Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stick recommendations?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LD67

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Stick recommendations? Reply with quote

I currently only have my regular sticks, 5A & 5B.

Anyone recommend any certain sticks for any specific program/instrument?
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy, I could get carried away with this topic if I'm not careful.

I think we've discussed this a bit before, but having it's own thread is probably a good idea.

I would recommend trying as many different types of sticks and mallets that you can reasonably afford. I have found the response of the Wavedrum to vary quite a bit depending on the exact type of mallet being used. I ended up buying more sticks, brushes and mallets than ever before when I started to really explore the Wavedrum.

This is particularly noticeable when playing on the rim. I've really found that some programs will respond quite differently with even a slight change of mallets (semi-hard to soft, for example). Even the weight of different mallets will affect the way in which some of the multiple voicings will be heard. There have been many times when I wasn't attracted to a particular program until I just happened to play it with a particular brush, multi-rod or mallet, only to discover that it would bring out the different sounds in a new way. Having a large arsenal of sticks opened up many new possibilities for me. After a while, I can get very picky about using only one pair of plastic brushes over another, or one set of medium timpani mallets over another, for a particular sound. It really comes to down to all the little nuances, and certain sticks will prove to be just perfect for a particular program depending on how I'm playing.

Here's one demo that I quickly dug up that provides a glimpse of some of the sticks that I've collected.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jST4HUnAdeE

Admittedly, it's ironic that I only really demonstrate using my hands in this video, but you can see my stick bag and mallet tray behind me. Embarassed
I really did use them all (just not in this particular clip). Wink They were there for a reason though.

Just to be clear: I'm not overly obsessive about it (because obviously you can still do quite a lot with just your hands or one pair of sticks) but there are some sounds and textures that I never would have discovered had I not approached the Wavedrum with a great deal of curiosity.

Explore the possibilities. You might surprise yourself. And you don't necessarily have to spend a lot of money. You can simply add some tape or padding to a pair of sticks and see how that affects different programs. I modify a lot of my sticks and mallets. The tricks is to experiment with a LOT of different programs. It takes time, but that's where the fun begins, and you can really discover you own approach to the Wavedrum. To me, that's the best part of the process.
Gizmo1300

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Wavedrummer said you will end up with a wide choice.
As a start I would recommend a medium mallet and brushes.
You can always flip the mallets and use the wood end and the medium seems to give a good reboud with softer textures
As for sticks I have found that lighter ones are a good start because the wavedrum skin does not have a lot of rebound so you get a bit better response.
Another simple trick, I now wear rings on each hand that I can use to strike the rim when playing by hand. This allows huge variation.
LD67

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys.

i forgot to ask if there were any sticks i should NOT use. i JUST got the wavedrum and it's pretty different from a regular drum, to say the least. i'm not used to the head yet and i was worried of causing damage to it by using the wrong sticks.

i looked around and i saw hard mallets, as well as medium and soft. some had plastic balls, some had rubber balls, some were cloth, etc... i'm kinda worried about destroying my new toy. just in case, i already ordered a remo fibersyn 3 for backup.
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gizmo1300 wrote:
Another simple trick, I now wear rings on each hand that I can use to strike the rim when playing by hand. This allows huge variation.
Agreed. Wearing a ring on at least one of your fingers can open up huge possibilities for playing the rim. Most people who wear a wedding ring tend to do use it on the rim instinctively. I've got a few different rings that I mess around with as well.

As far as heads go: Don't expect that original head to last too long. It won't. It doesn't matter what sticks you use, it's going to wear out quickly.

Check this thread for more head info:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=58473

LD67 wrote:
i forgot to ask if there were any sticks i should NOT use
Try them all. Just use common sense when playing the Wavedrum and you should be fine.
OhioBuckeye

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone using Steel drum sticks? So far the ones I'm using seem to be good about not being over powering but yet can get all the sounds out easily enough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavedrum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: