Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I get the effects from programs to match in sequencer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HowardK

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: How do I get the effects from programs to match in sequencer Reply with quote

Hello, I noticed (and years ago on my LE at the time) that when in the Sequencer the IFX MFX chain differs from being in program mode.

Example, Sound A45 (a Rhodes) has effects that are not present when in the sequencer mode. Is there a way to copy them over?
alexdx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is possible. See the manual or search the forum.
Past gear: M50 - my honey; microX - replacement for my X50 (like sound module controlled from M50); X50 - lightweight and powerful; KORG AX 3G - small and well
Dan Stesco
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open the menu from upper side of touch screen in seq mod.
Press "Copy from Program" confirm with Ifx, Mfx, Tfx...
jnaut

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar question that the OP didn't seem to specify but is along these same lines.

I've been searching the web, watching videos and reading the manual, and I can't yet seem to get my head around the IFX chain when in the sequencer with multiple instruments.

Can you get multiple instruments to have their original program IFX chain in the sequencer, at the same time?

Example: Choose an typical keyboard synth, add it into the sequencer with all of its IFX... it sounds like it does in program mode.

Now add Screaming Tube Guitar on track two. It no longer has its IFX (set to L/R). If I load its IFX chain, it overrides seq track 1 and then track 1 no longer sounds like the synth you chose.

It seems like I can only have one IFX chain for one instrument-- since some instruments only sound like they sound in Program mode because of their IFX chain, they're essentially no longer the same instrument once in sequencer mode.

Any tips appreciated.

**update** Whelp I continued to dig and I found this post:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=82202&highlight=krome+ifx+sequencer

So my suspicions are confirmed, it can't be done.

I'm a bit disappointed that I can't mix any instruments into the sequencer or combi and have them sound like they when I pick them in program mode.

Is there some good DAW software that people would recommend to use in conjunction with the Krome so I can layer up instruments as they sound in program mode for a final composition?

Last edited by jnaut on Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really can't have multiple instruments with their original effect chains. If you're only using a few instruments with few effects you can get the same result by copying the effects into different slots and rerouting things.

Beyond that its up to you to mix and match available effects and slots. You can often use one effect for a reasonable substitute for another but not always. It takes a bit of work and patience at times.
jnaut

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bald Eagle wrote:
You really can't have multiple instruments with their original effect chains. If you're only using a few instruments with few effects you can get the same result by copying the effects into different slots and rerouting things.

Beyond that its up to you to mix and match available effects and slots. You can often use one effect for a reasonable substitute for another but not always. It takes a bit of work and patience at times.

Thanks for the quick reply, Eagle. I updated my post above where I found a post saying essentially what you're saying.

It looks like to do real final recording and composition, I'll need a DAW. I'm not knowledgeable about DAWs at all. Is there anything you recommend, software/PC based etc?
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnaut wrote:
Bald Eagle wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply, Eagle. I updated my post above where I found a post saying essentially what you're saying.

It looks like to do real final recording and composition, I'll need a DAW. I'm not knowledgeable about DAWs at all. Is there anything you recommend, software/PC based etc?

I use Sonar X2 Producer. They have other cheaper versions to get started with and you can upgrade later. There are a few other popular ones. Everyone has their own personal preference and all have their strengths and weaknesses. I think you can get Sonar Esentials from Sweetwater for $49.00 right now.
jnaut

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bald Eagle wrote:

I use Sonar X2 Producer. They have other cheaper versions to get started with and you can upgrade later. There are a few other popular ones. Everyone has their own personal preference and all have their strengths and weaknesses. I think you can get Sonar Esentials from Sweetwater for $49.00 right now.

Thanks for the tip. That's a good price to start at-- especially after I just dropped $1,599 for the keyboard, I'm not looking to put in another $500... yet.

Dumb question (again, really new to this), how do the inputs work from the keyboard? Do you need an expensive sound card or can you use a 3.5mm mini from the headphone jack on the kb to the input on a standard soundcard?
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it works the sound quality will probably not be the best. I would go for a low cost USB audio interface. There are many to choose from. This one is a decent 2 channel interface.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlett2i2/

This will do fine if you only need 2 channels at a time going into the DAW. Note that it doesn't limit the number of tracks you can have in your DAW. You just record multiple takes into different tracks.

If you need more channels do a bit of research because there are many things to consider when you start looking at higher end audio interfaces.
jnaut

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bald Eagle wrote:
If it works the sound quality will probably not be the best. I would go for a low cost USB audio interface. There are many to choose from. This one is a decent 2 channel interface.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlett2i2/

This will do fine if you only need 2 channels at a time going into the DAW. Note that it doesn't limit the number of tracks you can have in your DAW. You just record multiple takes into different tracks.

If you need more channels do a bit of research because there are many things to consider when you start looking at higher end audio interfaces.

Thanks for getting me started. You've been a huge help. I think I'm beginning to wrap my head around this a bit.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to make sure - it depends somewhat on the programs, but you sure can copy the fx from program mode to seq mode. You just have to make to with a fixed number of slots. Sometimes this means you can't fit ALL the fx - but you'll probably be able to fit most essential ones with clever routing. Like, your distorted guitar with chorus and reverb and delay will probably sound fine in the mix with just its distortion and some delay from a shared mfx slot. The Korg fx routing system is really powerful once you get your head around how it works.

I would recommend Sonar Studio over Essentials btw. Studio has virtually ALL functionality of Producer, just minus a lot of fx plugins. It retains many really important and useful features, such as take lanes, V-Vocal, automation control, unlimited track count etc.
jnaut

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
Just to make sure - it depends somewhat on the programs, but you sure can copy the fx from program mode to seq mode. You just have to make to with a fixed number of slots. Sometimes this means you can't fit ALL the fx - but you'll probably be able to fit most essential ones with clever routing. Like, your distorted guitar with chorus and reverb and delay will probably sound fine in the mix with just its distortion and some delay from a shared mfx slot. The Korg fx routing system is really powerful once you get your head around how it works.

I would recommend Sonar Studio over Essentials btw. Studio has virtually ALL functionality of Producer, just minus a lot of fx plugins. It retains many really important and useful features, such as take lanes, V-Vocal, automation control, unlimited track count etc.

Here's my problem. I have an understanding of music (in the big picture), styles etc, but I have really no experience with MIDI sequencing, modern studio production recording etc. I hear a sound or combination of sounds I want, but I don't know how to achieve it.

The first thing I ran smack-dab into with the Krome was this IFX slot limitation. I do believe that when I understand it better, it'll be fine for 80% of what I want to do.

But I do find that there are some instruments in the Korg that really are the insert effects. That Screaming Tube guitar becomes 1987 Casio Nylon Guitar without the effects.

Make no mistake, I'm really excited about the Korg, but I can see that if you want to do final song production, the built-in sequencer may not fully cut it. I was hoping it would.

I've definitely got some experimenting to do. And I appreciate the help I'm getting on this forum.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but I'm saying not all the fx are equally essential for each sound. You may have a distortion, a chorus, reverb and delay on your guitar but the distortion will really be the fundamental one. By understanding fx routing, you can have the phaser from a Rhodes, the leslie from an organ, the distortion from a guitar, the compressor from a drumkit and a general delay and reverb on all of them to specified amounts, all at the same time, in the sequencer. Just because you can copy one whole chain at the same time doesn't mean you should. Your previous LE was different in this respect - it had only one ifx slot. You could either use it or not. The Krome has five ifx slots. And two mfx slots. Some programs may use all five but they won't all five be essential to the sound you're going for. Some will only use two, or one. You still have five slots (plus two mfx) available in seq mode, so understanding which fx to copy and how to route your timbres to them is really the most important thing in this. You can indeed only use "copy from program" once. But you can use "copy ifx" multiple times in the ifx screen. And you can delete and rearrange fx.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a good idea to try routing your effects as SanderXpander has said. But at some point you will likely run out of slots for essential effects. That's when you have to turn to the DAW and record multiple tracks one at a time using the original programs/combi's.

Personally I try to get as much into a single combi/sequence as possible because for me it streamlines the workflow since I don't have to change programs as much.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I will admit for more serious production and sequencing a DAW like Sonar Studio kicks the ass of any workstation's on-board recorder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: