Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"File Already Exists" confusion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hammondcuni
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: "File Already Exists" confusion Reply with quote

Hello
When Im recording into an audio track everytime I want to patch a part I get " File Already Exists" it doesnt let me to even over write. Am i missing a step somewhere?
Thanks
AlchemistMusicStudio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: "File Already Exists" confusion Reply with quote

You should change NAME of the file (file of the same name already exists on the disk). Use the Select Directory/File for Sample to Disk menu command.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AlchemistMusicStudio
http://www.myspace.com/remiplanet
hammondcuni
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMS but it was doing this as I was recording meaning that as I wanted to do a part all over it would stop me with that message. Do you mean name the actual audio track?
AlchemistMusicStudio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are You doing? Please, step by step... Slowly and thoroughly.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AlchemistMusicStudio
http://www.myspace.com/remiplanet
hammondcuni
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Im recording a song in sequencer. Recording 10 midi tracks and 5 audio tracks. Had everything recorded but I wanted to go back and auto punch record a section of a guitar part which is in audio track 2. When i pressed the record button it gave me the"file already exist". But before i hit the record button I did erase that measure I was going to re record. But in one instance it did let me record but I didnt like the take so I started again and it gave me the "file already exist". At that point I figured that my Kronos was sort of freezing up. To finish the song I just used another track and it worked.
roly D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record, I have experienced the same issue.

p.s. I realise this is a pretty boring first post...
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammondcuni- From page 251 of the OG:

"A “File already exists” message appears, and you can’t
record.
• In the P0: Play/REC– Preference page, change the
name of the WAVE file that you’re going to record.
• Delete the files in the TEMP folder."

And thos from page 259:

"Meaning: When recording an audio track, an
identically‐named WAVE file exists in the save destination
on the disk.
• Either delete the existing file, or use the Sequencer
P0– Preference page to specify a different name."

No references in the QS or PG. I found this by searching the terms "File already exists" in the PDF. Hope this helps. I think it is Korg's way of keeping you from accidently deleting an audio track. I guess they couldn't program an "are you sure?" warning message and maybe the sequencer doesn't have an "Undo" function.
hammondcuni
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ronnfigg I"ll try this today.
hammondcuni
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronnfigg Im in front of Kronos now. When you mean change name do you mean of the individual track itself right below the recording level meter?
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am referencing the OG. I have never done this as I don't do much sequencing. You may want to review the OG section on creating songs. Search the pdf for something like "over dubbing".
hammondcuni
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ronnfigg I"ll check that out..
ParsonPage

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Filre Already Exists - Solution?? Reply with quote

hammondcuni:

I am dealing with this same dilemma. Unable to record/overwrite on ay audio track that was recorded previously/the day before (for example).

Did you (or anyone else on the forum) identify a solution? I appreciate your feedback.

Steve

Gear: Korg Kronos X, Roland XV-3080, EMU Proteus, Eurorack Mixer, Tannoy Monitors, Gibson Victory Guitar, Zoom G7.1ut, Line 6 Spider 4 (2x12)
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Filre Already Exists - Solution?? Reply with quote

ParsonPage wrote:
hammondcuni:

I am dealing with this same dilemma. Unable to record/overwrite on ay audio track that was recorded previously/the day before (for example).

Did you (or anyone else on the forum) identify a solution? I appreciate your feedback.

Steve

The Operation Guide has a section titled "Error and confirmation messages," which I find to be a handy reference. It has explanations and, when applicable, solutions for every error message which can be encountered on the KRONOS. Give it a try!
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
ramair350

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: How to fix the audio recording "file already exists& Reply with quote

First, I am calling this a "problem" because it WAS indeed a problem for me (exactly as you other guys described). I honestly believe it to be more of a user error and not a "real" problem, but regardless, it is a headache for some of us.

Our friendly Korg guy chipped in about the operations guide, and while it does have a section titled "Error and confirmation messages," I do not think most mere mortals will solve this particular challenge based on what is in the guide (by the way, overall the guides have been great for me ... the Kronos is my first keyboard, and in 2 months I have gone from having trouble playing anything but the default piano to making a bunch of mind-blowing dance tracks ... love the Kronos!)

OK - on to the problem. I have several songs and am trying to record some vocals. I was able to record without any problem the first go-round, BUT after about a week (and powering the keyboard on and off a couple of times), I suddenly started getting the error when trying to overwrite one of my audio tracks.

I tried all of the tricks. I tried renaming files out the wazoo through the menu path. Didn't help. the only thing that worked was picking a new audio track, but I could not overwrite my original tracks no matter what I tried.

ON TO THE SOLUTION ...

1. Be sure your song is loaded and you are on the right song Smile
2. Scroll through and pick your audio track that is giving you trouble (just beneath the song, as if you are picking the track that you are about to record).
3. Click on the "Preference" tab.
4. In the center of the screen (and close to the bottom), you'll see the audio input level slider, the name of the audio track, AND the all-important "take" number at the bottom of the box.
5. Select the take number, which is probably at #1 (which I believe to be the "problem" ... it defaults back to the first take).
6. Increment the number until you ARE able to record without getting the error message. I apparently had 5 takes the first time I tried recording my audio track one. I tried to set the take value to 2, tried to record and got the same error, set it to 3, error, and so on ... finally made it to the number 6 and my recording worked (and sounded terrible - I was so shocked it was actually recording instead of giving me the error!).
7. At some point (not necessary though) you can delete the "bad" takes by using the "disk" and "utilities" part of the Kronos, but for now it doesn't hurt to have the old takes sitting out there unless your drive fills up.

I am sure this IS an intentional "feature" to keep all of your takes and not actually overwrite anything accidentally. And technically, by incrementing the "take" number, you actually ARE changing the file name, but just the take number. I hope this makes sense and can help some other folks out there ... if anyone still has any problems or I wasn't clear with the post, let me know and I'll elaborate. Good luck and happy Korging!
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, try changing the "Take" number, as ramair350 just explained. Once you record that first audio pass, you can see the VU level meters, on the PREFERENCE page. "TakeNo" (Values 0 - 99), is at the bottom of each meter.

From the manual:

Quote:
The Take number specified by Take No will automatically be assigned as the last two characters in the name of the Region and WAVE files that are saved.......

(if Take is checked) After each recording, this number will automatically increase by one from the previous take.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: