Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

comparison Korg Pa900 vs Pa3x

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa900/Pa3X Le
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adimatis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: comparison Korg Pa900 vs Pa3x Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRBbC59M_3s

Opinions now...?
PraiseTheLord

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed this comparison. I thought both were very good, but I would give the edge to Pa3X for clarity of the sound. Not enough though to persuade me to pay twice the price, and have to accept a heavier load and no built in speakers.

I wonder if you could set up the pa900 EQ to improve it, or does the MAXX system create the difference?

Anyway, good find, thanks for posting, just what we wanted!
BillyHank

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, I think both have good sounds, some better on one and the some better on the other. Depends on what you are looking for in a sound I guess.

Yes I have been playing with the master EQ and find it can definitely be improved on the out of box setting and you can store a number of variations for different situations and they are quickly accessed.

This is my first Korg keyboard and I am very impressed with the Pa900.
I may even upgrade to the Pa3x replacement when it comes out and by that time I hope to have mastered this one. Shocked

One of the ways to adjust the EQ that works well for me is to play an MP3 of very good quality through it and adjust wile it is playing. When you get good response across the spectrum with the best clarity, save it.

Bill G
adimatis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the EQ was on on the Pa3x. Anyway, the difference between the two is obvious, but I think Pa900 is not far behind at all and in a live setting very little difference indeed. The studio work might make a difference, but close enough.
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adimatis wrote:
I thought the EQ was on on the Pa3x. Anyway, the difference between the two is obvious, but I think Pa900 is not far behind at all and in a live setting very little difference indeed. The studio work might make a difference, but close enough.

I frankly couldn't hear much difference when just listening to the audio with no video to bias my opinion. They sound very similar allowing for differences in EQ and Effects setup. They both sound very good!

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adimatis wrote:

If Maxx EQ is turned off in both keyboards , there is no the slightest difference between them at those sounds !
Both keyboards share the same DAC module and Pa900 contains the exact 90 % of Pa3X factory waveforms.
Therefore further comparison than a laboratory spectrum analyzer tends to be silly !
Concentrate on essential differences that make Pa3X the flagship , beginning from Keybed , since only
using the same external midi keyboard this comparison could have a meaning !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:

If Maxx EQ is turned off in both keyboards , there is no the slightest difference between them at those sounds !
Both keyboards share the same DAC module and Pa900 contains the exact 90 % of Pa3X factory waveform.

Hi,

may I ask you where did you find the bit of information referring to the digital/analog converters being the same?
Also, to my knowledge only the Pa3X has the MaxxAudio plugin.
Thanks.
adimatis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ițve heard the same about the DAC, but not proven document or something. As for MAXX, it is only in Pa3x, but truth is the difference between MAXX eq and any regular master eq I don't think is tremendous.

What I also noticed is that the stereo image and depth is more pronunciated in Pa3x. Different effects? Different settings?

I would've like to see a comparison for harmonizers too...
BillyHank

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my first experience with any Korg product and unfortunately my situation is all too common in the USA, we just do not have access to music stores within a couple hundred miles that stock arranger keyboards from any manufacturer. So we must purchase before we can lay hands on and this makes buying decisions very difficult in deed.

I looked at all the videos, including this comparison video, downloaded both owners manuals and compared the specs. I could afford either keyboard and that was not one of my factors to consider. My experience with arrangers has been with Yamaha only, owning 3 Tyros models along with several PSR's including the latest PSR-S950. Now in my opinion, no one can factually argue that Yamaha does not sound good compared to Korg and the other way around too. They are all really wonderful compared to what has gone before. But - what convinced me to move to Korg was the way Korg implemented their operating system with the touch screen - it is BRILLIANT!

Within the first week of ownership, I modified a style and saved it, recorded a MIDI song and saved it, made my own sound using the internal sounds and saved that too, and then I loaded a sound from another source and then modified that sound and then I recorded an MP3 song, doing all this on the keyboard without need for PC's or any other external help. I'm 80 years old - you kids should find this keyboard to be a piece of cake and more fun than sex, well maybe not that good, my memory isn't that bad yet, but you get my drift I hope.

Don't worry about which one sounds best, your going to be surprised and delighted no matter which one you get.

Bill G
adimatis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

I admire your young spirit and I believe it's extraordinary that you will try new things like these keyboards, with success, as you just described it!

And you are right - there's no bad arrangers these days, just different.

All the best!

Adi
BillyHank

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Adi and all the best to you also - Bill G
Fransman
Platinum Member

Location: Netherlands (PA4X61+PAas. Past: PA3X, PA800, Y PSR-S910, PA500, T KN1000, Y PSR-16)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillyHank wrote:

I'm 80 years old - you kids should find this keyboard to be a piece of cake and more fun than sex, well maybe not that good, my memory isn't that bad yet, but you get my drift I hope.

I just couldn't stop laughing when I read your comments.
So refreshing and full of energy, respect!

You made my day.
Very Happy

Play in style. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa900/Pa3X Le All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: