Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Playing SAMPLE LOOPS on Kronos?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You loop and stop individual phrases (even if they're one note phrases playing an audio loop) by pressing the key you assigned them too. You can of course mute the TIMBRE they're playing using the sequencers mix options (solo/mute) etc.
I'm not sure if stopping the sequencer stops the RPPR patterns. I suppose so?
kronos4king

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
You loop and stop individual phrases (even if they're one note phrases playing an audio loop) by pressing the key you assigned them too. You can of course mute the TIMBRE they're playing using the sequencers mix options (solo/mute) etc.
I'm not sure if stopping the sequencer stops the RPPR patterns. I suppose so?

I assume you have to have the sequencer running which is no problem for general jamming. I imagine having a few loops running then overlaying or changing between them. I'll think I'll try that and use the mute/play buttons.
I was thinking of having many samples in one patch and have that patch on several tracks in the sequeencer.
I can then trigger various combinations of samples indifferent tracks.

Then if I want say AB I can have that on track 1.
ABC on 2
ACD on 3
AGH on 4 etc.
So to get differnt arrangements I just trigger all tracks then mute and bring in the tracks as I need.

Sounds like it may work.

Thanks again. But please point out if the above is not possible.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what you mean so it's hard to say. But if you have twenty different audio loops you could theoretically put them all in one patch. Then use an RPPR "chord" to trigger different combinations. To me personally it would make most sense to have each instrument group in a different channel/timbre. So if you would want to turn up the bass or something, you know it's always on the same channel.

But I'm sure you can find a method that works for you.
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it not just be easier to set up a multisample with all the audio loops mapped to individual keys or am I missing something?
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, posted without seeing Sanders last post, I thing we are saying the ame thing there?
kronos4king

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobTheDog wrote:
Would it not just be easier to set up a multisample with all the audio loops mapped to individual keys or am I missing something?

The key [excuse the pun Embarassed] difficulty I'm having is working out how to trigger loops which continue to play ['latch'] .

I was comparing to the Juno G which has dedicated pads that can trigger loops. Whilst these are playing you can change patches and try different sounds over the top . whcih is great for coming up with new ideas.

The Kronos seems to have workarounds but none that seem as spontaneous and condusive to creativity.

It would be nice if the Kronos virtual pads would do the same
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what you use RPPR for. Record a pattern where you just hold down the key and tell it to loop. Then assign it to a key. Pretty sure you could use a pad to trigger it too.
ed_f
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
This is what you use RPPR for. Record a pattern where you just hold down the key and tell it to loop. Then assign it to a key. Pretty sure you could use a pad to trigger it too.

Just assign the pad to the key that would trigger the loop.
kronos4king

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:

Thanks sander. Will try that later today.
kronos4king

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_f wrote:
SanderXpander wrote:

Just assign the pad to the key that would trigger the loop.

OK cool!
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't really do that with KRONOS using audio loops because KRONOS doesn't have auto-time stretch and it doesn't have a dedicated sample pad mode/function. If all your loops are of same tempo, then you could map those on keys of a drumkit, and use mute groups to assign a key to stop the loop. But, you will need an external pad controller and hit the keys on beats.
kronos4king

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shakil wrote:
You can't really do that with KRONOS using audio loops because KRONOS doesn't have auto-time stretch and it doesn't have a dedicated sample pad mode/function. If all your loops are of same tempo, then you could map those on keys of a drumkit, and use mute groups to assign a key to stop the loop. But, you will need an external pad controller and hit the keys on beats.

That sounds useful. I don't mind getting a pad controller.

I was thinking of getting the nanopad2 if that was able to trigger loops.
Do you know if it will work?
Would you then be able to loop sample and be able to play patchs or combis over the top?
I find being able to do that helpful with writing.

The other option I thought about was hooking up a microsampler or kaoss kp3 [but only 4 pads Sad ] to act as the loop players and then monitor through the audio ins and overdub that way. Lots of messing around though with either idea.

Thanks for the ideas.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shakil, sorry but that is incorrect. Yes the loops will have be all in the same tempo but if you use RPPR to trigger the "phrase" (just one note playing the sample) you can have them start on the beat or on the one every time. By assigning a Kronos screen pad (or a nanopad2 pad of course) to that key you can use the pad to toggle the loop on and off.
ed_f
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronos4king wrote:
Shakil wrote:

That sounds useful. I don't mind getting a pad controller.

I was thinking of getting the nanopad2 if that was able to trigger loops.
Do you know if it will work?
Would you then be able to loop sample and be able to play patchs or combis over the top?
I find being able to do that helpful with writing.

The other option I thought about was hooking up a microsampler or kaoss kp3 [but only 4 pads Sad ] to act as the loop players and then monitor through the audio ins and overdub that way. Lots of messing around though with either idea.

Thanks for the ideas.

You are kind of looking for something that doesn't exist directly on the Kronos. (From the way I am reading your posts) That is why people dont say yes/no, but give you some possible work arounds.

To be able to change tempo, start/stop, fade in and out. You are going to have to time slice and set all your loops up, and then setup RPPR, DrumTracks or Karma and pad assignments. There is no "load a loop and it works" mode. (ie loading a loop "into" a pad)

So can you trigger a loop and jam over it with a program as you asked (for example). Stated just like that - no. Can you load a program into a combi or sequencer along with a program that contains a time sliced loop (and the other setup mentioned) -then yes. The answer for a combi gets more complicated.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that was an answer that answered my question in another thread thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: