Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monotron vs. Gakken

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Monotron Series
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elastictroubadour

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Monotron vs. Gakken Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

As an owner of one of each of the three Monotron varieties, I had often thought (like many others, no doubt) about how nice it would be to have some decent envelope controls. I noticed that the Gakken SX-150 does have, but I really can't find any decent review or demonstration of the Gakken to get an informed opinion about it. How does the sound compare to a Monotron?

If anybody with any experience with the Gakken has anything to say, it would be most appreciated.

Thanks.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could help but I've never even heard of the Gakken. I have the Monotron and the duo. I think these are amazing little synths for their size and price. I'm hoping to incorperate them into the live show with my metal band. My primary keyboard is my Kronos but I think these could be fine for a weird section of a prog/metal song.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting ... Apparently you have to assemble it yourself. Plus as an added treat the instructions are in Japanese only. Maybe I'll give it a try.

http://www.makershed.com/product_p/mkgk8.htm
Yoa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gakken is a bit odd. It's Japanese, its instructions to build aren't the most clear set, and it is very limited unless you mod the hell out of the original, but once you get one up and running (or just buy a pre-made one) it has a very warm, smooth tone that has a lot of potential.

If you just want an EG for your monotron, grab a simple ASR EG schematic and maybe a comparator-based gate generator and mod your monotron. It's much easier than it might sound, don't worry Smile

Current electronic equipment: Korg Kaossilator, miniKP, microKORG, nanoKEY, nanoPAD, nanoKONTROL, monotron, Pandora PX5D, AX1000G, M-Audio Keystation 88es, Casio VL Tone, Soundcraft 102 mixer, laptop (which, among other things, has the KORG Legacy Collection and various NI stuffs), Acer Iconia a100 (has many music apps), Stylophone, Yamaha DX7
HardWired

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually have both... rarely use the Gakken... modded the original monotron on second day of owning it and bought it release day then played show with it that night... that case is so tight... used metal screws with alligator clips... it has been my goto test oscillator ever since... have all my notes and schematics archived around here somewhere.. fabulous with control voltage Cool
Occultronics
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Monotron Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: