Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB Audio out query

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Banquet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: USB Audio out query Reply with quote

Hi all,

After a long time away from recording music, I've just recently purchased Cubase 7 and a Korg Kronos, which I am more than happy with!

There is so much to learn, but mostly I am able to figure things out in the end, however one issue has got me stuck and I wondered if anyone could offer any help?

I have connected the Kronos to a Macbook air running Cubase 7 and the midi connections work fine. I would also like to record audio into cubase from the USB connection (which is also providing the midi link) I have got Cubase to detect the Kronos audio via USB and it records, but it records EVERYTHING, when I only want it to record a particular track.

Simple example - I record a simple song with midi tracks for piano, strings, drums and bass... then I want to sing over these tracking and record my vocal though the audio usb out. When I do this cubase records everything - the midi of the piano, strings, bass and drums and my vocal - all as audio, which I can't then use with the midi tracks.

Is there any way I can isolate this so that only my vocal is send via audio usb out?

Thanks, if anyone can help, it would be most appreciated Smile
Synthee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome!
Kronos USB only got 2 channel in and out via USB, so everything that sounds in Kronos is going out on USB Audio in stereo.
What you have to do is first record the sounds you want from Kronos in to Cubase on one or several audio tracks, and then record your singing on another audio track in Cubase.
The advantage with this is that you can then mix the tracks so the levels are good.
Banquet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Synthee

Thanks for replying.

That's a shame. It seems it would be ok for mastering but not much use for editing as everytime any track editing was done the whole track would need to be re-recorded. I'm also not sure how I would sync all the midi tracks if I recorded them separately to audio, but there is probably a way.
Banquet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I've just tried recording the music on 1 track and then the vocals on another track - and the track with vocals still includes the music along with the vocals - that was singing the vocals to the music recorded to audio in cubase, rather than midi playback. I can only think the backing track audio is going out the USB and then coming back in the USB on the vocal audio track? Anyone know how to stop this?
Banquet

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update this in case any one has the same problem... it turns out the audio out was being assigned to USB and then being directed back into Cubase - and recording all tracks again on the vocal track. I got around this by assigned audio out to 1/2 and cabling up the Kronos 1/2 out to 2 channels on the mixing desk. So I now 2 channels on mixing desk for audio out of Kronos - and another 2 for recorded audio out of Cubase as before they were sharing same channels.

No doubt obvious to anyone who knows what they are doing, but to clueless types like me, was glad to fix it.

Still a shame you can't control what tracks come down the USB for audio as you can with midi, but it's still useful to be able to send any audio down there. Smile
Synthee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banquet wrote:
Just to update this in case any one has the same problem... it turns out the audio out was being assigned to USB and then being directed back into Cubase - and recording all tracks again on the vocal track. I got around this by assigned audio out to 1/2 and cabling up the Kronos 1/2 out to 2 channels on the mixing desk. So I now 2 channels on mixing desk for audio out of Kronos - and another 2 for recorded audio out of Cubase as before they were sharing same channels.

No doubt obvious to anyone who knows what they are doing, but to clueless types like me, was glad to fix it.

Still a shame you can't control what tracks come down the USB for audio as you can with midi, but it's still useful to be able to send any audio down there. Smile

That is a solution that works, but with the downside that you are going from digital sound to analogue and back to digital again.
Many processes there that could make the sound worse.
That is the benefit with USB Audio, or SPDIF out, that its digital all the way, from the synth into the computer.
When you recording your vocaltrack you must listen to the songs sound that you recorded in Cubase, and turn of the sounds in Kronos, by muting the MIDI channels in Cubase.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: