Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MonoPoly on Kronos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This discussion is about the benefit of a Mono-Poly as possible Kronos-engine.

I think arguing about the differences of the legacy software and the Kronos versions doesn't help much in this context. I can only say I like the MonoPoly in the leagcy version and would welcome a Kronos version a lot. The real MonoPoly had no Moog sound, but had it's own well working 24db filter and was a very well useable synth for bass and lead sounds with a somewhat raw sonic power. And it had much more sonic flexibility than the Mini. Having it on the Kronos would mean: classic flexible 4 osc layout, covering bass and lead sounds in a more convenient and convincing way from my view than the present Kronos alternatives.

Maybe its a matter of taste and layout, but I would certainly enjoy a Kronos MonoPoly a lot, and pay any reasonable price for it.

Last edited by jimknopf on Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would pay for it on the kronos thats for sure.

I use the plugin loads.
Gambler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, what does MonoPoly have that isn't achievable with Polysix or AL-1?
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically, the sound of the MonoPoly was based on the same family of chips as the Polysix and both have some common ground. But they had completely different layouts: the Polysix built around one six-voice VCO and a common filter design to offer the most affordable programmable polysynth of it's time. The MonoPoly was a kind of extended Monosynth with four VCOs used monophonic or polyphonic, and a lot of routing options the Polysix didn't have.
On a Kronos, you could use several Polysix engines to get this kind of VCO flexibility, but of course this would not replace the unified surface and routing options of the MonoPoly. If you listen to the MonoPoly legacy version and check the presets, you will notice that all in all they deliver quite different kinds of sounds compared with the Polysix, despite some common character.
The AL-1 again has a different basic sound character (yes I know you have a lot of sound shaping options there) and a UI which I (and I know enough others) don't like to use too much. For everyday use, the MonoPoly could perhaps be a kind of much more frequently used AL-1: a nice, basically analog souinding compromise between flexibility and direct access.

It does not only provide classical bass and lead sounds, but is very capable to deliver modern electronica sounds as well, as this soundset demo shows:
https://soundcloud.com/app-sound/korg-monopoly-ikaossilator/s-Xxqbx
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was curious about this synth. It has some very interesting sounds:

Yeah, I know:
Shocked

Not sure if I would choose this synth over others given the choice. But the interface has the same style as the polysix thought; and that one would sure fit nicely in the Kronos.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad there isn't an app for the iPad yet. I'd be all over it.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
markn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUMP

Thanks collegues for your contribution so far.
But i guess we'll need a lot more opinions to convince KORG...
neomad

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markn wrote:
BUMP

Thanks collegues for your contribution so far.
But i guess we'll need a lot more opinions to convince KORG...

We can always start a petition... (friendly of course)
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id be up for that. Where do I sign? Friendly-like of course!
I'd even be okay with an iPad app.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
markn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've signed already Smile

This tread IS the petition. We know, KORG is reading...
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, sorry to revive this thread.

So, Korg... Monopoly is available as a Reason Rack Extension for $49.

PLEASE can we have it for the Kronos?

I'll pay...lots! Smile
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes - I would love this too.. Or at least something more portable than the Legacy Collection on a laptop. I could live with an Ipad app if I could play it from the Kronos. But integrated would definitely be much cooler.

Either way, I'd pay.
::: Korg Kronos 88 ::: Alesis Fusion 8HD ::: Kurzweil PC361 ::: Roland V-Synth ::: DSI Prophet 12 ::: DSI OB-6 ::: Korg Prophecy ::: Moog Micromoog ::: Yamaha CP-30 ::: Alesis Andromeda ::: Moog Sub37 ::: Sequential Prophet 600 ::: Korg MS2000BR ::: GSI Burn :::

My Music
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be fine with it for both Kronos and iPad. I'm going to the cottage for 2 weeks tomorrow and my Kronos stays here at home. The iPad is more portable.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monopoly clips and songs I have heard sounds pretty cool, but depending on cost, I would much rather pay for hardware upgrades to the Kronos, new mobo supporting 64bit.. external touch screen support... etc....
I haven't figured out how to use everything that is already in Kronos so I might be a bit behind the curve when it comes to wanting more engines in the Kronos.
fuse

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondered anyone hasn't mentioned the Oddesy remake yet.

When Korg is finished with that I would suggest creating multisamples of it for Korg users. It will help the sales a lot because people can listen to it an decide if they want to get the hardware.

Strange enough emulation plugins or sample packs always boost the sale of hardware. (I ended up with a Massive Passive that way.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: