Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Warning: Kronos OS 2.0.6 path length problem (bug?)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saxifraga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Warning: Kronos OS 2.0.6 path length problem (bug?) Reply with quote

Hi! I ran into trouble using a folder structure with some unusual long folder and file names with spaces.
(Being a Mac developer I am now used to using very long names. Not foobar etc.)

When I tried to save all PCG/KSC etc. into this folder (DISK mode -> save all) I got a message during the save process about the path being invalid.
The system tried to save the samples (NEWMS000) in an additional folder structure but messed up. The subfolders could not be deleted because the delete routine also is unable to handle the very long path I created.

Only renaming the very long top level folder name made it possible to remove everything and start again with shorter folder names.

I think this is really not state of the art but as ever: we have to life with this old style 90ties OS. Sad (Itīs like Apple OS 7 + multitasking sound engines)

Has anyone encountered the same problem?

Do Korg/Yamaha/Roland really think they can go on with this kind of crappy retro OSes and add only some iPad Apps to it? Rolling Eyes
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a max length for all chars in full path and is not too big, it states it in the manual somewhere I think.

Someone else had this issue on the forum recently, might be worth searching for it.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Warning: Kronos OS 2.0.6 path length problem (bug?) Reply with quote

Saxifraga wrote:
Hi! I ran into trouble using a folder structure with some unusual long folder and file names with spaces.
(Being a Mac developer I am now used to using very long names. Not foobar etc.)

When I tried to save all PCG/KSC etc. into this folder (DISK mode -> save all) I got a message during the save process about the path being invalid.
The system tried to save the samples (NEWMS000) in an additional folder structure but messed up. The subfolders could not be deleted because the delete routine also is unable to handle the very long path I created.

Only renaming the very long top level folder name made it possible to remove everything and start again with shorter folder names.

I think this is really not state of the art but as ever: we have to life with this old style 90ties OS. Sad (Itīs like Apple OS 7 + multitasking sound engines)

Has anyone encountered the same problem?

Do Korg/Yamaha/Roland really think they can go on with this kind of crappy retro OSes and add only some iPad Apps to it? Rolling Eyes

the 90's were pretty good. I much prefer the 80's. And there was less griping back then. People actually were more patient and tried to get the facts straight beforehand Smile
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, the 70s were the best, better music, nice smoke and you used to be happy as larry with a teletype.
JPWC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 90's were not that cool, no Korg Kronos as yet.

Sorry Saxifraga, you need to stick the correct path, "the straight and narrow".

Problem with data management is evident by most people's computer, a desktop with a hundred different files right on top, or a file structure so complex, they can not find anything. Very Happy

I recommend my workflow, stop trying to make the Kronos something it's not and live within the constraints, only venture out with analog equipment, where there are no files to structure, or name, just some knob position to remember.

You think the Kronos is hard, try and reconfigure an acoustic piano.

Sorry Saxi, I'll just shut-up.
Kronos-6, Krome, M3, Radias, KingKorg, microKorg, KP-2, KP-3, KO-1, KO-1 PRO, Karma, microX, monotron, monotribe, PadCONTROL, Wavedrum Mini, Volca Keys, Beats, Bass, Sample, monotron Duo & Delay, microArranger, M1, Wavestation, Volca Sample, Keys, Beats & Bass, MS-20

JD-XA, JD-Xi, Aira (system 1, TB3, TR8, MX-1), Prophet 12, Mopho X4, Jupiter-80, FA-06, D50, CS1x, CZ101, DX200, AN200, analogFOUR, MachineDrum, MonoMachine, Motif XF6, Virus Snow, Nord Lead 2X, OP-1, MFOS, Tenori-on, QY100, QY70, meeblip se, miniBrute, microBrute, Bass Station 2
LivePsy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People with long filenames should be shot. Its a name, not a sentence. I still have nightmares of the old days (Netware) where a workgroup created folders with composer's work and full names with the correct umlaut, cedillas and accents etc. Nightmare transferring those folders!

Yes, my point is, its a name. Be kind to your kronos.
B
Saxifraga

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sound all so establishment like: "Itīs just the way it is. Things will never change." Is that your favorite motto?

Korgs programmers need to rewrite the whole system. Itīs crap from the 90ties by todays standards and the last machine I bought from any "workstation" producer. Evil or Very Mad
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saxifraga wrote:
You sound all so establishment like: "Itīs just the way it is. Things will never change." Is that your favorite motto?

Korgs programmers need to rewrite the whole system. Itīs crap from the 90ties by todays standards and the last machine I bought from any "workstation" producer. Evil or Very Mad

Never mind the time dimension. In another parallel universe dimension.............maybe you are happy with everything Very Happy Crying or Very sad
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saxifraga wrote:

No, they don't.

I would also argue the the Kronos is the most sophisticated instrument ever made. I would suggest not allowing a filename length restriction to keep you from enjoying it.
Saxifraga

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeroesque wrote:
Saxifraga wrote:

No, they don't.

I would also argue the the Kronos is the most sophisticated instrument ever made. I would suggest not allowing a filename length restriction to keep you from enjoying it.

Of course I am enjoying the sound of my Kronos. Have bought two sound libraries recently which sound great (KRS-54 and EXs-62). But why should I enjoy a crappy UI?
I can distinguish between good and bad things.

You link about Netscape made me laugh!
Do you know what Steve Jobs did with his team of highly professional people he extracted from Appel when they put him in the attic? He wrote NeXTstep (or better supervised the rewrite). Itīs the foundation of todays Mac OS X / iOS and the first OS that used object oriented programming throughout the whole system on top of UNIX. If Apple had not bought NeXT back they would be history now. So donīt cherry pick. Both possibilities happened in the past and not the best system wins always. Most people want a product cheap, bad and more often then necessary.
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The process you describe took 15 years and involved massive executive-level changes in multiple large companies. How is this a good example for what Korg should do to give you longer filenames?

Edit: removed unnecessary quote from above post.
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saxifraga wrote:
Zeroesque wrote:
Saxifraga wrote:

No, they don't.

Of course I am enjoying the sound of my Kronos. Have bought two sound libraries recently which sound great (KRS-54 and EXs-62). But why should I enjoy a crappy UI?
I can distinguish between good and bad things.

You link about Netscape made me laugh!
Do you know what Steve Jobs did with his team of highly professional people he extracted from Appel when they put him in the attic? He wrote NeXTstep (or better supervised the rewrite). Itīs the foundation of todays Mac OS X / iOS and the first OS that used object oriented programming throughout the whole system on top of UNIX. If Apple had not bought NeXT back they would be history now. So donīt cherry pick. Both possibilities happened in the past and not the best system wins always. Most people want a product cheap, bad and more often then necessary.

If you count NextStep as an OS then you also must count Smalltalk as an OS. Smalltalk was around nearly 20 years before NextStep so calling NextStep the first Object Oriented OS is a bit much!

NextStep was never that great anyway, I hated it when I worked on it in the late 80s.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The filename length in the Kronos hasn't been a real problem for me.
I have used the Fantom G before: now that really was a filename problem for about everything, with a DOS level layout from the eigthies.

I have zero problems with the Kronos limits, since I once took notice of them, and just avoid running into them (not hard to do). If Korg should ever develop a challenge for OSX on a synth, they would probably do more with it than using it for the synth. Laughing
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think it's a huge compliment that people are even comparing Kronos OS (which basically just runs a synthesizer!) to things like iOS or even OSX, which are developed as multi-featured OSs ans to be basically a platform for other developers.

If you compare Kronos OS to, as Jim said, Fantom G OS or much worse, Kurzweil OS or Yamaha OS, it doesn't come off nearly as badly.

I'm definitely all for improvements and more intuitive operation. But if you take note of the limitations the Kronos is currently hardly constraining my creative needs.
ed_f
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was struck recently when having to go back and do work on my triton. Those old dos naming formats. Made me think how much more advanced Kronos is. And with FTP the fact that I can basically drag and drop anything from my Mac right onto my Kronos is an amazing step forward. I haven't had a name problem and haven't felt the constraints of the triton which seemed pretty advanced at the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: