Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I too have a new Korg PA900....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa900/Pa3X Le
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msutliff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: I too have a new Korg PA900.... Reply with quote

Hello all,

Picked up my new Korg PA900 from Frank last week, been playing it daily. This is my first Korg keyboard, coming off a long line of GeneralMusic keyboards ending with the WK8 that I still have (but probably not for long).

Love the sounds, very nice styles, keybed is fine for me, really digging the touch screen and USB connectivity (my WK8 still had floppies for file transfer). Very Happy

But I do have a few questions and maybe concerns. Since I'm new to the Korg OS, I'm already accepting the fact that it's probably me!

So I've got a boat-load of midi files that I want to transfer to the Korg and again, the USB is a godsend. I load a midi file, it selects the GM instruments to use, and I go into Sequencer mode so I can select the great Factory instruments and then Save. All is fine except that the keyboard wants to remember the "last group used" and I find myself doing some extra button pushing.

Okay, so I've got the midi file loaded and let's say I want to select a better piano for track 1. I'm in the GM category for Pianos, I press the Factory tab, and select one of those nice pianos. Exit. Now I select the Bass patch to change, it puts me in the GM group for Bass, I select the Factory tab, and the keyboard goes back to Pianos. So now I have to select the Bass category to see the Factory basses that I want to use. Exit. Now I go to a Strings track, select the patch, starts in GM Strings, press the Factory tab, and it goes back to the Bass category. I have to navigate over to the Strings category.

That behavior seems odd to me. Since I'm in Strings, you think it would stay in the Strings patches, regardless if I press Factory, Legacy, or GM tabs. But to me, it appears to be remembering the last patch group I used and goes back to that one when I press the Factory tab.

Does anybody know how Korg wants to see "chord data" in midi files? Okay, so I load a midi file that I exported off my WK8, and it shows both lyrics and chords.....no problem. But if I open that same midi file in Sonar X1, make a change or two to the lyrics, save the file and load the new file into the Korg, the chord data is gone. There are markers there and you can see the data on the Markers screen, but no chord data in lyrics. Did Sonar do something to the chord data in the file when it was saved and the PA900 isn't digging it? Chord data in Sonar show up as markers.
Let me put it this way, that same file that came out of the WK8 and loaded into the PA900 that DOES show chord data....if you go to the Markers screen, there's nothing there....no markers.
So that's why I'm asking what is Korg looking for in a midi file that shows up as chord data on the Lyrics page?

But hey, really digging this keyboard. Some of these midis that are now using the new Korg instruments and effects sound truly amazing!

Thanks for any help and insight.

-mike
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about Sonar but I use a shareware midi program (GN Midi) that gives the option to guess chords and save chord data as Wordbox Sysex and it displays the chords and lyrics fine. I usually choose the Text option however as it displays the chords more compactly in the same line as the lyrics rather than above them. Depending on how the midi was constructed sometimes I need to choose the Lyrics option to have the chords displayed correctly. Any editing of the lyrics or chords has not caused any problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa900/Pa3X Le All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: