Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Playing SAMPLE LOOPS on Kronos?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kronos4king

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Playing SAMPLE LOOPS on Kronos? Reply with quote

Hi
This is my first day/post here. I took the plunge and upgraded from a Juno G to the Kronos 73.
Amazing sound quality and inspirational Karma etc. I also find the ability to load DX7 patches fantastic.

The only LIMITATION COMPARED TO THE JUNO G
[and this may just be me not having worked things out]
is this.

On the Juno G, you can make loops quickly and assign them to pads for triggering/layering whilst being able to play any patch or combination over that.

I have not been able to find a way to get a similar form of playing loops, overlaying loops , whilst being able to play a sound [with the aim of resampling that].

It also seems difficult to assign samples to the sequencer.

It also seems difficult to assign a sample to be the basic wave of a new patch. Samples seem to only be assigned to the lower octave of the keyboard.

Is the Kronos ABLE TO DO THAT?

Has anyone here done that.

Any bits of info that you can add will be appreciated.

Thanks again
MarPabl
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronos4king

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarPabl wrote:

Thanks
will look into that
Much appreciated
Any new landscape looks like a wilderness at first Very Happy
kronos4king

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into the RPPR as recommended but that seems to be a way of sequencing phrases.

Is there a way to trigger loops which will continue to play and loop when triggered and where you can trigger loops on and off to create different arrangements.

This is possible on the Roland Juno G.
I was hoping there would be a way to do that on the Kronos.

So far I have managed to make loops and assign them to individual keys and to export as a MS.

But the key needs to be held down to sustain the loop and the program disappears when I next boot up.

Kronos is komplicated!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're describing the exact features of RPPR, except that your loops are midi instead of audio.
kid_nepro_2002
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Playing SAMPLE LOOPS on Kronos? Reply with quote

kronos4king wrote:
Hi
I have not been able to find a way to get a similar form of playing loops, overlaying loops , whilst being able to play a sound [with the aim of resampling that].

For me, the best way to deal with loops is to time slice them and assign them to the drum track. Then you can easily turn them on and off, sync them to your program or combi and change the speed without changing the pitch. Once you get used to how it's done, it only takes a few minutes. Here's how….

http://www.kidnepro.com/blog/how-to-convert-wav-file-sample-loops-to-korg-kronos-user-drum-patterns/

Cool

New Sound Libraries For Korg Synths
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Playing SAMPLE LOOPS on Kronos? Reply with quote

kid_nepro_2002 wrote:
kronos4king wrote:
Hi

For me, the best way to deal with loops is to time slice them and assign them to the drum track. Then you can easily turn them on and off, sync them to your program or combi and change the speed without changing the pitch. Once you get used to how it's done, it only takes a few minutes. Here's how….

http://www.kidnepro.com/blog/how-to-convert-wav-file-sample-loops-to-korg-kronos-user-drum-patterns/

Cool

Excellent tutorial kidnepro !

Thanks for sharing.
kid_nepro_2002
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Playing SAMPLE LOOPS on Kronos? Reply with quote

QuiRobinez wrote:

Excellent tutorial kidnepro !

Thanks for sharing.

Your welcome. Hope you find it useful.

I should give credit to my friend, Jack Hotop from Korg USA, who spent about an hour on the phone with me walking me through it when I first got my M3. It's pretty much the same on Kronos. Just needed a few edits.

Thanks Jack! Smile

kronos4king

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Playing SAMPLE LOOPS on Kronos? Reply with quote

kid_nepro_2002 wrote:
kronos4king wrote:
Hi

Cool

Thanks. I've got that nervous feeling that it isn't going to work for me lol. But I'll give it a go this weekend. Many thanks kid_nepro!
kronos4king

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Playing SAMPLE LOOPS on Kronos? Reply with quote

kid_nepro_2002 wrote:
kronos4king wrote:
Hi

Cool

Hi

I just trying to work through that method now.

A question.
Can you assign multiple loops to the drum track?

And how do you turn the loops on and off on the fly in real time - I was thinking in the way you can do that with the Juno G pads or in the Matrix mode in Sonar for example.

Just knowing what can be done will be reassuring for now. It will motivate me to spend time really working it out.

Thanks again kid_nepro
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, RPPR is what you want.
kid_nepro_2002
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Playing SAMPLE LOOPS on Kronos? Reply with quote

kronos4king wrote:

And how do you turn the loops on and off on the fly in real time.

Thanks again kid_nepro

Your welcome. Glad to help.

No. The drum track will only play one pattern/loop at a time.

You can program the drum track button to play as soon as you turn it on - instead of having to press a key. Then just turn it on and off with that.

Another option is to set up a combi and use KARMA. You can switch from one KARMA scene to another and program which scenes will play the drum track. Look in KARMA/RTP Scenes. You just uncheck the box for each scene that you want the drum track turned off. Then you can just switch from one scene to another turning it on and off. I use this method a lot to sync the loop to the four KARMA modules and have different mixes on each scene.

I have not used multiple loops doing this and not sure if that can be done so maybe the RPPR method might work better for you. Sorry, but I'm not familiar on how that all works and if it will work with audio loops, midi or both. Hopefully someone who has done this can chime in about it. I'd be interested to know how that all works too! Smile

ed_f
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Playing SAMPLE LOOPS on Kronos? Reply with quote

kronos4king wrote:
And how do you turn the loops on and off on the fly in real time.

That kind of seems a backward to look at it that way. If you are in a combi, you have one drum track available. You can assign it to one midi channel.
So theoretically you could have a loop in every timbre assigned to the same channel, so you could pull them in an out, but the drum track would not be right for any but one of them (using kidnepro approach)
I agree the "built in" way to do what you want is RPPR, but that does limit you to being in the sequencer.

How many loops do you want to control? Outside of the sequence RPPR, you would have to use some KARMA tricks to get there.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RPPR lets you create midi clips/loops and toggle them on and off Ableton style. You can have sixteen different instruments and if you really need them to be an audio sample for some reason, just resample your performance and assign it to a key in a new multisample. Then RPPR that. You can program the patterns to always start on the beat or always on the one or whatever. You can then record an entire performance, triggering loops on and off and playing, in the sequencer. And combine it with regular linear parts if you want. And sixteen audio tracks. You will need to save your song and sampleset, true, but once you know the routine, it's pretty quick. Other than an extra step or two, how is this not exactly what you want?
kronos4king

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
RPPR lets you create midi clips/loops and toggle them on and off Ableton style. You can have sixteen different instruments and if you really need them to be an audio sample for some reason, just resample your performance and assign it to a key in a new multisample. Then RPPR that. You can program the patterns to always start on the beat or always on the one or whatever. You can then record an entire performance, triggering loops on and off and playing, in the sequencer. And combine it with regular linear parts if you want. And sixteen audio tracks. You will need to save your song and sampleset, true, but once you know the routine, it's pretty quick. Other than an extra step or two, how is this not exactly what you want?

Hey this sounds interesting.
I like this idae since I am using loops of stuff sampled via the audio ins.

'if you really need them to be an audio sample for some reason, just resample your performance and assign it to a key in a new multisample.'

I assume you turn the RPPR on and off by using the 'mute' and 'play' buttons in the sequencer?

Thanks for your tips!! Sander
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: