Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pa800 Vs Pa900
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa900/Pa3X Le
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adimatis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Pa900 Vs Pa800 Reply with quote

bachchan wrote:
so if you are playing one variation and want to trigger just Fill 2, there is no way.

Safe yourself an embaresment by really checking first... Shocked Embarassed
Dikikeys

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pros...

Four fills, not two. Korg's jumpy 2 fill system always bugged me.
The Chord Sequencer. Once you learn to use it, you never want an arranger without one!
Massive increase in DNC voices.

Cons...

No EC5 input (although it's way overdue for Korg to bring out a better, bigger one... five just ain't enough!)
Only stereo outputs. Doubt many use all 4 though, on the PA800.

At a grand less, unless you are tied to one of those cons, it's a no-brainer.
Fransman
Platinum Member

Location: Netherlands (PA4X61+PAas. Past: PA3X, PA800, Y PSR-S910, PA500, T KN1000, Y PSR-16)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally had the chance to play PA900 last Friday.
It was a bit rumorous in the store where I was, so even with my headphones on, I couldn't hear all things as good as I wanted.

Here's my opinion:
Great, good looking instrument; a lot of styles are the same as in PA800, but also a few good new ones.
The same goes for sounds. Especially some of the new synth pad samples are very good sounding.
A lot of the samples sound a bit brighter, cleaner, refreshened.

Amplification system is not quite on the same hight level as PA800. I could turn the volume knob all the way up without my ears exploding (both with and without headphones).
With PA800 this is definitely not possible. I always have my volume slider about half way up max.
Speakers sound good, but not as good as PA800. I missed a bit of 'oomph'.

The instrument is more compact; it felt like less quality built than my PA800. Especially the keys.
Not bad, but not quite as good as PA800. Less key travel & I think they're a tiny bit smaller on PA900.

Overall: I was not overwhelmed by the instrument. I'm not sure I will trade my PA800 for the PA900, but I guess not.
I think I will wait for the next range, maybe PA4X or one of its derivates.

I do think it's a shame Korg doesn't provide the new collection of styles (Bonusware) in PA800 format.
As they put it themselves in their manual: 'don't let your instrument get outdated'. I don't, but Korg does.

Anyway, I'm still very happy with my PA800 and enjoy playing it every day.
I wouldn't be surprised that within a year or so, PA900 is cheaper on the second hand market than a second hand PA800.
I just think PA800 is a better piece of quality gear; more built to last.
I'm a bit spoilt with it I guess...

Cool

Play in style. Wink
Chris763

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a big misunderstanding about Pa900 being successor of Pa800. Korg never made any keyboards yet to exactly replace the Pa800.

The Pa900 is basically an upgrade of Pa600. The Pa800 is still superior over Pa900 in many ways.
Fransman
Platinum Member

Location: Netherlands (PA4X61+PAas. Past: PA3X, PA800, Y PSR-S910, PA500, T KN1000, Y PSR-16)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fransman wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised that within a year or so, PA900 is cheaper on the second hand market than a second hand PA800.
I just think PA800 is a better piece of quality gear; more built to last.

Cool

And it's actually WITHIN half a year that I spotted a second hand PA900 at the same price level as a second hand PA800...

Cool

Play in style. Wink
Leedslad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Pa900 v 800 Reply with quote

This is my first post with korg, I was a Yamaha user but migrated back to korg, I had a trinity and a pa80 a and have to say the 900 does not feel as robust as any other korg, I have to suspect the manufacturing and materials used have an impact on the price,and anyone buying this unit should purchase added insurance I.e guitar centers 3years plan. This unit is almost straight out of Toys are Us. Sounds ok, piano isn't that hot, and the speakers are probably 5watts, it definitely isn't 20. I been playing around with the 900 for about a week, there are some great tech improvements but if the body is week these improvements ain't gonna last for long. I am considering returning the unit, I still get great joy out of the PA80 which seems to have a better sound and feel more substantial and doesn't have that "toyish"appearance. I had sampled Yamaha p255 and the Roland.800, both were built beautifully but were lacking in other areas. I guess I'll keep on looking.
Fransman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Pa900 v 800 Reply with quote

Leedslad wrote:
This is my first post with korg, I was a Yamaha user but migrated back to korg, I had a trinity and a pa80 a and have to say the 900 does not feel as robust as any other korg, I have to suspect the manufacturing and materials used have an impact on the price,and anyone buying this unit should purchase added insurance I.e guitar centers 3years plan. This unit is almost straight out of Toys are Us. Sounds ok, piano isn't that hot, and the speakers are probably 5watts, it definitely isn't 20. I been playing around with the 900 for about a week, there are some great tech improvements but if the body is week these improvements ain't gonna last for long. I am considering returning the unit, I still get great joy out of the PA80 which seems to have a better sound and feel more substantial and doesn't have that "toyish"appearance. I had sampled Yamaha p255 and the Roland.800, both were built beautifully but were lacking in other areas. I guess I'll keep on looking.

I think you're right about the built quality, but then again: PA900 was brougt to the market at about 1.000 euro lower price level then PA800.
So it's quite logical there ARE differences in built quality.

Still, PA900 is a great buy when it comes to value for money.

And a great competitor for Yam S950, which I consider to be the more "toy shop" instrument.

Play in style. Wink
PraiseTheLord

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am taking my Pa900 out 5 times a week since it was introduced (last August). It is extremely robust, and still looks as good as new!

I think it sounds awesome, although I know that's a personal thing, even with just the speakers. Also, those speakers are more than enough for the 50-60 person Nursing Home programs that I do without any additional reinforcement, which means they are fine for practice at home. They are also great for personal monitoring in a larger setting.

This is no toy!
Snorkum

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Leedslad:
I think your evaluation and characterizasion of The Korg Pa900 is, and try to be very politically correct, unfair at best. I understand that it is a personal preference an so on. However, you are one of the extreme minority, that things PA900 is a toy and not even worth giving it a second thought. I have to say only ameteurs would state an irresponsible thoguth like this.
I have researched Arrangers for three(3) months, before I bought the Pa900. I have tried several arrangers, that incl. S950, BK9, KN7000 etc.
This, by far autshines the others by value for the $$, by sound generation, etc. By the way, it is pretty darn well build, compared to the S950, as far as the buttons, key response, screen etc. You even have features you cannot find on Keyboard that are $5,000 or higher, like the Tyros 5. The articulation of sound and articulation features you have are superb. The sound quality is far above what you get on others arrangers costing more. Even musicians that play for several years told me what a incredible Orchestra sound is coming out of this arranger. You even can generate your own sample sounds. And I just scratched the surface of features.
So that tells me you have never even given the Pa900 a chance, otherwise you wouldn't make such unqualified statement. What a pitty.

Last edited by Snorkum on Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:47 am; edited 3 times in total
Fransman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Snorkum,

Calm down and relax, no need to be angry at me.
I really don't understand your irritated tone.
I actually agree with most of what you say, as you can see in my posts.
Please read read them more carefully.

And having said that: yes I am an amateur (and always will be probably).
What's wrong with that?

Play in style. Wink
Snorkum

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Fransman:

I do apologize for that. This comment was geared towards Leedslad.
And beside I do read comments very carefully, I just addressed the wrong person. You are correct, you do agree with most. It was Leedslad who I wanted to address and not you. Sorry.
Again I apologize for addressing the incorrect person. I edited the original post to address the correct person.

There is nothing wrong with amerteurs, of course not, I am an amerteur myself, I just get so frustrated with poeple who can not be objective enough. They try to compare a Mercedes with a Chevy, and than complain why the Chevy, which is a lot less expensive, doesn't stack up to the Mercedes.
Fransman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies accepted & no hard feelings.

Again, I agree with you (Mercedes - Chevy comparison).

Glad to hear you're happy with your PA900, I think it's a great instrument.
I seriously thought about trading in my PA800 for it, but in the end I didn't.
I will wait for the next line of Korg arrangers (PA4X or derivate).
I'm still very, very happy with my PA800... amazing instrument, the best keyboard I've ever had.

Cheerz! Very Happy

Play in style. Wink
Leedslad

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Pa900 Reply with quote

Ok mr snorkum there is an obvious bias here, my qualifications are - the psr2700 arranger, clavinova, pa80, korg trinity and now the pa900, and the 900 is a definite change. Technically the unit is to korgs hi std, I'm just disappointed with aesthetics which I didn't think korg would stoop to. I guess its a sign of the times, and by the way what as the psr950 got to do with anything? There are other units I would consider before the 950. Anyway cool your jets and you do understand what I'm talking about even though you won't admit it.
Snorkum

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't care much for people who trash talk a product and calling it a toy from "Toys 'R' US" without even knowing what the unit is all about. And I am not biased, because I am neither a Korg, Yamaha, Roland or any other Keyboard person, I like the best value for the money. And at this time it the Korg. Everything is personal preference, that is correct. Technology changes always, even in material. But in your case, if a keyboard doesn't have a steel case it's junk. That tells me a lot about your qualification.
Try to be a little bit more objective next time and have an open mind.

Last edited by Snorkum on Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Nemik
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welll... I love my Korg PA600.
when I got few months ago, I was kind of "why not Pa3x or Pa800".
Now after I start using, I don't even think to upgrade.
Take me while to tune-up, but now some people don't wanna believe is only Pa600
I love what I got and unless santa give me free I not willing to change.
The point I try to make is : you don't need to have better instrument to play better. In order to make some good music first you need to love to play and have some skills, if you got better one, doesn't mean you going to be better performer, I personally know people own top line instruments and don't play jack. Smile
Also I know people you can give them to play some $200 casio keyboard and they can pull more from that probably more people here having dilemma witch version is better.
They have differences prices for many reasons, hard to tell if you don't try what fit you best.
Fl Studio 21, Ableton Live 10 Suite.
Korg Pa5x Sounds at Performers Heaven
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa900/Pa3X Le All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: