Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos X popping and snapping
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bubar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Kronos X popping and snapping Reply with quote

I have owned a Triton Studio for several years. Last week I purchased a Kronos X 88 key. I have noticed a small bit of "popping" and "distortion" that resembles clipping. This happens only occasionally. I can reboot and It will usually fix it. However, reboot takes too long. And this problem may get worse. Am I doing something wrong or should I send it back?
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos X popping and snapping Reply with quote

Bubar wrote:
I have owned a Triton Studio for several years. Last week I purchased a Kronos X 88 key. I have noticed a small bit of "popping" and "distortion" that resembles clipping. This happens only occasionally. I can reboot and It will usually fix it. However, reboot takes too long. And this problem may get worse. Am I doing something wrong or should I send it back?

All depends on what your setup is - powered or manual speakers / cables / PC or Mac usb or midi etc

Check all cables / wires

Headphone out crackling or popping or just speakers

Provide more info if you can
Bubar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am coming out of the MAIN LR outputs going into a Mackie mixer, into a large sound system. This cracking, popping and snapping (clipping?)
will usually disappear if I reboot. I may go a couple of days before I notice it again. This is a new KRONOS X right out of the box with no modifications.
synthskier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try updating to the latest OS. I noticed what I think you're talking about with version 2.0.1 or 2.0.2 (can't remember). Haven't heard the problem with the latest version.
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubar wrote:
I am coming out of the MAIN LR outputs going into a Mackie mixer, into a large sound system. This cracking, popping and snapping (clipping?)
will usually disappear if I reboot. I may go a couple of days before I notice it again. This is a new KRONOS X right out of the box with no modifications.

If you use headphones plugged directly into the Kronos does that pop?

This is a way of testing if the problem is internal or external - like in your cables or mixer.

So please try that and let us know?
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check your power cable. A loose fitting plug can cause noise problems, especially the ground terminal.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
JonSolo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never noticed that kind of noise coming from my Kronos..but I have heard so odd digital type of noise...it was NOT associated with the Combi or Prog as it is not heard through the headphones when directly plugged into the Kronos. My line must be turned WAY up...and it is primarily when I am monitoring through headphones of my entire system.

It is not affected by turning the Kronos volume up or down but is affected by turning my mixer slider (on my mixing board) up or down. It is not a 60hz hum.

It reminds of the digital glass sound from the old Ensoniq SQ1, but really low maybe below -50dB.

Probably something that is on the same power line as my keyboard..or maybe even my computer fan...as the sound makes a turning/swishing noise. heh.

http://www.solosounds.net
http://jonsolo.me
http://www.soundcloud.com/jonsolo
http://www.twitter.com/thejonsolo

Windows 10 | Intel i9 9900K | 64 GB RAM | Scarlett 18i20 | Nektar Panorama P6
Korg Kronos - 88 | Korg Kronos 2 - 61 | Roland Fantom 6 | Push 2 | Maschine Mk2 | Slate ML1 | JBL LSR308/310
Nuendo 11 | Ableton Live 11 | Reason 12 | FL Studio 20.9
lonelagranger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the exact same thing happen to my Kronos X. I think I had it for about a week. I posted here but didn't get any replies. I was using the keyboards headphone out with AKG 240S headphones. It was the default piano patch that did all the crackling. The more notes I played the more crackling I would get. It was like it was a polyphony problem. I did a restart and it went away. It has never come back, but I don't use the keyboard a whole lot. A few times a week.

I first thought maybe I had knocked one of the ram chips loose. I really don't know what it was. I hope it doesn't happen again, and so far it hasn't. It is just one of those things with the keyboard that don't inspire confidence. Don't get me wrong. I really like it.

I really don't know what to suggest. If, however, it keeps appearing then I would call Korg. Mine just did it once. I hope this post doesn't jink it.

Good luck. I hope it all gets squared away.
Diego5150
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same issue with crackling on my Kronos X, I noticed it while playing the combi "dreaming while sleeping" It turned out to be the OS update that resolved the issue for me.
If you do not have the latest update, that would a good place to start.
Comrad_Durandal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only times when I encounter crackling or static like sound when playing my Kronos is when connected via digital and the sampling rate of the audio interface and the clock of the Kronos are not matched. At worst, I get no sound - but if they are close, I get distorted static-filled sound as you describe. However, given you are connected via analog jacks - I don't think that's your problem here.
lonelagranger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It turned out to be the OS update that resolved the issue for me.

I forgot to mention that I had the lastest OS, 2.0.6. I have no idea why it did it. Maybe the samples got corrupted on startup. It is scary when it happens.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos X popping and snapping Reply with quote

Bubar wrote:

Does it happen with ALL sounds in any mode? Need more info.
Hal2001

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the previous poster asked, a more specific description of the symptoms would be helpful. E.g. When I struck my keys harder, I was hearing some slight but bothersome "distortion", crackling, and breaking up of several acoustic and electric pianos within some combis both through speakers and especially noticeable through headphones. Since I was only using those combis for layering and not with Karma or drumtrack, I muted and changed "INT" to "Off" on the "Status" section of the "PrograSelect/Mixer page of the combi for every sound in the combi that I did not need. I then saved that combi as an alternate combi under a revised name to preserve the factory combi (I add my initials after it) and the distortion went away. Just muting it without changing the INT did not help. So, in this case, I think it had to do with exceeded polyphony.
lonelagranger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, in this case, I think it had to do with exceeded polyphony.

I agree with what you say, but find it hard to believe that Korg would allow one of their keyboards to exhibit this type of distortion. In the specifications they say that the engine that produces the piano sounds has 400 notes polyphony. It is stated as 100 stereo voices, the equivalent of 200 one element voices, undamped. When you push on the damper pedal it adds another 200 stereo voices. I would think 400 voices for polyphony should be enough. I play classical music and make generous use of the sustain pedal. The notes all sustain as they should and I have no dropouts so far. It was just this one time that I started it that it made these crackling noises. And, as you say it sounds like a polyphony problem.

I would think Korg would have put some kind of measure in place that this type of distortion would not occur, even it it meant using a voice stealing scheme. I know of no keyboard made that would crackle because of exceeding its polyphony. All they do is start dropping notes, but no distortion is ever produced.

Ayway I don't know why this happens but it did happen to me once. I hope it doesn't happen again. How could you possibly play in a live venue wondering if the sound you are playing is going to start to crackle and ruin your performance. It doesn't make sense that Korg would allow that to happen.

My thought anyway. Sorry to be so long winded.
MoonMusic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this happen in a new Yamaha XS once and it turned out, the RAM wasn't seated properly after shipping....I've never looked to see how hard it is to get into my Kronos to the RAM and it may void the warranty doing so but that's been my only experience with these types of symptoms.....Good Luck....moon
DAW - Protools 9 - HD3 Accel
Plugs - All Spectrasonics,Steve Slate Drums 4.0,Slate Trigger,NI Komplete 9 Ultimate,Korg Legacy,Melodyne 3,Evo Autotune,HD3 Pack,Liquid Mix, Eleven, Ample Sound Guitars
Mics - Audio Technica 4033sm, Apogee mic, several Shure SM-57s, 2- Beta 52, 2- AT 3031, 2- Samson CO2
Other - V-Drums, DW Drums, Zildjian A Customs, Muse Research Qu4ttro, Open Labs Miko Timbaland Edition
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: