Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg MS-20 compared to Arturia Minibrute
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Korg MS-20 compared to Arturia Minibrute Reply with quote

I like both but can only fit one into available space.

The Brute has CV In and Out, Midi In and Out and an Arpeggiator. The MS-20 has limited Midi Out.

Also Audio In (as does the MS-20).

The MS-20 has two filters? The Brute has one?

Any other pros and Cons?

Added the following - thanks.

MS20 - 37 mini keys, no velocity or aftertouch

The Minibrute has PWM

Last edited by Ksynth on Sat May 11, 2013 9:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keyboard ...

vs

Minibrute - 25 full size keys with velocity and aftertouch
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bald Eagle wrote:
Keyboard ...

vs

Minibrute - 25 full size keys with velocity and aftertouch

I'd overlooked those points Thanks.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MS20 is semi modular. As such it allows for much more expressive and experimental modulation.

Also, this is not 'Latest News', so I'm moving it to the MS20 Section.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
MarPabl
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MS20 mini has two oscillators and two filters. Minibrute just has one... And MS20 mini is semi-modular. Clearly, you get more synth power with MS20 mini Idea
magikroom

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: MS20 Reply with quote

I tried the Minibrute, but have the MS20 on order. Having that classic sound is more important to me, plus...it's an MS20...you've got to have one! Smile
Korg Kronos 73, KingKorg, Arp Odyssey, X5DR, Roland System 1m, Juno 6, JX-3P, JX-10, MKS-50, D10, Moog Sub Phatty, Novation Bass Station 2, DSI Prophet 08, Tetra, Analogue Solutions Telemark V2 and Leipzig-S, Nord Lead A1, Dreadbox Erebus, Waldorf Pulse, NI Maschine, Komplete 9 Ultimate, Arturia SparkLe, Beatstep, Spectrasonics Omnisphere U-HE Diva (Best Soft Synth ever) + other Softsynths
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
MS20 is semi modular. As such it allows for much more expressive and experimental modulation.

I think the CV IN /Out on the Minibrute offers some modularity as well. Aa the more complex midi I/O.

I'd love to have both of these.
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, the two synths are very different creatures. Sure, they're both analogue & have some standard synthesis routing but that's where the similarity stops.
The minibrute is a great size if you need to save space & it is capable of some diverse sounds. You can get cool retro highs like flute or piccolo & they sound great with it's glide. It shines in the 'Gnarly ,mean, aggressive department where you can get really dirty with it.Especially with that brute factor feedback.
The filter often warbles !..Bizarre.
Despite having that wave mixer section at the oscillator there is still only one (Oscillator) & by mixing the waves together you can't get more than one.
It serves more to blend waves & produce odd mixed timbres, some really nice & some horrid. In the end it is a character on its own & that is the single most important element with a mono synth if you plan to have more than one.
Bravo to arturia & i plan to keep my Minibrute.

The MS 20 Mini differs right from the top. Just the two oscillators make a big difference. Add to that the legendary unique sound they can produce & again it has a character all of its own. It's quite distinct.
Those TWO filters are way cool. High pass first & then low pass means you can create & kind of third 'notch'.
Very distinct e.g's where they can be made so you can hear the steps of their shape.Then add the entire patching options & external plug in possibilities. Cripes, there's years of discovering to be had.
It seems to me to be the more diverse unit of the two & its long lived legacy is proof of its diversity.

I wouldn't put one up against the other but instead just get one or both !
A win win situation. Rolling Eyes
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm mad at the OP for starting this thread. This has made me look more closely at the Minibrute and I think now I will have to get both the MS20 and the Minibrute. Hell, I might as well get a Sub Phatty and Bass Station II too while I'm at it. Very Happy As DrHoo said, they really are two different creatures with different capabilities.

I keep thinking to myself that Korg should have added this feature or that feature to the MS20 Mini but in the end if they had made any changes it just wouldn't be an MS20 anymore. And even though it might be better it would somehow loose some of its appeal.

But Korg and those mini keys just bug me. I wish it at least had full size keys. I'm estimating that the width of the MS20 white keys are 0.79 inches compared to Korg full size keys at 0.92 inches. I haven't played one yet so I don't know how much of a difference it will really make. Anyone have any thoughts on key size?
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Minibrute has PWM as well. The Korg MS-20 does not.

It is difficult to pick which if you just get one of them.
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bald Eagle wrote:
Anyone have any thoughts on key size?

I have seen a demo or two when it's been said regarding the keys....They are not mini keys & after a while you won't even think about them that way.
Marc Doty said that at the beginning of his demo series. (Great series Marc)

At this stage i havn't touched the ms 20 mini yet so i can't say for real but it doesn't bother me, i still want one. I can see me using the keyboard fine rather than plugging in an extra midi keyboard.

I'd say ,just like any other purchace, it's got to be the thing you desire to make it the right buy.

When i bought my minibrute i was really in two minds over it Vs a doepfer dark energy. I wanted the dark energy big time & then i tossed the ideas around until i made sense of it all & decided on the arturia.
No regrets there, minibrute is a winner. (I still want the doepfer D A though. ha ha)
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ksynth wrote:
X-Trade wrote:

I think the CV IN /Out on the Minibrute offers some modularity as well. Aa the more complex midi I/O.

I'd love to have both of these.

The CV I/O may give you some control capabilities, but it won't let you do nearly the same stuff you can do on the MS20, for example taking the Envelope and passing it through Sample&Hold to create a stepped envelope.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
mm-pro

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If space is an issue, the MiniBrute will fit on a 19" sliding rack shelf and tuck away when not in use.
Ahnyxrik

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite store just got the MS-20 mini in, I love it! They both have a ton of bass power, but for some reason I like the MS-20 mini better. Seems I like the old school look.. maybe it's just me! Smile
Jackofallfunk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I posted in my MS-20 keyboard question thread, I bought a minibrute last week out of impatience and the keyweights were all over the box and inside the synth.

If their Chinese manufacturing solution can't even get keyweight glue right what else is gonna fall apart? Arturia is also aware of the problem and has put up a guide on how to re-glue them, no thanks.

I know everything is made in China but at least the MS-20 is a known product re-made and not version one of a new synth from a company that hasn't made analog for a while from my knowledge, or at least in China.

Minibrute is cool, but now that I have the patchbay or the MS-20 mini in front of me it ain't EVER going back.

-Korg Ms-20 Mini -Korg Electribe-ESX1SD -Korg KM-2 Kaoss Mixer -Roland MC-808 (For Sale)
-Mackie D.4 Pro -Evolution UC-33 -Keith MacMillan QuNeo -Akai LPD8 -M-Audio Firewire Audiophile -Beringer Truth B2030A -Numark V7
-Allen & Heath Xone 62 -Fender Fretless Jazz Bass
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG MS20 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: