Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you sync the Volcas?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsrockit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: How do you sync the Volcas? Reply with quote

I'm trying to sync my Volcas together using the sync in and out and I can't seem to get it to work. I've only used Midi in the past, so analog syncing is new to me. The manual seems thin in this regard... making it seem as simple as running the sync out of one machine to the sync out of the next machine. However, when I do this, it doesn't sync.

Right now I have the sync out of the Beats connected to the sync in of the Bass. Hitting play on the Beats does not start the Bass. What am I doing wrong and thanks for your help.
Jared777

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

It sounds like you've got them hooked up correctly but I don't think the Volcas are meant to work that way. You will have to push play on both the beats and bass at the same time to have them playing in sync.
robosardine
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you need to press play on both at the same time- or pressing play on the second as the first ends it's cycle. It's just the timing that's in sync- not the start signal. Don't worry- it's easy and they will stay perfectly together- its actually better than having midi if you only want to sync the Volcas/ Monotribes to each other.
jsrockit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I see what you mean. Works fine. Thanks again.
1_inch_punch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some success last night syncing to my ZOOM R8 recorder - copied the sync out sound from my Volca

- sliced it to a single pulse in audacity - imported the slice back into the R8 track sequencer as a sample - laid that sample across 8ths for as long as I wanted the track.

There is a trick you can do with the R8 - you record/bounce out that sequenced sample..

then import sound file that to the dedicated metronome track of the R8.....

..that gets sent to the Volca via the headphone out - you can record Volca in sync to the R8 and perform multi tracks recording over the top - or sync to any sound files you may wish import to the R8.

Pretty sure it will work with the big brother R24 to0.
chris-korg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do have a sync-solution that works:

midi-clock and start/stop is comming from midipal (mutable-instruments)
midi-output of midipal goes to midi-in of a doepfer msy2-converter
from there it goes via sync-cable into sync-in of volca or monotribe
connect other volcas or monotribe via sync (chain)
press the play bottom of all volcas or monotribes (they will not start)
press "run on" on the midipal
all volcas / monotribes will start and run in sync
press "run off" on the midipal
everything stops

yes, it is rather complicated but it works....
pmboos

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Thanks for this! Reply with quote

I have been thinking of getting a Volca Sample and FM and wondered if I started one with MIDI how the other would get started. Nice to know how that would work...

(Wish Volcas had MIDI Thrus as well, I can understand why they don't due to space, but still can wish...)

Cheers,
Paul

DW-6000, DVP-1 are my bread and butter.
Pigdog

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: volca sync Reply with quote

pardon my ignorance. im a novice. but, how do you sync the volcas with midi?
Weirdofromouterspace

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: volca sync Reply with quote

Pigdog wrote:
pardon my ignorance. im a novice. but, how do you sync the volcas with midi?

MIDI clock source (in my case: E-RM Midiclock) to Volca Beats Midi In, Volca Beats Sync Out to Volca Bass Sync In. That's all.

You could also distribute the clock signal (e.g. by using a Kenton Midi Thru) and go to the Midi Ins from there, but I'd only do that with more than three Volcas (for instance 2 and 2, if you own four of them) as to avoid too long daisy chains.
Kawai: K1
Roland: JX-03
DIY: MFOS Sound Lab Mini Synth Plus | MFOS Sound Lab Ultimate & Expander | MFOS 12-Band Vocoder | TTSH | Jasper | ARP 1601 Sequencer
supermel74

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MIDIthru4?adpos=1o2&creative=55226096281&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&product_id=MIDIthru4&gclid=CMPKnMqJiNECFYKBaQodpYkC-Q
pmboos

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: OK, what about reverse.... Reply with quote

So what would people's recommendations to go from a Volca sync to MIDI clock? (preferably with a start/stop signal, but I realize that may not be possible)
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: OK, what about reverse.... Reply with quote

pmboos wrote:
So what would people's recommendations to go from a Volca sync to MIDI clock? (preferably with a start/stop signal, but I realize that may not be possible)

There are quite a few analogue sync to MIDI clock converter that go from being simple pulse converters to comprehensive synchronisation code converters and timing synchronisers.
I'd suggest going to eBay and doing a search for "MIDI sync" in musical instruments. You should get a result for an eBay store named Touchprone. Check out what is in there.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
LM

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the MIDI Out mod on all my Volcas, so I can choose any one of them to be the master clock (usually the Beats), with MIDI sync going from its MIDI Out to a Thru box and then to the other Volcas' MIDI In.

I just press start on the Beats and all the others follow along accordingly.
pmboos

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick replies... I think I saw your mod LM either in a different post on this forum or a different forum. I'm a bit worried about modifying my Volcas and I also will be getting a mounting rack of these when I get my Vixen Mixer.

The actual sync signal I am hoping to change to MIDI is the one coming from my MiniJam Studio. I already split the sync from the audio signal.

Separate question that I realized also as I noodle on options in my head, if I further divided that signal say with a standard splitting cable so I could keep the lag time low (i.e. reduce the daisy chaining), would I start getting too much of a voltage drop?

Cheers,
Paul
LM

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mod is based on one that I saw a while ago in a link from this same forum, which does not require any drilling on the case, or taking the Volca apart (other than just opening the back/bottom piece).

https://123fixblog.wordpress.com/2017/06/30/volca-fm/

I fixed the missing ground line on that mod's MIDI Out by grabbing it from the Volca's MIDI jack shield in the adapter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: