another day....

I had the same problem. Orig. FDD in my TRI was Matsushita EME216KR model with the belt. Belt was problem / after years was not so flexible a finally is stretched /. I look for some replacement of FDD but I didnt know what type or model is compatible with Trinity. Todaay I can confirm that Samsung SFD-321B work with Trinity system right way. Loading, saving, disk format..... What is better that this Samsung hasn´t any belt.
[img] Laughing [/img]
Vesa
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my gear has been at the attic for like 15 years, brought them down one by one over a months time and today I was gonna load some Programs (downloaded PCG file saved to new/unopened pack with 1.44MB floppies via USB floppy drive): All the Trinity drive was doing was noise ! I guess there's a broken belt. Wouldn't even format, old/new 1.44 or old 720 floppies.

So I looked at eBay, found refurbished drives for £7 and £9, never used ones for £19, I ordered two of the £9 for a total of £32 incl shipping to Sweden. TRITON-Rack is only ~5 years newer, who knows when its drive fails.

Quote:
Seller refurbished:

The item has been restored to working order by the eBay seller or a third party.
This means the item was inspected, cleaned, and repaired to full working order and is in excellent condition.
This item may or may not be in original packaging. See seller’s listing for full details.

Roland JV-1010 / Triton-Rack 96MB / Trinity Plus PBS-TRI / Yamaha MOTIF6 64MB / Roland Fantom-XR 512MB / Yamaha MOXF6 1GB / Roland XV-3080 / Roland FANTOM-06 / Yamaha MODX6+ / E-mu Proteus 2000 / Roland XV-5080 128MB / Kross 1 / Kross 2
machinus

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Floppy Disk died, I bought two ZIP drives. One on USB for my PC and one on SCSI port of the Trinity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Trinity All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: