Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

German dark and Japanese c3
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: German dark and Japanese c3 Reply with quote

I have combined the two into a single program. I have it about where I want it but I did add the s tube preamp. I now have a to e I like except if I hammer a bit harder I hear break up and I do not want that. I can turn the s tubepreamp off and it goes away. Is there a setting I can use on the s tubepreamp that will prevent this from happening? I can't seem to get rid of it and may have to come up with an alternative. I am forgetting the preap number but will look it up in the morning. I think it was st tube pre. Thanks for any direction!
.Jens

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, why do you want to use a preamp effect in the first place? Normally you would go for an effect like this if you actually want some distortion.

If it's too much, just lower the gain or saturation a bit, but I doubt that if you try to completely avoid any "break up" for high velocities, the preamp would have any effect in the end...
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it's clipping somewhere in the internal signal path. Are you using a combi or program? Try attenuating both pianos so that they sound about as loud as a regular single piano patch. Then add your tube preamp and color to taste, but make sure you don't do a huge gain boost to undo the volume change.

If you find it keeps breaking up on high velocities (which it shouldn't really, at this point) you could also consider adding a relatively strong compressor (4/5:1) before the preamp and play with the threshold so it catches only those peaks.

Good luck!
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I put what I thought was a stereo tube preamp in line because I was just trying to get a bit of color in there. At all but the highest velocities I like it. I will fire the beast up and see what my settings are but currently I remember that the gains are at -.5%.

I may just find a different way to add the tonal tweak I get from this. I combined the two pianos together because there where things I liked about both and it seems those things carried over. I have been tweaking on this for months! If I can figure out how to copy it and link it I will.

I have two versions one I tried to tweak to be a bit more old west saloon sounding. I have it close but not exactly where I want it. I wish I could tweak individual groups of strings for tuning rather then having it affect the whole key range universally. I think it would certainly be more realistic that way. On the old saloon pianos not every group of strings for a given note where the same as the rest some would be in, some not and some out more then others.

Sorry that is a whole other topic. Thanks guys I will try the suggestions above. I have a feeling I will just have to try a different approach in the end. If anyone is interested in trying these two programs let me know and I will try and figure out how to post them up. I would accept any criticism you would offer. No guarantees I would change them though as I really like where I am at with them. The German D dark and Japanese C3 seem to really compliment each other.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make a combi with different ranges and tune each part differently using tone adjust. Or even using different programs.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm interesting idea, would that not suck up a lot of processor resources and memory?
Thanks!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh... No? Each note would still only trigger two programs. Max 4 if you use crossfades.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I have more reading as I have not tried creating a combi yet! Thanks for the idea!
Hal2001

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this exact distortion happen a couple of times when I changed my EQ setting on the piano program. When I set the EQ back to neutral there was no more distortion. You can check your EQ if that has been changed.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will take a look. I did not intentionally change any eq but maybe I tweaked something by accident.
Hal2001

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
I will take a look. I did not intentionally change any eq but maybe I tweaked something by accident.
if you're accessing your sound via an EQ'd setlist (ie. if you stored it there) it will acquire the EQ of that setlist. If the setlist has been EQ'd away from neutral you can try putting it back to neutral. Or, the problem may be elsewhere. Good luck.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the set list will not reflect the program eq? I copied my piano program over the Rudess one. I never checked the eq from set list, but it does this also when accessed from program mode. I dumped the preamp and am looking at alternatives. I couldn't get the problem to go away by adjusting the preamp settings. Trying a stereo expander no but it doesn't seem to do anything for me.
ed_f
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
So the set list will not reflect the program eq? I copied my piano program over the Rudess one. I never checked the eq from set list, but it does this also when accessed from program mode. I dumped the preamp and am looking at alternatives. I couldn't get the problem to go away by adjusting the preamp settings. Trying a stereo expander no but it doesn't seem to do anything for me.

Set Lists have an additional Control Surface option, not available in the other modes: EQ. This is a nine‐band graphic EQ applied to the sound after TFX2, which tailors the sound from the main stereo outputs (including the analog L/R outputs, S/P DIF, and USB). p119 Op guide
Hal2001

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
So the set list will not reflect the program eq? I copied my piano program over the Rudess one. I never checked the eq from set list
As Ed just replied to you, the set list EQ is Another layer of EQ on top of the program's EQ. For example, I might use the set list EQ to Accommodate a stage/room performance acoustics requirement.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not know that thanks you all!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: