Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Official Korg Zero8 LCD touchpad issue crew
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvelop

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gave up and submitted my Zero8 to a local authorized repair shop.. Waiting on the results..

Last edited by dvelop on Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
stancollins

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines finally died today.
Slightly pissed off.
I'll have to call Korg UK and get mine repaired.
threearabs

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. I just read that you need to remove all the screws including on the chip. I was hesitant to try that to get to the two screws without knowing if I really had to. Will give it a go and if I can't get it working will try and find a repair shop in Australia.

Do you know if its possible to sequence the zero 8 effects via midi?
dvelop

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: service Reply with quote

just got a word back from the service shop, they charge 50 bucks towards the diagnostics, stated that its the touchscreen part of the lcd, not any connections or other issues. They ordered one for around 35 dollars from wherever and are quoting around 150 to 175 total, minus the original diag cost..

Pretty much where its at now as far as going through a Korg authorized service center..

Korg USA, and the main company were really of no help or had little concern other then just telling us all to send it to service. Its a shame that a company could give two shits about making its users happy or fixing an issue caused by their design or production. I would love to see how many zero8's were sold, and just how many had this LCD issue.. I'm also curious to see if after this repair, the issue ever comes back...
threearabs

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea on what's involved in accessing the firmware, but it would be great to get that opened up. Good on you for trying though man.
dvelop

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my Zero8 back, the authorized Korg service center told me it wasn't the LCD, or the touch panel, they said is was the connector, they also had to cut it and apply some glue or solder to get a proper connection or something, but the lcd Y parm now works fine for the time being.

After the repair though I now have a weird issue with some of the FX, namely FX26 - XY Decimator. FX57 - XY Feedback&DLY, FX72 - Looper & Decimator, FX83 - Ring Modulation, FX84 - LFo Ring Mod, FX92,93,94 - Decimator& Comp, & LPF FX. All of these effects are making some really nasty feedback noise, with nothing playing or even plugged into the mixer. On FX 92 if I set the rate to 4bit it pushes a ton of feedsback every time. Can someone check their FX and see what their mixer does with these specific FX. Also can you check if you have your fingers held on the LCD and switch the FX setting to another # without lifting your fingers do you have to lift and touch the lcd again to get it to register the touch? Thanks for any help.

http://youtu.be/IYhI0op9dVI

if you watch that video, you can kind of see what I am talking about..
infindebula

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my Zero 8 is lucky it's still in one piece. I pulled it a week ago out to test it the morning of my festival gig, and I was going also verify that it doesn't behave like dvelop's - but the touchscreen is failing again, and I was running late.

Then I played at my festival, and the whole mixer locked up on me twice during my set. The second time it locked up I packed it in. Ended my set early.

Haven't had it out since. I will never use it live again.

I will miss the Beat Loop effect (#2). Is there anything like that on other devices, Kaoss Pad perhaps?
loopson1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all involved, I recently came across a video on you tube, describing how to fix the screen issues on the zero 8. Unfortunately it was not a very well presented tutorial, the person had background music and effects on screen in his attempt to show how he fixed his zero 8. What I did was lower the volume and just watched the video, I made some adjustments as suggested and sure enough my screen had SOME movement for the first time in 3 years. I am sure now that at least for my zero 8, it is a connection problem. I had tried previously all the suggestions that this post had, including re-soldering the lug with the yellow and brown wires all to no avail. The problem is in the Ribbon Connection directly behind the screen (NOTE: I have yet to figure out how to disassemble that area) What I did, as the video suggested was move the connection where the ribbon was attached to, and like I said there was movement on my kaoss pad for the first time in years. I am now convinced that the problem lies in that connection.

It appears one person soldered the ribbon directly to the yellow and brown wires by-passing the faulty connection. Now if I can only figure out how to disassemble the the screen to access the faulty connection.
bondir

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Touchscreen repair in the UK Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I can replace your dead touchscreen to a new original one for £90 plus return postage (or bring the mixer yourself, I am based in London).
I have done mine (plus two more for some other troubled fellas) and installed extra fans to prevent the same thing happening. The extra cooling helps with the occasional firewire issues (clicks, pops, mixed up channels) too.

Most of the problems come down to Korg's design fault, namely the temperature rise inside the mixer. The power supply unit tend to heat up a lot, especially when the master output is cranked up high and/or +48V mics and/or turntables are connected. Or simply when there is a lot going on in general.

Korg cleverly cut holes into the metal case (near the psu at the bottom) so the cold air can be sucked in as the hot air leaves at the top. The only problem is that there is no sufficient way for the heat to dissipate on the top of the unit. The holes on the side are simply not good enough. I designed a clever cooling system and installed it in my Zero 8. What it does is basically gives a constant airflow within the housing and the touchscreen has a dedicated stream of cold air so it will never fail due to overheating. I use extra silent brushless fans. It works like a charm.

So yeah, anyone interested in getting theirs repaired let me know. You get a new touchpad under Korg UK warranty (1 year), cooling system installed and the whole unit cleaned and checked inside and outside.
dam75

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a video of me replacing the touchpad on youtube. You can check it to see how to replace it, it's pretty easy to be honnest :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2Efad6Yq7o
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: