Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

smf playback problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
studio99

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: smf playback problems Reply with quote

This problem is driving me NUTS!
I have a bunch of standard midi files. My Yamaha keyboard plays them flawlessly directly from a flash drive.
When I load them into the sequencer of my newly acquired micro station the instruments are garbled in almost all cases. I have my bank settings at GM and when I apply initialize GM from the SEQ menu, that solves the problem on some of them. Many however still have at least the drum track not working (stays on the acoustic piano patch)
I can change the voice to a workable drum kit and it sounds fine, however the voice change doesn't stick when saved to the sd card.
I don't mind doing a one time calibration, however having to do it every time makes the instrument useless as a performance instrument if you use smf backing tracks.
There must be a fix or work around for this??
Thanks immensely for any help!!
studio99

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok this is mostly solved thanks to some good info from this forum.

Here's what worked:

Global mode > media > load > Load the smf
SEQ mode > Command > initialize GM > OK
Return to Global mode without doing anything
Return to SEQ mode and the song plays fine (most of the time)
Name the song (if necessary) and save it back to your sd card as a seq (not a smf). Use the save all command
It will continue to load OK as part of the song group you saved it to

Sounds like a pain but really very easy and quick
MJ Klein

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

studio99 wrote:
Ok this is mostly solved thanks to some good info from this forum.

Here's what worked:

Global mode > media > load > Load the smf
SEQ mode > Command > initialize GM > OK
Return to Global mode without doing anything
Return to SEQ mode and the song plays fine (most of the time)
Name the song (if necessary) and save it back to your sd card as a seq (not a smf). Use the save all command
It will continue to load OK as part of the song group you saved it to

Sounds like a pain but really very easy and quick

i have yet to have any SMF file play back correctly. does one have to change the bank to GM before loading the SMF?
新竹縣湖口鄉
MJ Klein

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: smf playback problems Reply with quote

studio99 wrote:
This problem is driving me NUTS!
I have a bunch of standard midi files. My Yamaha keyboard plays them flawlessly directly from a flash drive.
When I load them into the sequencer of my newly acquired micro station the instruments are garbled in almost all cases. I have my bank settings at GM and when I apply initialize GM from the SEQ menu, that solves the problem on some of them. Many however still have at least the drum track not working (stays on the acoustic piano patch)
I can change the voice to a workable drum kit and it sounds fine, however the voice change doesn't stick when saved to the sd card.
I don't mind doing a one time calibration, however having to do it every time makes the instrument useless as a performance instrument if you use smf backing tracks.
There must be a fix or work around for this??
Thanks immensely for any help!!

mine won't play the drum tracks either. i have a piano beating time and it sounds terrible. i need to find a procedure that works.
新竹縣湖口鄉
Rockitman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: SMF preparation Reply with quote

Before I load a Standard MIDI file (smf) in a Synth, I always open it in a MIDI editor or DAW first. I setup all my MIDI files where the first measure contains Program changes and Controller changes. Measure two just has a 4 stick count-in on the drum track. I use a really old Cakewalk Professional 3.1 software for this as I know it well. If you do not prepare your smf especially by adding a program change onto track 10 (drums) then you do not know what you will get. The default patch in any sequencer is piano...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: