Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LFO Fade in???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lando2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: LFO Fade in??? Reply with quote

Hi,

I recently bought a kingkorg and really enjoy playing and programming it.

I wanted to program a patch with a vibrato that is fading in and had to realize that the LFOs dont have a delayparameter. Then I tried to modulate the LFO Intensity by an envelope using a virtual patch, but LFO Intensity is no patch destination!!

I only found the way to modulate the intensity by the joystick.

Is there no way to do it? Any idea for a workaround?

Thanks Lando
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lando,

havn't found a way either so far. CC#089 (LFO1ModInt) is available for control modulation intensity, but I see no way to get it as destination.

So fading in a vibrato with growing intensity after a short delay seems not to be an available option?

Last edited by jimknopf on Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Lando2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, isnt it a elementary function? I cant understand, why korg forget? this.

One workaround could be to use two identical timbres one with LFO and one without LFO and then fade one out and one in. I didnt try it, cause its a bit complicated.

Lando
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed an elementary function.

It would be useful if someone from Korg knowing the KK structure well could answer here. I guess Dan and Rich are not familiar with the KK, because it was not developed in the US as far as I know.
Lando2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it dont make sense to write to the normal support.

Does somebody know to whom i can adress such a request?

Thanks Lando
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I'd call it an "elementary function" at least in the respect that it was not common on the old analog synths Korg is basically trying to emulate here, either. Usually you'd introduce modulation as desired with a mod wheel, or you might have been able to hook up a foot pedal, or in some cases, aftertouch. But there is an irony here in that the very first Mini-Korg actually had a "delay vibrato" switch.

I agree, though, that this would be very useful, esp. in a board w/o aftertouch. If there is indeed no way to program it in, I wonder whether it's a feature that could possibly be added in a software update.

You could use a foot pedal, but the KK only has one foot controller jack (other than damper), and unfortunately, as far as I can tell from the manual, it looks like its assignment is global (i.e. you can't have it function as some kind of modulation on one patch, volume on another). It would be nice if, in addition to a global default, you could override that and specify the function of the pedal on a patch-by-patch basis. That would also be something nice to see in a software update.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many old synths had an LFO delay. It seems a rather large on a modern VA synth where adding such a function would hardly require any processing power at all.
Chriskk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
I'm not sure I'd call it an "elementary function" at least in the respect that it was not common on the old analog synths Korg is basically trying to emulate here, either.

I don't think Korg tries to emulate such a shortcoming. It's an oversight.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriskk wrote:
Scott wrote:
I'm not sure I'd call it an "elementary function" at least in the respect that it was not common on the old analog synths Korg is basically trying to emulate here, either.

I don't think Korg tries to emulate such a shortcoming. It's an oversight.

I agree it would be good to have. I was just saying I didn't consider it to be an "elementary function". To me, the elementary functions of a VA would be, say, the things that an old Minimoog, Oberheim SEM, or Arp Odyssey had, and I don't think they had LFO delays. So it's actually a more advanced function than the original synths had, that's all I was saying.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The microKorg is incapable of this.
As is the R3.

Radias was incapable of it until the 2.0 update where virtual patch intensity was added as a modulation destination.

So you're not alone there.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
Radias was incapable of it until the 2.0 update where virtual patch intensity was added as a modulation destination.

It's encouraging that it was able to be added to the Radias with a software update. Provides hope that it can be added to KK.

OTOH, it's discouraging that, having realized it was something worth adding to the Radias, they did not already include it in the somewhat Radias-derived KK. Maybe the architecture doesn't permit it...?
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
X-Trade wrote:

It's encouraging that it was able to be added to the Radias with a software update. Provides hope that it can be added to KK.

OTOH, it's discouraging that, having realized it was something worth adding to the Radias, they did not already include it in the somewhat Radias-derived KK. Maybe the architecture doesn't permit it...?

Well the update didn't specifically add 'LFO Delay'.
But it suddenly became possible (kindof) because you could modulate the intensity of one Virtual Patch with another. So you could have LFO > Pitch with intensity 0, but modulated by another VP setting EG3 > VP1 Int.

Although it may have already been possible with the modulation step sequencer, in another roundabout fashion.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowadays most new synth boards have some headroom for OS-Updates. So hoping for at least some minor future KK OS enhancements probably does make sense.
Making delayed modulation an option on the KK with it's missing aftertouch should really be part of an update.

For the time being this lightweght board is already pure fun to me, while I use it during summer vacation right now, programming some sounds and working on a few songs with nothing but the KK and a little Notebook with me. The sonic flexibility of the KK surprises me again and again: despite its basic character it is able to change VA colours like a chameleon.
Lando2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:

Well the update didn't specifically add 'LFO Delay'.
But it suddenly became possible (kindof) because you could modulate the intensity of one Virtual Patch with another. So you could have LFO > Pitch with intensity 0, but modulated by another VP setting EG3 > VP1 Int.

Although it may have already been possible with the modulation step sequencer, in another roundabout fashion.

Cool!!!! That also works on the Kingkorg, Virtual patch intensity is also a patch destination.

i must be stupid Smile I thought about a solution like this, but my thoughts were to complicate. The solution is so easy and logical.

But i'm happy to have now a workaround. So thank you very much!!
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't aware this works on the KK as well.
Just tried it: confirmed.

And only now I begin to understand what can be done that way:
thanks a lot from me too, xtrade!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KingKORG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: