Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos, True Main Controller?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vancutan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Kronos, True Main Controller? Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:24 pm Post subject: Kronos, true main controller? Reply with quote
This might be a question for current Oasys owners or for people that know the Kronos abilities. I'm very excited about the Set List Mode and Smooth Sound Transitions. Those two features alone are going to greatly improve flow during live performances. Feels like Christmas all over again. Haven't been this excited about a keyboard since my Virus TI.

My question...

When stepping through the Set List can Kronos really be the main controller of my entire keyboard setup via midi. It would be so great if, as I stepped through the Set List, all my other keyboards (M3, Virus, Hammond, others) were set to their respective patches, volumes and timing (midi clock). I'm thinking that this would would only be available in Combis and Sequences.

Can anyone shed some light on this?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set List, Program, and Combi modes all transmit program change MIDI messages, if the Kronos MIDI filter is set to let them through, so choosing setlist slot 0 will set the destination patch of whatever is connected to 0, and so on. The recipient device will need its external or incoming program change setting to be enabled for this to work.

Only devices that support smooth sound transitions i.e. the Kronos will continue to produce sound when a Setlist, Program or Combi item is changed.

One thing to bear in mind, if using Program or Combi changes to control external devices, is that the bank on the recipient device is also likely to change when the Kronos bank changes.

SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set list mode can be used to recall any program, combi or sequence, so anything you can do in one of those modes, you can trigger with set list mode. In addition, each slot in a set list can override certain settings in the base program/sequence, such as EQ and transposition.

In terms of achieving what you want to do with regards to external hardware, that should absolutely be possible using a combi which you can then select from the set list mode.

I don't use the set list mode as I don't gig, but I really ought to as it's a great way of quickly referencing frequently used programs, or storing comments along with a sequence.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
chini

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:36 pm    Post subject: Kronos as master keyboard live on stage Reply with quote

I use the Kronos X88 as my main playing keyboard on stage to control/play my Andromeda and rack synths/FX within my rig. However even though the K remains in Setlist mode I don't actually patch change from the Kronos itself. I use a Roland A-50 to patch change the Setlist patches on the Kronos which then send out all the other patch changes, key zoning, cc control etc to the rest of my rig. The main reason I use the A-50 as my patch changer is because it has the unique ability to release a pre-hit patch change once all keys and sustain pedal have been released which lends a much more natural way to move between one set of sounds to another. Yes! the Kronos sounds themselves have the added ability to blend into each other through SST but patch changing direct from the K would change the patches on my other sound sources immediately regardless of if I have still to release any keys or pedal sustained notes. Hence I have my sustain pedal split into two mono jacks cables one going into the K, the other into the A-50. In this way at the point of changing to a new patch if I am using the sustain pedal for example to hold a chord rather than my hands the sustain message controls any internal/external timbres I am controlling from the K and at the same time is holding that patch change I've just hit putting it "in the wings" ready to be released by that same sustain pedal message being transmitted to the A-50. Once I release the pedal the patch change from the A-50 changes the K Setlist patch and everything else in my rig dictated by the K Setlist patch. This combination offers the smoothest way to move generally between overall patches in any large keyboard rig.

Check out the Kronos Midi Filter/Key Zone/Velocity pages both in Combi and Sequence(song) modes for details on the extensive external control available on 16 different simultaneous midi channels. Also check out the External Controllers page in Global mode where you choose what cc messages all the various levers/switches send out. I never assign a Program to the Setlist page as it only transmits on the base channel. Hence Combi and Song patches are all I ever use. I do of course delve into Program mode to alter/write new sound timbres to be used in Combis and Songs.

A tip: recently I have been using a single Song patch to march through the various patch changes during the passage of some of my pieces. It gives you the advantage of running much longer drum patterns and automating patch changes within the sequence tracks themselves. You are limited to triggering the keys on one midi channel in Song mode but if you harness KARMA zoning you can actually transmit on 4 mid channels simultaneously even externally and internally simultaneously if you organise your rig accordingly! Fantastic flexibility! Of course once you get into KARMA on top of its musical creativity it opens up an extremely versatile way of organising the layout of your sounds across the keybed. It's a little confusing at first but well worth persevering with!

So in answer to your original question: Yes! the Kronos makes a fantastic master keyboard!… just for me I prefer to use another remote keyboard to patch change it! For me the patch change on key/sustain release function is the only missing trick under the hood! If The Kronos did have this kind of patch changing ability plus a few more pedal inputs programable on a patch by patch basis (pedal cc assignments only available on a global basis in the K) I would have purchased a K61 long ago plus given myself double polyphony to boot!

Always be true to yourself

Last edited by chini on Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:56 pm; edited 6 times in total
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To send volume changes to other synths along with program changes, you could use SYSEX messages. My Kurzweil MIDIboard can do this and also changes programs only if not currently playing on the keys, otherwise it will once all keys are released.
chini

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
To send volume changes to other synths along with program changes, you could use SYSEX messages. My Kurzweil MIDIboard can do this and also changes programs only if not currently playing on the keys, otherwise it will once all keys are released.

Are you saying all Kurzweil boards generally have the same "patch change on key release" ability…? In a lll my years I have never used Kurzweil ! Probably because their kit back in the day was always so expensive! I've used The Roland A-50/80 ever since they were first introduced.

KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chini,

I also had a Kurzweil PC2X in the past but I don't think it was able to do that (can't remember clearly). So I really don't think it's a standard feature on Kurzweils.

The MIDIboard is an exception as it's purely a controller (no sounds). I keep it as it has many rare features like poly aftertouch, etc.
chini

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Roland A-80 vs Kurzweil Mdiiboard Reply with quote

KK wrote:
Hi Chini,

I also had a Kurzweil PC2X in the past but I don't think it was able to do that (can't remember clearly). So I really don't think it's a standard feature on Kurzweils.

The MIDIboard is an exception as it's purely a controller (no sounds). I keep it as it has many rare features like poly aftertouch, etc.

Ah! yes! the MIDIBARD! that is one I did consider back in the day but passed as it doesn't have the Roland type bender leaver which I prefer to the wheel type. The Keuzweil does however have a superb playing action though and the poly aftertouch mechanism was always more playable than the A-80s: you needed cast iron hands to force the A-80s aftertouch to work especially in poly aftertouch mode! I ended up having to swap out some resisters on the main pcb in both my A-80 and A-50 keyboards to make the aftertouch a little easier to trigger! Although heavy the A-80 is the Midiboard I believe was even heavier and not one to be used on the road... lovely board though to have in the studio I imagine!

Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chini wrote:
KK wrote:

Are you saying all Kurzweil boards generally have the same "patch change on key release" ability…? In a lll my years I have never used Kurzweil ! Probably because their kit back in the day was always so expensive! I've used The Roland A-50/80 ever since they were first introduced.

Kurzweil as a masterkey is phenomenal... more advanced then anything else (if you can live with just sliders and dont need knobs) My old PC3x could do this... and much much more..

if you want a masterkey, and dont require realistic piano action, a used pc3x will bring you a very very very long way...
chini

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Kurzweil as external master keyboard controller Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
chini wrote:
KK wrote:

Kurzweil as a masterkey is phenomenal... more advanced then anything else (if you can live with just sliders and dont need knobs) My old PC3x could do this... and much much more..

if you want a masterkey, and dont require realistic piano action, a used pc3x will bring you a very very very long way...

Hi Bachus! Thanks for the tip!

Just checked out the manual on this one. Certainly it seems more versatile than the ROland A-50/80. I only need a soft key version though with maximum 73-76 keys. This is reminding me the last time I looked at Kurzweil as I could only find the MIDIBOARD as a version without the synth engine (which I wouldn't need) I couldn't find anything mentioning the way a patch change is released though if you say it does do this I may well investigate further… My A-50 does have 4 assignable controllers to each of its 4 zones but you can't add values to those cc assignments like you can on the Kurzweil. Hence my connected pedals (apart from the EV5 midi volume pedal) only switch from 0 directly to 127. Having the added functionality of value ranges in between would be really handy! I use one sustain type pedal for example to switch in Harmonies on my TC-Helicon VoiceLive2, sometimes I assign delay simultaneously depending on the patch. There are some things I am not able to accomplish through the A-50 so I work around the restrictions as best I can when it comes to cc messages.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: