Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Krome vs Triton LE Voices?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RDGBrian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Krome vs Triton LE Voices? Reply with quote

Hi,
I currently use a Triton LE as my main gigging board, which I love.
I am looking to replace my 2nd board set up, which consists of a Kurzweil SP88 controlling a Roland JV1010 and a EMU Xtreme Lead Turbo soiind modules. Set up during a gig is a pain in the arse with the Kurz & sound modules (rack mounted).

SO, have been thinking about the Krome. My question is, does the Krome have a completely new and different sound set from the Triton LE? Or, arethey the same voices?

Would the Triton LE paired with a Krome be a good combo? Or, should I look at Roland/Yamaha?

Cheers!
HowardK

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, which LE do you have? I had the 61 from 2002 (pretty much when it came out) until 2010. Although it did not have the pianos and EP's of the Motif 6 (which I purchased in 10/2002) the 2 complimented each other well.
In particular, I really liked the Trancy Euphoria combo.
I ended up trading it in for around $230 credit towards a Yamaha P95 at the end.

I recently purchased a Krome 61 (as well as a Korg SP280) the same week.
I find the keybed on the 61 to be an improvement and the sounds in general seem to be much improved. I did download the best of Triton soundset and perhaps a few are the same (but likely sound improved on the Krome)

Are there a few specific sounds on the LE you like the best?
My verdict is you would not need both.

If I still owned the LE I would have ended up craigslisting it to cover some of the Krome.
RDGBrian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 76 key LE. Got it around 2003 i think?? My memory is a bit foggy these days.

I really like the piano combi's. Particularly the Ballad Layer EP and the Hero Piano. I also like alot of the Moti's and Pads.

I just sold my Kurzweil on Criags list for $300. Cant bring myself to sell the Triton LE though. So, Im on my way to saving up for that Krome....I think. LOL Guess I have a thing for Korg's Smile

Will probalbly need to spend more hours at my local music store trying them all out.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you already have a workstation, why not compliment it with a more 'traditional' synthesizer, like a VA such as the KingKorg or perhaps an R3?

The Krome is miles ahead of the Triton in terms of realistic and high quality sounds but you will find a lot of sounds which are similar to what you already have. Many would say that the Triton has a 'fatter' (mostly more lo-fi, in a pleasing way) sound than the more modern Korgs. Because of this some sounds on the older Korgs often works better in a live environment.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
fenlinp

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I own the Krome 88 & Triton Le 61.
I find the sounds(especially pad sounds) on the Triton Le warmer than the Krome. The Acoustic & Electric Piano sounds on the Krome outshines the Triton Le by a million miles. I consider the 2 keyboards to be a good combination. I considered selling my Le & getting a Krome 61 but after comparing the 2 I decided to hold on to it because of it's characteristic warm tone.
guillex

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
If you already have a workstation, why not compliment it with a more 'traditional' synthesizer, like a VA such as the KingKorg or perhaps an R3?

The Krome is miles ahead of the Triton in terms of realistic and high quality sounds but you will find a lot of sounds which are similar to what you already have. Many would say that the Triton has a 'fatter' (mostly more lo-fi, in a pleasing way) sound than the more modern Korgs. Because of this some sounds on the older Korgs often works better in a live environment.

That's why I always add to my live setup a preamp , with a valve. I've already recommend on this forum to check this....works great with eps,clavs,hammond, and many many sounds.
I am using a mono preamp, because in many Pubs and places the pa is mono, I recommend the Behringer TUBE ULTRAGAIN MIC200, which includes different preamp models...cost nothing, works great...
solegremusic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the triton Le 61 for maybe over ten years now I don't use it anymore except for sampling to me the Krome does have that similar sound map structure but I do think its a all together a better machine. If the krome had the sample expansion it would be a complete machine but the fact that I don't have to buy memory for it tells me there are loads of sounds i probably won't get to use just because some sounds I don't use in hip hop. It's just like a little big brother to me more sounds and memory but the feel is very similar that's why I like it. If your interested in sampling check out www.kromeheaven.com they came up with a great software to help krome users get past that minor deficiency.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: