Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Continued midi question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuck

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Continued midi question Reply with quote

Thanks to those involved with "why the PA600 will not transmit a TRANSPOSED midi signal".

I've had several inputs from some of you including those from Korg Support. I have followed all of the guidance = Global - Tuning - Transpose - Transpose applies to player - Post KB/pre-scale.

If I play a raw chord (C) the LED on my vocalizer tells me what key I am playing. When I transpose and play the same chord the LED stays at C. PLus the harmonies sound bad.
At first I thought there was something wrong with the vocalizer so I changed it to another one and had the same problem.

There is a midi singal being sent but for some reason it is not transposing. FYI. The same vocalizer works with my PA3X even with transposing. Could be a PA 600 flaw. I'll take any constructive suggestions. Thanks.
Old fingers
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck,

Just spent some time with this. The only way I could get transposed chords out the midi port was to set a midi output channel to LOWER --- NOT CHORD. I suppose there could be an argument for having CHORD not be transposed. If other connected equipment are also set to transpose then you could get double transpositions. I'm not entirely sure what KORG intended here. By the way, LOWER sends out the exact keys you play. So 'short-cut' chords are probably not going to be deciphered properly by your Vocal Processor. If your Vocal Processor can transpose the midi input then you should use midi CHORD output.

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
Chuck

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll get back to the drawing board tomorrow. A friend of mine who lives in Arizona is very well versed on MIDI. We went through every page in the manual and I think we tried the approach you suggest with no results. I sent him your response. It's good to have people like you and him who understand this stuff better than I do.Like my friend tells me, Chuck you are a user not a tech. I have two days left on my options to keep the 600 or send it back. It's not looking good right now. Chuck
Old fingers
Chuck

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this is the way I should have posed the question.

I'm trying to use an external vocal harmonizer with my PA600, but am having problems.

It works okay as long as I don't transpose the PA600. If I transpose the keyboard, the raw (un-transposed) notes are still sent to the harmonizer -- i.e., the MIDI transpose information is not being sent.

The problem is with some setting in the PA600, because the problem does not exist if I use my PA3 keyboard instead with no changes to the harmonizer.

Is there a setting within the PA600 that would turn transmission of MIDI Transpose data on and off? Could the Transpose info be transmitted on a different channel?

Local transpose is okay. It is just transpose through MIDI Out that seems out of whack.

I am currently using all default settings in the PA600
Old fingers
shim

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I advise you to return it. Get the pa900 and it will spare you needing to use this external harmonizer at all.
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck wrote:
Perhaps this is the way I should have posed the question.

I'm trying to use an external vocal harmonizer with my PA600, but am having problems.

It works okay as long as I don't transpose the PA600. If I transpose the keyboard, the raw (un-transposed) notes are still sent to the harmonizer -- i.e., the MIDI transpose information is not being sent.

The problem is with some setting in the PA600, because the problem does not exist if I use my PA3 keyboard instead with no changes to the harmonizer.

Is there a setting within the PA600 that would turn transmission of MIDI Transpose data on and off? Could the Transpose info be transmitted on a different channel?

Local transpose is okay. It is just transpose through MIDI Out that seems out of whack.

I am currently using all default settings in the PA600

As I said above. CHORD sends out the actual un-transposed chord data --- If you play a CEG with transpose set to +2 steps, the PA600 will send CEG out on the CHORD channel but play DF#A locally. The LOWER midi out would send out DF#A. I've confirmed this by using MIDI-OX to analyze the MIDI data stream.

Paolo HELP!!! Is this the way you guys designed it?

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
Saswick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: VH problem Reply with quote

Hi Chuck

I had the same problem. If you set the VH channel to the Chord setting as in other Korg keyboards that does not work either. I reported this to Korg ages ago and it was not fixed on the update.

The work around I found was to lock the lower sound with the sound ON . The VH does not respond if the lower sound is muted, I normally set the lower sound to string's.

Set channel 1 on the midi out page to lower.

Set master transpose to off, the songbook will then respond to the transpose setting for individual song's.

I eventually tried sending the headphone output to the AUX input on my TC Helicon Voicelive Touch which seems to track the harmony's much better than MIDI signals, this solved all the problems.

Hope this help's

Col
Pa600
Previously MicroArranger
Previously Pa2x
Previously PA800
Previously Yamaha S900
Previously i30
Chuck

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. I'll start messing with your suggestions today. But in the end it is important I get immediate and correct responses when I tap my keys in transpose mode. Can't have things sounding whacky when I'm in front of audiences. Appreciate everyone's help. Chuck
Old fingers
Chuck

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for assisting with the transpose issue on the PA600. Korg support (NY) did not respond after I sent them my issue along with your comments. After all of the efforts, I decided not to keep the PA600 and sold it to a friend in Indiana. He is not concerned about transposing. Again, thanks for all of your help and comments. Chuck Smile
Old fingers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa600/Pa300 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: