Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

major problem with SMKII

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: major problem with SMKII Reply with quote

well here goes

I just purchased a used electribe smk2 and the problem im running into is ive been messing around it for a few days now and have found that I can do absolutely nothing with it

I searched youtube for tutorial and there were none, I also read the owner's manual, which really didn't have anything meaningful to say

im trying to find out how to make it function in the most basic way and im at a loss. I don't intend to use any preset loops or patterns, what I want to do is record patterns, which I can't find anything about, even in the manual

I like the drum samples in the sample bank, but I cant find a way to actually use those samples, say for instance to program a certain pad or "part" to play that sample when I push it

I also don't see any way to actually program or sequence a pattern, it will only allow to play presets , and pushing the record or write button does nothing so far

essentially what I need is a rundown of the most obvious basics of how to use the electribe because trial and error has gotten me nowhere and I can't find any information on it anywhere , if any one can help a total newb here it'd be greatly appreciated. also, pictures would probably help in addition to plain text.

cheers!
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: major problem with SMKII Reply with quote

alexy wrote:
well here goes

I just purchased a used electribe smk2

First things first, which electribe do you have ? There is no smk2. I'm guessing here you have the emx1, a red electribe with 2 tube valves in it. Is that right ?
Once we know what you have then maybe some help can follow. Question
sohatyi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he means ES1 MK2.

I'd suggest downloading and reading the manual.
Novation: UltraNova, Nova
Yamaha: RM1X, CS2X, DX11, DX Reface, YC Reface
Other: Zoom R24, Quasimidi 309, Beat Thang, Akai MPC1000 and a couple of Omnichords
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aahhh !, Of course.
alexy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, the es1 mkii I believe. not the one with tubes.

I read the manual and it didn't mention anything about recording patterns or using samples Crying or Very sad

its in full working order but I don't understand the functionality of the machine, ive been desperately pushing buttons on this thing for three days and it wont do anything but light up the buttons red
sohatyi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't own an es1, but electribes work broadly the same. Select a part (one of the bank of 9 keys to the right of the unit). The pattern steps will light up for that part illuminate them to play a step. Use the left and right arrows near the bottom left to select which bar you are editing.

Press the sample button near the top left to be able to change which sample is loaded into a part.
Novation: UltraNova, Nova
Yamaha: RM1X, CS2X, DX11, DX Reface, YC Reface
Other: Zoom R24, Quasimidi 309, Beat Thang, Akai MPC1000 and a couple of Omnichords
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. They all work in the same kinda way. I don't have the es1 but i do have an esx1...same but different !

alexy, if you're a total newbe to synths & production gear then you need to know what you have there. Here's a general idea, the rest will be up to you & all in the user book..

...The general idea with the electribes is as follows. There is 'PATTERN MODE' & there is 'SONG MODE'. You can create patterns in pattern mode & then in song mode you can string them/chain them together & create a full 'song' .
In patten mode you can create a pattern between 1 & 4 measures long with your machine. A measure is a count of 1 - 4 & a metronome may be switched on if required to assist with getting started on a pattern (The metronome is found in the global menu. Select global & cursor down to it)
Start by selecting a pattern & then a 'part' number (No's 1 - 7b) . Clear the part by holding down 'shift' & pressing button 7 to clear that part. If you repeat the same thing for each 'part' then you will have cleared the entire pattern & will have a blank canvass to start from scratch. DON'T FORGET WHEN YOU HAVE PERFORMED A TASK TO THEN USE THE 'WRITE' FUNCTION BEFORE POWERING OFF OR SELECTING A DIFFERENT PATTERN. Press 'write' & then it will flash, press it again. Your pattern is saved to your last edit point.

Select say, part 1. Edit the sound of that part with the common section (That's where all the knobs are) & place the part in the sequence by switching on any of the 16 step buttons along the bottom, as many of as few as you like. Just press the numbered buttons to switch 'em on or off. E.G, if it's a kick drum & you select position numbers 1, 5, 9, 13, when you press 'play' you will hear a 4x4 kick drum beat. You can change that sample by using the big rotary dial but make sure you are in 'part edit' mode rather than 'pattern' or you will unintentionally change to another pattern.

Once you have mastered the process of programming 1 part, the rest will become more obvious. It's not totally that simple because there are other more in depth settings too but really you have to learn to walk before you can run. There are things like tempo setting, swing setting, roll type, motion sequence & so on but really you need to just get a kick-start & then refer to the manual. Enlightenment will follow & don't be impatient if you are a beginner because everyone has to start somewhere.

Hopefully that's enough info to just get you moving.
ChronLogic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: major problem with SMKII Reply with quote

alexy wrote:
well here goes

I just purchased a used electribe smk2 and the problem im running into is ive been messing around it for a few days now and have found that I can do absolutely nothing with it

I searched youtube for tutorial and there were none, I also read the owner's manual, which really didn't have anything meaningful to say

im trying to find out how to make it function in the most basic way and im at a loss. I don't intend to use any preset loops or patterns, what I want to do is record patterns, which I can't find anything about, even in the manual

I like the drum samples in the sample bank, but I cant find a way to actually use those samples, say for instance to program a certain pad or "part" to play that sample when I push it

I also don't see any way to actually program or sequence a pattern, it will only allow to play presets , and pushing the record or write button does nothing so far

essentially what I need is a rundown of the most obvious basics of how to use the electribe because trial and error has gotten me nowhere and I can't find any information on it anywhere , if any one can help a total newb here it'd be greatly appreciated. also, pictures would probably help in addition to plain text.

cheers!

I've made a video tutorial of how to use the Korg Electribe SMK2 and creating an actual project with it. The journey begins here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLM3_qbHVhZVJzqa42gPNlFbhwHGwgUW1d
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: