Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello and a few Korg newbie questions!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa900/Pa3X Le
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiplet

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Hello and a few Korg newbie questions! Reply with quote

Hi all

So I currently play a Yamaha Tyros 2 and I'm strongly considering the Pa900. I've never had a Korg before so I would appreciate a bit of info from the experts!

1. As an ex organ player I currently use a set of midi bass pedals with the Yamaha, it allows me to play the bass note from the style auto accompaniment on the pedals 'organ-style'. Does the PA900 offer the same feature?

2. Does the PA900 offer a feature similar to the Yamaha 'registration memory'? ie save the panel setup for easy recall during a song?

Thanks in advance!
PraiseTheLord

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Chiplet, I think you will love the Korg Pa900. I am sure you can use pedals using the midi inputs just like Yamaha, but I'll defer to others to confirm that.

There was a good discussion on the forum recently on registrations, see:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=559679#559679
Chiplet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graham

Thanks for that excellent info, it looks like the 'songbook registration' may do the equivalent of the Yamaha's registration memory.. the info on the link is for the PA2X - is the PA900 basically the same OS?

Yes if anyone can elaborate on being able to use midi bass pedals to control the bass note of the style that would be great as that's critical to me getting a PA900! Very Happy

Dave
PraiseTheLord

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Pa900 OS is similar to Pa2X. For more info on Songbook see p295 of the User Manual. There is a link to many great resources in the thread just above this one.
BillyHank

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chiplet,

Welcome to the forum from me too. Very Happy

I second Graham's mention of the song Book being similar to Yamaha's registrations only it is much better IMHO.

You do loose the 8 buttons for a single song however and that could be a problem if you use the Yamaha registrations in that manner. There could be a work around, but I have not yet explored that possibility.

I don't know about using organ style foot pedals, but I would be very surprised if you couldn't as many folks do use them.

The Pa900 is more like the Pa3X I believe than the Pa2X and the Owners Manual are nearly identical for them as well - except that all of the information is combined in a single manual for the Pa900 instead of the two for the Pa3X.

Bill G
Chiplet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Bill

Is it just me or does the PA900 looks like a very good buy?! I was originally considering a Tyros 5 but that was until I saw the price Shocked and it seems like quite an incremental upgrade to Tyros 4 (and in a lot of ways that was not too different from my Tyros 2). Besides, I fancy a total change to shake up my playing and the Korg seems to have more of a 'live' sound if that makes sense. I'm trying to locate a dealer in my area to test drive the PA900; hopefully it will live up to my growing expectations!

Hopefully it will allow the use of the midi pedals as I need that.. I found someone using a PA3X as an 'organ', does the PA900 share most of the PA3X features in this regard (OS & midi implementation etc)?

Sorry for all the noob questions!

Thanks
Dave
hotkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I have PA600, all programming is the same way as PA3x, only some less functions.

I think there should be no limitation about Bass MIDI pedals, they shall put Notes On and Off, you only have to set correct MIDI channel for this.

About registration, if you want 8 registrations, simply put 2 entries for the same song with different registrations into Songbook, MySong01 and MySong02 Wink
If you want more variations, just make two styles with changing some Bass or Drum variation, read some acc variation from some other style...

Organs programming, check if it could be done over MIDI,
then MIDI controller with 8 sliders (Behringer BCF200) could do all work as on PA3x, with more MIDI control as you wished.

Else very good foot controller for PA900 is Behringer FCB1010 - Volume and expression control, most arranger controls (over MIDI!)... But could not be used from your side because of Bass pedal...

Regards,
BillyHank

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

The Pa900 and the Pa3X do share similar MIDI functions, but the Pa3X has a ports for the Korg EC5 pedal board and one assignable and one sustain.

The Pa900 has only the assignable and sustain ports - so it may be that you can't use your pedal board.

I have to say that I am very happy with my Pa900 and it is everything I always was hoping to get in the Tyros models, but they always fell short on features.

Bill G
Chiplet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, appreciate all the great info!

My pedals are a Roland PK-5, for the Tyros I just use a standard midi out-in and set the root/bass note channel to match, works very well. I'm hoping the PA900 will allow the same and then it's one step closer to getting my first Korg! Very Happy
Thoraldus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiplet wrote:
Thanks guys, appreciate all the great info!

My pedals are a Roland PK-5, for the Tyros I just use a standard midi out-in and set the root/bass note channel to match, works very well. I'm hoping the PA900 will allow the same and then it's one step closer to getting my first Korg! Very Happy

Your PK5 will work fine with the PA3X, PA900 and PA600 just fine. I am thinking about adding a PK5 to my PA600. Wink

Johann Sebastian Bach

----------------------------------------------
Rick Stirling - Retired Electrical Engineer - Erstwhile Photographer
Korg Kronos2, Casio MZ-X500, PA600, AKAI MPD32, M-Audio Oxygen 25, ZOOM H6, Cakewalk Sonar
Fransman
Platinum Member

Location: Netherlands (PA4X61+PAas. Past: PA3X, PA800, Y PSR-S910, PA500, T KN1000, Y PSR-16)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Hello and a few Korg newbie questions! Reply with quote

Chiplet wrote:
Hi all

2. Does the PA900 offer a feature similar to the Yamaha 'registration memory'? ie save the panel setup for easy recall during a song?

Unfortunately Korg does NOT (in any model) provide registration memories and banks like Yamaha does (and before that Technics did).
It's imho the ONLY thing that's lacking compared to Yamaha's models. I did use them a lot with my good old Technics.
There are workarounds with the Songbook, but they're NOT the same.
You do NOT have the dedicated buttons that come with a registration bank.

For everything else, Korg is the best choice for me, and - I guess - most people here at korgforums.... Very Happy

Play in style. Wink
BillyHank

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frans,

To be sure the Yamaha registrations are one of the most powerful features of their arrangers and I fail to understand why Yamaha has never made them accessible from their Music finder(Song Book).

Having owned three Tyros models and several PSR's, I can say without a doubt my Pa900 is head and shoulders above any of those keyboards.

Bill G
Fransman
Platinum Member

Location: Netherlands (PA4X61+PAas. Past: PA3X, PA800, Y PSR-S910, PA500, T KN1000, Y PSR-16)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillyHank wrote:
Frans,

To be sure the Yamaha registrations are one of the most powerful features of their arrangers and I fail to understand why Yamaha has never made them accessible from their Music finder(Song Book).

Having owned three Tyros models and several PSR's, I can say without a doubt my Pa900 is head and shoulders above any of those keyboards.

Bill G

Like you, I didn't get that either.
When I had a S910 for a while I was constantly wondering about the user UNfriendly interface / OS.
(Having read everywhere it should be the most user friendly... NOT!).
I thought I did something wrong, until I found out that what I wanted to do, simply was not possible.
I never had that experience with my Korg.

But... I liked working with registration banks. You can compose a song in 8 different steps, which is great.
I know, there are ways of establishing this with Korg, but you never get the dedicated 8 buttons 'on the fly'.

I will not switch to Yamaha again, not even T5. Still no touch screen! What are they thinking?
For a T5 you can buy 3 PA900's! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay overpriced.

Shocked Shocked

Play in style. Wink
Chiplet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info guys, thanks!

Fransman, what is the 'acknowledged' way of establishing the registration feature on Korg? Is it via the songbook? I would be grateful for any insights you have on this as it will help my transition a lot!

I was thinking about a used T4 before I saw the PA900, my T2 was used and I had a couple of issues with it which has kind of put me off - plus I think there is something about having a shiny new 'board Razz
Fransman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, but the Songbook probably is the best tool for this.
There you can program 4 STS's with your song (not quite the same as 8 panel memories, but it comes near).
For me this is fine in almost all cases.

But if you like, you can of course make different Songbook entries for different parts of a (complex) song (with different tempo, mute/unmute tracks, even different STS's or style etcetera).
With a footswitch or assignable button you can switch between these different song-parts. (Not as practical/convenient as the registration buttons IMHO).
I don't know a way to change tempo with STS's alone; I think you need different songbook entries for that, or you have to re-progam style variations (I don't know how to do that).

Maybe somebody else knows a better way or give some extra information on this topic?

Play in style. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa900/Pa3X Le All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: