Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Krome 61 + Digital Piano 88 keys (Can this set up work)?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolmk33

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Krome 61 + Digital Piano 88 keys (Can this set up work)? Reply with quote

Hi, this is my first involvement in this forum. Hope that someone could kindly help me out with some questions.

I'm planning on getting the krome 61, but before that I would like to know for sure whether what I had in mind does work out in theory and practice. Essentially, I would like to connect the krome 61 to a Casio Celviano AP650 digital piano through the onboard MIDI in/out terminals. Basically, I would like the Casio to act as an 88 keys controller to the Krome. These are the few questions I have regarding this set up:

1) Will there be any compatibility issue?
2) Can I have full access to the Krome's sounds and functions- i.e choosing whichever program/combi/sequence mode I fancy, mapping those combi with whatever key splitting and overlaying capabilities that the Krome permits, utilizing the drumtracks and arppegiator triggers, adding the insert effects, tweaking the assigned knobs and other real-time contols, all while playing on the Casio's keybed.
3) While doing the above, which keybed's splitting/layering capability will I be utilizing, the Krome's or the Casio's? I hope it will be the Krome's, cause it's much more flexible.
4) Finally, I would like the sound to be channeled back into the Casio to be played back through its built in speakers. Can this be achieved by just connecting both instrument through the Line in/out terminals?

Could anyone enlighten me on whether this set-up works? If not, why and if there's any other way to achieve this. Thank you in advance.
ruiky1964

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will work IMO. There can be some limitations depending on the MIDI implementation of CASIO. Of course all controls, excepting the keybed itself will be handled on the Krome board. The line outs of the Krome can be connected to the CASIO providing there are Line ins available.
As far as I can see, all programs in the Krome are covering the 88 keys range even when your model is just a 61. So when playing via MIDI from whatever 88 controller, most of programs will sound on the whole range. Those that not, can be edited to do so.
I must confess that I have not tried out such a scenario with my KROME because I do not have a 88 controller. I also expect CASIO digital pianos to have a very limited MIDI implementation, but all this is just a guess based on my experiences from the past.
Thus, wait for more opinions before making the step. Perhaps you can also consider selling the Piano, buying the Krome 88, a stand and two PA monitors. You can have such a setup for about 1,8k$ and the Krome 61 will cost you 1k$. So, if you sell well your Piano, you will only need to add some extra cash. This is another possibility.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: