Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

microStation - First Impressions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fezzler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:43 am    Post subject: microStation - First Impressions Reply with quote

Debating whether to keep or send back to Sweetwater. I thought when I read it worked as a VST that the sound could be accessed and recorded in my DAW as a VSTi. First impressions:

Pluses +

+ Price, great value
+ Format/Size, I like the micro keys
+ Sounds, A++
+ Sweetwater Difference B3 Organ, A+++
+ ARP +
+ Quick Record, Sequencer, B
+ video manuals

Minuses -
- manuals, PDF, like 3 or 4 different one
- No VSTi access to sounds from within DAW
- Very difficult to setup as MIDI Keyboard. Two days and I can't get it going with Studio One Pro or REAPER (Axiom Air keyboard was EZ)

Any Studio One users here? If I can't get it to work with Studio One as an external device, it goes back.
bradkorg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: microStation - First Impressions Reply with quote

Fezzler wrote:
Minuses -
- manuals, PDF, like 3 or 4 different one
- No VSTi access to sounds from within DAW
- Very difficult to setup as MIDI Keyboard. Two days and I can't get it going with Studio One Pro or REAPER (Axiom Air keyboard was EZ)

Any Studio One users here? If I can't get it to work with Studio One as an external device, it goes back.

Dude, you need to copy/find the VST file "microSTATION Plug-In Editor.dll" located in (my) PC, when you installed the KORG mS VST> c:\Program Files\VstPlugIns\KORG\microSTATION Plug-In Editor.dll to Studio One!
Quote:
Knowledge Base/Studio One - General
Studio One - How do I add a 3rd party VST to Studio One?
Technical Support August 13, 2010

Windows users: Navigate to the Files/Options/Locations/VST Plug-ins

Mac OS X users: Navigate to Preferences/Options/ Locations/VST Plug-ins

Click on the Add button, and specify the location of your plug-in. Click OK.

You can also drag-and-drop any folder from the Explorer/Finder into the Locations list. Studio One Pro will then scan these locations at startup, including searching for new plug-ins you’ve added. You can always add more locations if needed. All 3rd Party AU, VST3, and ReWire920-enabled plug-ins and applications have their own file path in the OS and will not have to be located manually.

And before adding mS VST to Studio One, don't run the stand-alone mS editor! and run first Korg EZsetup before opening Studio One.
------

(need research: There is no such thing as direct external hardware sound engine/instrument sending USB Audio to DAW, without first converting the analog audio from ext. sound-engine to digital usb data to pc audio chip, converting digital data back to PC analog audio.

So sound quality could be/are degraded in many steps, depending the PC Audiochip quality/AD box etc., if otherwise take the audio output from the instrument directly to ext. mixer.)

(need research: Workstation such as Yamaha MOX6/8 with built-in A/D USB Audio is still/could be the same when you use mS line-out to PC line-in, with maybe the difference that the MOX has better VST/DAW software intergration with direct audio recording editor? and using only 1 usb cable!)

Could as well instruments with direct usb audio just sent the hardware sound-engine digital data to over usb and let PC Audiochip convert to analog sound, so Audio Quality depends on the used PC Audiochip!

See: http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/mox6_mox8_and_your_computer_a_getting_started_guide
Fezzler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. I got the USB driver working. I had to, for some reason, manually tell Windows to Update the Driver.

So the stand alone ediot works too.

Now to see if I can get it to work as a Plug In.

Others have asked "What is the benefit of a Plug In?" I guess all I can think is if you are doing recording or sound work with your DAW open and want to shape a sound on the fly - you can. Is that it?
Fezzler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All working now.

Editor and Plug-In and MIDI Controller within DAW.
Manus168

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first impression this gigs is so cute and minimalist and affordable price. thats why I take it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: