Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thoughts from a new KingKorg owner
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dukesjourney

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Thoughts from a new KingKorg owner Reply with quote

Hi everyone, my KingKorg purchased used from ebay, arrived late Friday and I've just had a few hours with it today, Sunday.
I've been looking for several weeks for a synthesizer and did a lot of research on synths. I generally like progressive rock so right off you know I like beefy juicy analog sounding synths.

There was a reference in another thread to the SOS review which compared the KingKorg to the Sledge and GAIA.
I did a ton of research including user reviews, music publication reviews, youtube videos and music forums.
Again in reference to the SOS review, the Studiologic Sledge was right at the top of my list and I came close to pulling the trigger on a used one but something about it bothered me.
From the YT videos, there is something about the low end that just grated on my ears, whereas the videos of the KK low end is deep, juicy and ballsy.
The Sledge is selling new on ebay for $1599 and the KK new for $1299.
The KK's have been going for $750-$850 for original owner w/3months use.
For some reason a lot of people are doing a quick turnaround on them, so if you want one, now is the time to pick one up before they get tossed around one ebay from one seller to another and wind up scratched and beat up.

The plethora of modeled filters and the user friend interface is a no brainer to me.
I must've watched the filter comparison Mitchell Sigman from keyboard mag did a hundred times..ok, maybe 50 times.

The thing about the KK to me is it's a synthesizer player's dream. The presets are ok, but to me, the best part is to roll up your sleeves, experiment and create your own synth patches.
I've already done two this morning(a little more tweaking needed) just from changing edits on the Stab King patch.
The KK has enough packed into this beauty to keep you busy for years.
Turn the effects off and start from scratch, use an outside effects box, experiment.

The build quality is ok, and I have no problem with the keys. My Emu EII makes a lot more noise and has less bounce.
The power on button is pretty cheap, and I worry about it's longevity sense it feels quite wobbly when you push on it.

Well, more later once I learn more and read the manual.

Thank you Korg, this is what I've been missing in my studio.
Looking forward to talking with the members here. Smile
Lando2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, welcome Smile

My experiences are similar to yours.

Turn it on and start tweaking and it nearly always sounds good.
dukesjourney

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome. Smile
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts from a new KingKorg owner Reply with quote

dukesjourney wrote:
For some reason a lot of people are doing a quick turnaround on them, so if you want one, now is the time to pick one up before they get tossed around one ebay from one seller to another

It amazes me how quickly people flip music gear.

When I buy a new keyboard, I'll usually hang onto it for years. I've had my Triton Classic since 2000 and usually gig with it once a week. Just had all the buttons replaced a couple months ago. Of course the rest of my gear stays in the studio...

Sounds Good
dukesjourney

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have to plead guilty to flipping equipment myself at times in the past.

You can do all the research in the world on a product, but until you get it home, can play it, use it, and hear it in your studio, you really don't know if it's a good fit or not.

I still have my original Roland D50, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation EX, and Moog Voyager all bought new when they were first released.
Those are all keepers! Smile
djcactus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i picked up the kk pretty much as soon as it was available, i waited for my reviews, and a play test.

I see this bad boy hanging out in the studio for a good long while.
Vlad_77

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been following this synth and would love to pull the trigger, but, I can't help but think that Kronos can do what KK does. I do think KK is a great synth, but, I still need some convincing.

Anyhow, welcome to Korg Forums dukesjourney (great name BTW!) and congratulations on your purchase of the King Korg! May it inspire you for decades to come!! Smile

Best,
Vlad
Current gear: Kronos, Jupiter 80, Kurzweil PC3,Roland Fantom X8, Roland XV-88 (yep, its old, but the ACTION is heaven and those XV-3080 sounds are still wonderful for me), Radias-R, Motif ES (yeah it's older but I love the guitars Wink )
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vlad_77 wrote:
I've been following this synth and would love to pull the trigger, but, I can't help but think that Kronos can do what KK does. I do think KK is a great synth, but, I still need some convincing.

Check these threads for some perspectives there...

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=81296

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=80917
dukesjourney

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vlad_77 wrote:

Anyhow, welcome to Korg Forums dukesjourney (great name BTW!) and congratulations on your purchase of the King Korg! May it inspire you for decades to come!! Smile

Best,
Vlad

Thank you for the welcome! I use the name over at Emax Yahoo forum, so thought what the heck, that sounds good to me.
Sunday, we had to listen to Duke of course. Smile
JPWC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the KingKorg.

At least for me......I find it to be a great performance synth. The layout and knobs just seem to be in the right place for live performance tweaking. Where as the Gaia never felt that good, and while the nord lead 2x is too cool for words, I find I have put on my reading glasses and read the panel to tweak.

enjoy
Kronos-6, Krome, M3, Radias, KingKorg, microKorg, KP-2, KP-3, KO-1, KO-1 PRO, Karma, microX, monotron, monotribe, PadCONTROL, Wavedrum Mini, Volca Keys, Beats, Bass, Sample, monotron Duo & Delay, microArranger, M1, Wavestation, Volca Sample, Keys, Beats & Bass, MS-20

JD-XA, JD-Xi, Aira (system 1, TB3, TR8, MX-1), Prophet 12, Mopho X4, Jupiter-80, FA-06, D50, CS1x, CZ101, DX200, AN200, analogFOUR, MachineDrum, MonoMachine, Motif XF6, Virus Snow, Nord Lead 2X, OP-1, MFOS, Tenori-on, QY100, QY70, meeblip se, miniBrute, microBrute, Bass Station 2
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPWC wrote:
The layout and knobs just seem to be in the right place for live performance tweaking.

IMHO, no, it isn't. Effects and Osc/Filter sections should swap sides to be in the right place.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cutoff knob on the far right is one of the worst UI decisions I've seen in a while.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
JPWC wrote:
The layout and knobs just seem to be in the right place for live performance tweaking.

IMHO, no, it isn't. Effects and Osc/Filter sections should swap sides to be in the right place.

I completely agree with that, especially cutoff and resonance would be much better placed that way.

Nevertheless, I find myself really using the knobs during live play, as I normally only do it with my Voyager or Access TI knobs in my home studio.
This synth is definitley a live performance axe, despite the funny knob layout, perhaps due to the great choice of different and well sounding filters.
MortenJ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
The cutoff knob on the far right is one of the worst UI decisions I've seen in a while.

do you also say that to Memorymoog or Roland Jupiter 8
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MortenJ wrote:
SanderXpander wrote:

do you also say that to Memorymoog or Roland Jupiter 8

Yes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KingKORG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: