Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Portamento options?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Portamento options? Reply with quote

I haven't played a KK yet, but from the manual, it looks like portamento can only be applied to legato playing, is that correct? There is no option to have it on for all playing (i.e. as it would be on a minimoog, or AFAIK, all the other old analog synths)? A lot of classic synth lines included portamento on non-legato playing, is there really no way to do this on the KK?

Edit: It looks like the portamento is not limited to legato playing, based on the video at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQQBzpZkGCM
You can hear that sometimes there is a glide to the very first note he plays. This doesn't square with how the manual reads, and it would be nice to be able to have this as an editable patch parameter, but at least it looks like the more "faithful" classic portamento is there.
Lando2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The portamento is not limited to legatoplaying,
but unfortunately its not editable.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean with "not editable"?
You can save portamento time per patch.
Lando2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant legato/nonlegato mode is not editable.

Portamento on off and time is as you said editable and can be written into the patch.

Greetings
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we are speakking of the same thing, 'Legato' mode is available as well:
- Mono-1 mode (Timbre Parameter S01) doesn't trigger the filter EG when playing the second note while holding the first. In combination with portamento you get the well known classical synth effect.
Lando2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Jim, you misunderstood me.

I just referred to the topic of portamento. If portamento is on, you hear it in each mono and poly mode. It not depends if you play legato or not.

I hope this time its clearer what I mean (it would be easier in german:-))

By the way, are you defrigge from musiker-board? The same picture!

Greetings
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope I got your point: you want portamento only triggered by legato playing, do you?
Lando2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my point, it was the threadopeners question:-)

I don't use portamento very much so this function has a lower priority on my KK-Wishlist.
KeyTex

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Portamento Reply with quote

My question on portamento is how can I get it to behave like a MiniMoog? On the KK the glide appears to be a constant time regardless of the interval. Whether I play a half step or the full five octave range, the glide time is the same. On a MiniMoog, smaller intervals have shorter glide times than larger intervals. Is there a way to adjust this?
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I see no way.

Though I must admit that I find the KK setting more practical for most purposes here, I would still like to have the Moog portamento as option for certain sounds.

Korg porgrammers, do you hear us? Wink
KeyTex

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I'm using this board to play old classic rock, it's much less practical for me. For example, I don't have to ride the portamento knob to play the Lucky Man solo on my Voyager like I do on this board, but I got the KK so I could leave the Moog at home. I still like the majority of what the KK does, though. Hopefully, some of these issues are being seen by Korg folks who will implement these requests in the next OS release if possible.
xp50player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No rate-based portamento? On an analog modeling synth?! Oops. That's one of the things I did not like about my Z1, though I still miss it sometimes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KingKORG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: