Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Confused musician

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeys88

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Confused musician Reply with quote

I play mostly piano, but I also play in cover rock bands where switching between instruments needs to be quick and easy. I only need a piano, a few Rhodes and Wurly pianos, several rock organs, and a few brass settings.

I've thought of setting up a new category for my sounds, with sun-categories for each instrument group.

Does anyone have a better idea for getting this done.

I sold my Kurzweil PC3 (needed a lighter keyboard) and that had quick menus that were easy to handle in a live gig. But now, I'm a little baffled.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a learning curve involve with changing from one 'board to another.

The good news is that you can save a .pcg file that has any changes you want to make and which lets you organize your sounds pretty much exactly as you want them.

I would recommend a couple of things.

Really think hard about how you want to Organize your sounds, i.e., by category to a particular set of numbers (00-09: pianos, 10-19: Clavs & EP, etc.), by song name (alphabetical), by set-list or show order (handy for musical theater and/or tribute shows with standardized/unvaried set lists).

Next, stay in COMBI mode. You can duplicate any single program including its IFX/MFX as needed, but if you move around programs you may adversely effect sounds at the combi level (a very not good thing).

Finally, embrace the fact that you can overwrite almost anything on a Korg. There's nothing that says your factory voices are carved in stone (as they are on so many other synths) so experiment in how you want to move things around.

- JUST SAVE TODAY'S SETTINGS BEFORE YOU CHANGE ANYTHING -

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
morty

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Confused musician Reply with quote

mikeys88 wrote:
I play mostly piano, but I also play in cover rock bands where switching between instruments needs to be quick and easy. I only need a piano, a few Rhodes and Wurly pianos, several rock organs, and a few brass settings.

I've thought of setting up a new category for my sounds, with sun-categories for each instrument group.

Does anyone have a better idea for getting this done.

I sold my Kurzweil PC3 (needed a lighter keyboard) and that had quick menus that were easy to handle in a live gig. But now, I'm a little baffled.

I suggest go for the Krome 88 key I have the Kurzweil PC-3 and big difference in weight plus you have 88 NH weighted keys so you cover the whole range especially if your a pianist (and its light I take it everywhere.)
I would not suggest the 73 key Krome in comparison to the Kurzweil.the Kurzweil is a muchbetter keybed by a long shot.I prefer playing the Krome live better than the Kurz especially in the PIanos/Eps etc just my opinion for what it's worth:)

MY GEAR: KORG KROME 88/KURZWEIL PC-3/ROLAND INTEGRA 7/ROLAND VK-8M B3 Clone/
ROLAND A-PRO 800/YAMAHA MOTIF XS RACK
mikeys88

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Krome 88 suggestion Reply with quote

I should have mentioned that I already purchased the Krome 73. I agree that the keybed isn't ideal, but I can live with that. I still have a Kurz PC2 88 key for important gigs where I need the piano touch and feel. But, at 70 yrs old, the light weight of the 73 sealed the deal.
morty

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Krome 88 suggestion Reply with quote

mikeys88 wrote:
I should have mentioned that I already purchased the Krome 73. I agree that the keybed isn't ideal, but I can live with that. I still have a Kurz PC2 88 key for important gigs where I need the piano touch and feel. But, at 70 yrs old, the light weight of the 73 sealed the deal.

Well Mikey, the main thing is you gotta Krome thats awesome!I use to have the PC161 loved it, miss some of those sounds on my PC3.Im only 56 and the PC3 was heavy thats why I take the Krome 88 everywhere... a lot lighter and easier on the back.I ended up getting a gator bag with wheels whenever i carried the Kurzweil:)

MY GEAR: KORG KROME 88/KURZWEIL PC-3/ROLAND INTEGRA 7/ROLAND VK-8M B3 Clone/
ROLAND A-PRO 800/YAMAHA MOTIF XS RACK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: