Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Midi cutout with 2 keyboards
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Farmogoyf

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Midi cutout with 2 keyboards Reply with quote

I am trying to use the Kronos Midi'ed to a Yamaha P95 to set up a simple Midi, I switch to a combi or program on the Kronos, and the P95 drives it. I notice if I play fast or with heavy sustain, I get cut outs on the P95, but not if I play the same thing on the Kronos alone. See the video below to hear what I mean (I played a pile of mush on both the Kronos and the P95 - only P95 shown in video). You can skip to the 30 second mark of the video to hear the cuts.

P95:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTVFxpNEhrs&feature=youtu.be

The combi being used has around 5 programs playing at the same time, and does require the Kronos to use the voice stealing algorithm. However, after a bit of play I have noticed this same cutout phenomena on the Kronos midi'ed to a keyboard using just the basic Kronos Grand, which never has to use the voice stealing. Is there something I am doing wrong, or is this just the nature/limitation of midi?
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only guess here. According to specs I've looked up on the web, the P95 only has 64 notes of polyphony -- I have no idea if the P95 has any kind of dynamic voice allocation. Nevertheless, you are likely exceeding the P95's polyphony limit when you are holding down the sustain pedal. Try lifting the sustain pedal now and then.

I suppose it's also possible that the Kronos is sending too many MIDI messages (note ons, note offs, sustain, other CCs) for the P95 to cope with... maybe. Dunno.
Farmogoyf

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardSync wrote:
I can only guess here. According to specs I've looked up on the web, the P95 only has 64 notes of polyphony -- I have no idea if the P95 has any kind of dynamic voice allocation. Nevertheless, you are likely exceeding the P95's polyphony limit when you are holding down the sustain pedal. Try lifting the sustain pedal now and then.

I suppose it's also possible that the Kronos is sending too many MIDI messages (note ons, note offs, sustain, other CCs) for the P95 to cope with... maybe. Dunno.

I don't have any if the P95's notes playing there, entirely sounds from the Kronos, so I don't believe polyphony (I could be wrong though). It could be too many messages, if that is the case, is that a MIDI limitation or is there another MIDI board that will be able to handle the number of messages being sent?
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is you MIDI connection The P95 O/P to the Kronos I/P ONLY- or are you running a Kronos O/P back in to the P95 MIDI I/P. That might cause a loop. Not sure. If you have that configuration try disconnecting the Kronos O/P from the P95 I/P.
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farmogoyf wrote:
I don't have any if the P95's notes playing there, entirely sounds from the Kronos, so I don't believe polyphony (I could be wrong though). It could be too many messages, if that is the case, is that a MIDI limitation or is there another MIDI board that will be able to handle the number of messages being sent?

Sorry. Disregard what I said before, please. I totally misread your post (it was 2:30 a.m so I suppose my reading comprehension skills were already asleep). I thought the situation was reversed.

As Ronnfigg said, it could be a MIDI loop if you're using two cables between the two keyboards. If you are only using one cable, then I've got no idea.

I've just been through your other posts on this forum and I see you've always had odd note cutoff issues with MIDI'ing your P95 to the Kronos (http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=533494). And here in this topic, too (http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=540551 -- did you try changing the velocity curve response as I suggested in that topic? If you did, then I wonder if that's contributing to the problem you're having.)

Since the Kronos plays fine on its own, my hunch is that the problem lies with the P95. Do you have any other keyboards to hook up to the Kronos to see if the problem occurs with those as well?
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had problems in the past with cutouts when using other manufacturer's controllers with Korg gear.

In those cases, the problem was down to the Active Sensing messages. They send a steady stream of traffic down the MIDI port so the synth knows when they have been disconnected and then that triggers an all-notes-off or panic event to prevent hanging notes.

With controllers that do not send these messages, notes often get cut off periodically on the receiving Korg synth. I'm not sure why.

Not sure if this could be your problem. I was unable to watch the video right now.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Farmogoyf

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardSync wrote:
Farmogoyf wrote:

Sorry. Disregard what I said before, please. I totally misread your post (it was 2:30 a.m so I suppose my reading comprehension skills were already asleep). I thought the situation was reversed.

As Ronnfigg said, it could be a MIDI loop if you're using two cables between the two keyboards. If you are only using one cable, then I've got no idea.

I've just been through your other posts on this forum and I see you've always had odd note cutoff issues with MIDI'ing your P95 to the Kronos (http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=533494). And here in this topic, too (http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=540551 -- did you try changing the velocity curve response as I suggested in that topic? If you did, then I wonder if that's contributing to the problem you're having.)

Since the Kronos plays fine on its own, my hunch is that the problem lies with the P95. Do you have any other keyboards to hook up to the Kronos to see if the problem occurs with those as well?

There is only one Midi cable, P95 out to Kronos in.

Velocity curve was adjusted and the 2 boards seem to be playing well together in that regard, this issue is a bit different than that one. In that issue it sounded like I was playing mush, and couldn't hear almost any of the piano clearly, and adjusting the curve addressed that problem nicely. In my current issue, after a bit of playing and being able to hear the notes clearly, suddenly several of the voices just drop all together. Not like a polyphony issue, its more like the thing gets overloaded and can't play anymore until I let go of the sustain pedal for a few seconds.

I have actually Midi'ed the Kronos to the Yamaha MOX 8, it did the same thing with the note cutoffs. I will look into controllers with this Active Sensing message, X-Trade, is that a Midi feature that is commonly listed in the controllers specifications?

Thanks so much all for your help, I really appreciate it!
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also make sure to verify if the controller is sending on more than one MIDI channel at a time. They can send multiple channels of duplicate MIDI in certain conditions. That could easily cause polyphony problems.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
Farmogoyf

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
I've had problems in the past with cutouts when using other manufacturer's controllers with Korg gear.

In those cases, the problem was down to the Active Sensing messages. They send a steady stream of traffic down the MIDI port so the synth knows when they have been disconnected and then that triggers an all-notes-off or panic event to prevent hanging notes.

With controllers that do not send these messages, notes often get cut off periodically on the receiving Korg synth. I'm not sure why.

Not sure if this could be your problem. I was unable to watch the video right now.

I checked on this, and Yamaha P95 does issue the Active Sensing messages, so probably not the issue in this case.

Quote:
I would also make sure to verify if the controller is sending on more than one MIDI channel at a time. They can send multiple channels of duplicate MIDI in certain conditions. That could easily cause polyphony problems.

Hmmm, you may be on to something here. When I first turn on the Kronos and the P95, the P95 Plays whatever combi / program I have the Kronos set to, regardless of the MIDI channels I have the combi set to on the Kronos, I just turn on and it plays the combi exactly as if I was playing it on the Kronos. Maybe I will play around with making sure all the MIDI channels are set to the global channel and set the P95 to that global channel to try and prevent this, being that the default setting on the P95 is probably send/receive "ALL" (since it can control everything right away when I turn the Kronos on regardless of the combi MIDI channel settings), your thoughts on possible duplicate may be the issue. Thanks for the suggestion!
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what exactly is happening there but if I was to guess I would say that since you are using the P95 as you controller keyboard and your Kronos as your slave, you might just be overloading a memory buffer in your Kronos. If there is such a thing. When you pause for a second or 2 does the problem go away for about the same amount of time?
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Farmogoyf

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremykeys wrote:
I'm not sure what exactly is happening there but if I was to guess I would say that since you are using the P95 as you controller keyboard and your Kronos as your slave, you might just be overloading a memory buffer in your Kronos. If there is such a thing. When you pause for a second or 2 does the problem go away for about the same amount of time?

If I let go of the sustain for a few seconds the issue stops for a bit and then will start again after a time (I don't think there is a direct correlation with how long I let go of the sustain and how much time it takes for the problem to start again).
Farmogoyf

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Just an update, I have played around with the MIDI settings, making sure it was only transmitting one channel, and the issue still persists. I don't know if it is a problem inherent with Yamaha controllers (since the same thing happened when I hooked the Kronos up to the Yamaha Mox Cool, or what, but man oh man do I wish I could just find a way to stop it and enjoy my 2 keyboard setup! Any other suggestions?
MarPabl
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so it's time to check more seriously if Kronos is getting overloaded or if the MIDI messages are arriving incorrectly. For each test, you'll do the following:
1. Kronos is getting overloaded. For checking this, you go to the Perf tab where you can see the CPU usage for voices (as well as voice stealing) and also the CPU for effects usage. Check if you're getting heavy CPU usage (sustained 100%) for voices or effects. Compare usage levels when playing directly on Kronos and when playing with the controller.
2. MIDI messages are arriving incorrectly. Go to Seq mode and record your playing directly on the Kronos, then you record the same performance from the controller and you compare the results.

After you finish the tests and get results, report back and we'll try to guess the next step Idea
Laste7

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also problems with Cut-Offs when connecting my Korg SP-250 to the Kronos. But only, when I connect it directly, as soon as I use Midi out of the SP250 to a DAW or VST-Host and from there to the Kronos, I don't have these problems anymore...
Farmogoyf

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have also problems with Cut-Offs when connecting my Korg SP-250 to the Kronos. But only, when I connect it directly, as soon as I use Midi out of the SP250 to a DAW or VST-Host and from there to the Kronos, I don't have these problems anymore...

Alas, I don't have any sort of DAW or VST host, so this won't work for me.

MarPabl wrote:
Ok so it's time to check more seriously if Kronos is getting overloaded or if the MIDI messages are arriving incorrectly. For each test, you'll do the following:
1. Kronos is getting overloaded. For checking this, you go to the Perf tab where you can see the CPU usage for voices (as well as voice stealing) and also the CPU for effects usage. Check if you're getting heavy CPU usage (sustained 100%) for voices or effects. Compare usage levels when playing directly on Kronos and when playing with the controller.
2. MIDI messages are arriving incorrectly. Go to Seq mode and record your playing directly on the Kronos, then you record the same performance from the controller and you compare the results.

After you finish the tests and get results, report back and we'll try to guess the next step Idea

Ran these scenarios, and found that while playing either the Kronos or the P95, watching the CPU usage is very similar, on combi's with a number of voices it often will be very close to 100% or at 100% with quite a bit of voice stealing. I don't see a notable difference though.

In the sequencer is a little more interesting. When the sound starts cutting as it did in my original youtube video, out of the speakers it cuts almost the whole sound (as you can hear), however, from the sequencer, you can hear a bit more of the sound, say I'm using a combi with 2 pianos, strings, ooh voices, etc... When I play so the cuts start, from the speakers you will only hear a note every now and then from the piano and maybe a little strings, but when the sequencer is played back, you hear much more of the piano, more strings and some of the ooh voices. So, while it is still cut a bit in the sequencer, it's no where near what you hear cut from the speaker.

Any ideas what this means?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: