Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA 600 tutorials
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joecheriross

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: PA 600 tutorials Reply with quote

Hi,

I am new to PA 600. Is there any tutorial(video/pdf) available for higher level functionality. I couldn't find many in youtube.

Ex:
1. How to change STS settings
2. How to edit a sound and add it to users
3. How to create a style
4. How to load an external sound/style

Thanks,
Joe
Fransman
Platinum Member

Location: Netherlands (PA4X61+PAas. Past: PA3X, PA800, Y PSR-S910, PA500, T KN1000, Y PSR-16)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe,

I don't mean to be rude, but your questions are quite well explained in the manuals.
(for sound edit you'll need the advanced manual).

Also, there are some good tutorials on www.korgpa.com and youtube.
Have a look at the latest tutorials for PA900; the OS is almost identical to PA600.
I've seen a tutorial on style creating (Steve McNally; one of Korg's great demonstrators).

STS-settings can be changed by pressing Shift-STS 1, 2, etc. (If your factory style protect is turned OFF (media button)).
But I would recommend not to change the factory styles STS's, but use the SongBook to do so.

Good luck!
Very Happy

Play in style. Wink
joecheriross

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fransman,

you were not being rude Smile . I saw many of these topics in manual. But not well explained. You mentioned "but use the SongBook to do so" which is not there in manual. When I found that factory setting cannot be changed, I was not sure how to proceed.

There are many topics discussed in manual, but not all the cases are explained well.

Regards,
Joe
gerr60

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree with you Joe, the questions are only easy if you know the answers, there are over 300 pages in the online manual and many of the topics are complicated and to the newcomer hard to understand.
joecheriross

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially for someone like me who has played only on Yamaha PSR keyboards.
charlie67

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To see a video on Songbook, go to youtube: Korg PA600 video Manual - Part 5: Songbook. In this series there are about 6 or 7 videos explaining the PA600.
charlie67

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, there are two different PDF manuals, not just one. There is a reference guide and a quick guide. Both available from KORGPA.COM
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=84688
Joe, scroll down to the last few posts in the above thread. You'll find a lot of answers in there. Good luck!
advid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="joecheriross"]Hi Fransman,

you were not being rude Smile . I saw many of these topics in manual. But not well explained. You mentioned "but use the SongBook to do so" which is not there in manual. When I found that factory setting cannot be changed, I was not sure how to proceed.

There are many topics discussed in manual, but not all the cases are explained well.

Regards,
Joe[/quote]

..have to agree with you..i tried a pa900 after having used three yams over the years..lots of things didn't do what the manual simply told me it should..gave up ..sent it back and now contemplating a psr s 950..
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

advid wrote:
joecheriross wrote:
Hi Fransman,

Regards,
Joe

..have to agree with you..i tried a pa900 after having used three yams over the years..lots of things didn't do what the manual simply told me it should..gave up ..sent it back and now contemplating a psr s 950..

I tend to agree that things are a lot simpler with the Yammys, but they simply do not have the depth of programmability that the KORG PAs have. To get the most out of your KORG arranger you do have to invest some time in a thorough read of the manuals and ask questions here on Korg Forums. Some folks just can not commit to that.

After 4 years with my PAs I'm still learning new things. My current project is improving my skills in manually converting Yamaha MultiPads & Styles to Korg. Tons of fun! Wink

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
advid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....i'm still contemplating changing my old Yamaha PSR3000 for something 'newer' / 'better !
Pa900 or Yam s950... can't decide..
BUT ...as has been mentioned earlier in this topic...a Yamaha is probably a bit easier to 'plug and play'....
I've been playing for over fourty years..all sorts of music..all styles..and also play guitar,tenor sax and flute...
I'm retired now and dont do many gigs.. all i want to do is play what i want, when i want at home..
i know the Korgs are 'infinitely' adjustable with far more control over just about everything when compared to the Yamahas BUT.. at my time of life every minute is valuable...to spend many hours twiddling and messing just to change this or modify that is far too time consuming..i want to play music..not impress the crowds with how realistic my new saxaphone or synth sounds on my keyboard after tweaking for many hours...
Sorry..but that's just my opinion..
That's why i'm still thinking long and hard if i buy a Korg...i fear i'll have too steep a learning curve...but i do think there's something really good about the styles and sounds when compared to the same old Yam stuff..
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

advid wrote:
....i'm still contemplating changing my old Yamaha PSR3000 for something 'newer' / 'better !
Pa900 or Yam s950... can't decide..
BUT ...as has been mentioned earlier in this topic...a Yamaha is probably a bit easier to 'plug and play'....
I've been playing for over fourty years..all sorts of music..all styles..and also play guitar,tenor sax and flute...
I'm retired now and dont do many gigs.. all i want to do is play what i want, when i want at home..
i know the Korgs are 'infinitely' adjustable with far more control over just about everything when compared to the Yamahas BUT.. at my time of life every minute is valuable...to spend many hours twiddling and messing just to change this or modify that is far too time consuming..i want to play music..not impress the crowds with how realistic my new saxaphone or synth sounds on my keyboard after tweaking for many hours...
Sorry..but that's just my opinion..
That's why i'm still thinking long and hard if i buy a Korg...i fear i'll have too steep a learning curve...but i do think there's something really good about the styles and sounds when compared to the same old Yam stuff..

Well, the KORGs play just fine 'out-of-the-box'. I'm sure there a a lot of gigging pros out there that have never 'looked under the hood' of their PAxxx

Your real friend with the Korg PA keyboards is SONGBOOK. It is fairly trivial to build a custom list of 'Registrations' for your repertoire. You'll find a bunch of guys here on the Korg forums willing to help you with step by step instructions if you need them.

By the way, I'm 70, retired and am having a ball with my Korgs Wink

Johann Sebastian Bach

Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
gerr60

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Korg pa600 Reply with quote

Rick, are you saying for example if I select an internal or external style for a certain song, add a suitable sound, can I name and save this to the song book, if so and if you can explain how in simple to understand English how I do this you will be my friend for life.

Gerry.
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg pa600 Reply with quote

gerr60 wrote:
Rick, are you saying for example if I select an internal or external style for a certain song, add a suitable sound, can I name and save this to the song book, if so and if you can explain how in simple to understand English how I do this you will be my friend for life.

Gerry.

Sure.

1. Go to the Style Play or Song Play mode, depending on the type of entry you want to add to the SongBook database.

2. Select the Style, Standard MIDI File or MP3 file to be added to the SongBook.

3. Edit Keyboard and Style tracks as you prefer, by selecting different Sounds and Effects, or editing any other parameter.
Please note that changes to Standard MIDI File’s tracks will not be saved as SongBook data. Only data included in the Standard MIDI File will be used.

4. When your entry is ready, press the SONGBOOK button, then the Book Edit 1 tab to see the Book Edit 1 page and link a Musical Resource to the SongBook entry.

5. Touch the New Song button in the display to add a new item to the SongBook list.

6. When done with this page, press the Book Edit 2 tab to see the Book Edit 2 page and edit the SongBook database details.

7. Touch the (Text Edit) button next to the field(s) you want to edit. Set all the other parameters.
Note: The Master Transpose can not be changed if a Lock is preventing it. See Global > General Controls > Locks.
You can write the Genre and Artist name. If you are saving a single STS, you can give it a name (this is not possible if you are saving all STSs). Select a Tempo matching the Song’s Tempo, and select the Meter (Time Signature) and Key of the Song. You can also specify a Master Transpose
value, to be automatically set when selecting the entry.

8. When done with this page, touch the tab to go to the Book Edit 3 page, where you can and set the Synchro and Memory parameters, and link a text file to the entry.

9. After having filled up all the desired fields (be as comprehensive as you can), touch the Write button in the display to open the Write dialog box.

10. Touch the T (Text Edit) button to assign a name to the new entry, then touch OK then YES to save the entry to the SongBook database.

You can find this information with illustrations on page 70 and 71 of the

English PA600 Quick Guide Manual

Johann Sebastian Bach

Jackuar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was useful to me as well Rick. Thanks.

A quick question. How many song book entries can I keep saved at a time? I wish I could have upto 5000 because that would really take care of 99% of my songs but if not, is there a way to get this storage increased?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa600/Pa300 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: