Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

where to get/buy D50 sounds for the Kronos ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Synthee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
There's an option in Global mode to unload an EXs.

If you do that, you will free up RAM. Next time you reboot the KRONOS, the data you unloaded will be reloaded. So there's no risk of loosing anything.

Question for you.
Have you got a basic KRONOS that has not been upgraded or something? The amount of free RAM you have is extremely low for what little amount of data your actually running.

Regards
Sharp.

Its a basic Kronos 88, not X, and not upgraded. I did a "full install" a week ago to clean away stuff that the former owner may had done. First 1.5 then 2.0.6.

Do you have any idea what else can be the problem with lilttle free ram?
I tried a lot of AKAI discs in Kronos before I did a Full install, can those samples be left somewhere in the Kronos maybe?

Well now when I removed the Japanese grand I could finally get your D-50 sounds installed, thank you for that, I really like this types of sounds.Very Happy

It looks like this now after installing the D-50 sounds. Does it look right?

Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you have any idea what else can be the problem with lilttle free ram?

Now I know you have a stock machine, your KRONOS only has a single 2GB SIMM installed and between the OS itself and the factory data, what your left with out of 2GB for your own personal use is very low.

The KRONOS can be upgraded to a maximum of 3GB or RAM. I would highly recommended you consider installing that extra 1GB. For 20 bucks, that 1GB will allow you load all the factory data, the D50 and many other libraries all at the same time.

Quote:
Well now when I removed the Japanese grand I could finally get your D-50 sounds installed, thank you for that, I really like this types of sounds

Phew... glad to hear it. Enjoy

Regards
Sharp.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yes that's normal for a 2GB KRONOS.
If you install that extra 1GB SIMM for $20, you can load way more into your KRONOS.

The 1 GB makes a massive difference when streaming. 1GB streaming could be upwards of 10GB of samples streaming

Regards
Sharp.
Synthee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Quote:

Yes that's normal for a 2GB KRONOS.
If you install that extra 1GB SIMM for $20, you can load way more into your KRONOS.

The 1 GB makes a massive difference when streaming. 1GB streaming could be upwards of 10GB of samples streaming

Regards
Sharp.

I will do that. Thanks a lot for your help.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was checking my ram and now I have a question.
there is the preload.ksc, checked
there are Preload_EXs(#).KSC not checked but I usually have them checked.
and the expansions that are not loaded as default. I have those checked as well, all of them,, Rom expansion brass woodwinds, concert grand, etc..

My question is based on something I may be misunderstanding.
If I check preload.KSC I thought it included all the preload_EXs stuff. but there is a difference of almost 300mb when I uncheck them as opposed to checked. So if I want every possible sound program combo wave etc from the Kronos it seems I must have all the above checked is this correct? the difference is preload_EXs all unchecked I have 799mb free but with all the above checked I only have 522mb free.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I check preload.KSC I thought it included all the preload_EXs stuff.

No, Preload.KSC contains most of the data your refering to but not all of it.

Much of EXs3 for example is missing from Preload.ksc

Quote:
but there is a difference of almost 300mb when I uncheck them as opposed to checked.

It's actually a lot more, but in terms of streaming it's 300MB of RAM usage. So if terms of actual MB PCM data, it's a lot more your missing.

Quote:
So if I want every possible sound program combo wave etc from the Kronos it seems I must have all the above checked is this correct?

Correct, however it's not so simple.
Loading the EXs KSC file does not load the PCG data that goes with that library. In order to load everything, you would have to load the Preload KSC, and PCG, then start filling up the other banks with the PCG for EXs3 and whatever else is missing.

EXs3 also has additional PCG files for more combi sounds many people probably don't even know.

I started a thread about all this a long time ago as most people have no clue that they are missing out on a lot of sounds.

Regards
Sharp
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have to find that thread. Thanks Sharp!
MoonMusic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally tried these out....Thanks sharp!....I won't actually use any of them but it was cool to hear what a D50 sounded like....It's one of the few I've never owned...I didn't think about it before I loaded this, and like an idiot, I wiped my set list out.....Not a big deal as it wasn't a lot of presets though....LOL...moon
DAW - Protools 9 - HD3 Accel
Plugs - All Spectrasonics,Steve Slate Drums 4.0,Slate Trigger,NI Komplete 9 Ultimate,Korg Legacy,Melodyne 3,Evo Autotune,HD3 Pack,Liquid Mix, Eleven, Ample Sound Guitars
Mics - Audio Technica 4033sm, Apogee mic, several Shure SM-57s, 2- Beta 52, 2- AT 3031, 2- Samson CO2
Other - V-Drums, DW Drums, Zildjian A Customs, Muse Research Qu4ttro, Open Labs Miko Timbaland Edition
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny but I forgot just how many of the sounds I didn't care for. Oddly it was the first synth I ever realy wanted becaus of about three different sounds on it that just captivated me. Now though there isn't much there I really care to keep. I am glad I got to hear them again though. I think I am going to see if I can create a some similar sounds from thenKronos engines for the couple I still like then unload it to make room for Kronos assault, that is on my short list!
MoonMusic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how many of the patches Eric Persing did for the D50 but I remember seeing a video of him saying he did the fantasia patch....He's the founder of Spectrasonics and an unbelievable sound designer since these early days.....moon
Plugs - All Spectrasonics,Steve Slate Drums 4.0,Slate Trigger,NI Komplete 9 Ultimate,Korg Legacy,Melodyne 3,Evo Autotune,HD3 Pack,Liquid Mix, Eleven, Ample Sound Guitars
Mics - Audio Technica 4033sm, Apogee mic, several Shure SM-57s, 2- Beta 52, 2- AT 3031, 2- Samson CO2
Other - V-Drums, DW Drums, Zildjian A Customs, Muse Research Qu4ttro, Open Labs Miko Timbaland Edition
MoonMusic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
Funny but I forgot just how many of the sounds I didn't care for.

The keyboard I had that I didn't like the sounds in the most was a korg 707...Loved the looks....Hated the sound....My brother had a Poly-800 mkII that was about the same size and I loved the sound of it....moon
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong his is a great addition to the Konos, you can never have to many sounds but I think that the Kronos just out shines a fair few of them. I heard the D50 back in 1988 right after I got out of the Marines. The mor I hi k about it the more I hunk I was wrong above. I think there were more sounds that I really liked but now, for me about half of them I wouldn't use be ause the Kronos has sounds I would rather use, hey may not be the same but they fit my taste better now.

Sharp did an incredible job Putting his together but my tastes now lean more towards the Kronos assault sound set.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The D50 was never really respected for it's factory sounds. While a few of them are great and did become famous sounds, most of the great things people did with the D50 came from custom patches. It's still a library worth downloading and owning even if you never use it. As odd as that sounds.

The second D50 library I'm working will be the one most will want as it will contain many recreations of classic sounds that became highly sought after and it will be used with the power of the KRONOS to create new content.

All that's a while away though as I'm still in the process of replicating classic sounds on the D50 itself right now.

Regards
Sharp.
JohnDonovan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sharp,

In the middle of downloading at the moment, and thought I'd just take the time to say Thanks!
MoonMusic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I never heard the original D50 presets, I could tell when playing through some of them they sounded BETTER than the original simply because of using the built in Kronos effects, etc.....I'm positive they don't sound as good coming directly from the D50 because of this....I had the same experience when I made a huge Ensoniq library for my Yamaha XS....The patches I sampled sounded better coming out of the XS versus the original Ensoniq.....moon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: