Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestions For Future KingKorg Updates
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
r0mulus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Suggestions For Future KingKorg Updates Reply with quote

Hi all,
I am very much new here. Glad to meet you all! I am very surprised that Korg doesn't run their own forum, but, being that that is the case, I was hoping to get some feedback from the community on any features that are lacking from the KingKorg, ideally ones that could be fixed in a future version of the OS.

Here are my issues, along with a suggestion of how to implement them in the next version of the OS/firmware.

1) Tube and tube level are both global settings.

These options need to be moved from the Global settings to the Patch settings so that each patch can have recallable tube/tube level controls. This is actually a serious problem when you are trying to make both the best possible sounds and playing live. Who has time to remember tube levels/on/off state for all of their patches in the heat of the moment? Ain't nobody got time for that!

2) Timbres cannot be assigned to independent midi channels. Either side of the keyboard split cannot be assigned to independent midi channels. CV out cannot be assigned to either side of the keyboard split either.

This could be easily fixed in the OS. Simply add the option. Obviously, the KK is already splitting the keyboard input and assigning it to different voices internally. Why this isn't reflected as options in the UI is strange to say the least. It really bothers me that I bought a monotribe expecting to use it as a mono bass synth and couldn't assign the lower (or upper!) split to play it.

3) Expression Pedal input doesn't work or is incorrectly labeled.

The pedal control parameter "Expression Pedal" has a selectable value in the Global settings, but it seems to be useless as there is no mod source labeled "Expression Pedal" to assign in any of the mod routings. I have resorted to assigning the "Y+" to the expression pedal, and remaking my patches to reflect this functionality. In an ideal world, Exp pedal would be an entirely separate modulation source from "Y+" so that you could potentially do both things, which would be helpful in the case of modifying the pitch/drive/filter of a synth whilst using the expression pedal to modulate the amount of reverb or FX of your choice. Why this isn't implemented properly is a complete mystery. This extremely important topic (expression pedal) is very poorly covered in the manual.

These are my major three pain points right now. Please add any more if you can. Would be interesting to see what people think could be improved about this product.

As a final disclaimer, I am really happy with my King Korg. I bought it sort of as a replacement for my Alesis Ion, which had a shortage of polyphony. I find the midi implementation on the Ion to be vastly superior to the King Korg though, which is disappointing as there is really no technical reason other than disregard or laziness why more midi flexibility shouldn't be included standard. We are in 2013, after all...

Looking forward to your responses. Cheers!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if the KingKorg is like other Korg synths but there, you actually use CC#04 for specific foot pedal control. That should be available as AMS source. CC#11 "expression" is a hard coded midi spec control change that usually controls volume.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Suggestions For Future KingKorg Updates Reply with quote

r0mulus wrote:
Here are my issues, along with a suggestion of how to implement them in the next version of the OS/firmware.!

I just hope there is an update! I kinda get the feeling they might see KK as a bit of a stepchild.

r0mulus wrote:
Tube and tube level are both global settings.

These options need to be moved from the Global settings to the Patch settings so that each patch can have recallable tube/tube level controls.

I don't think it would be possible to store tube level settings. I'm not sure, but I think it's a hard analog pot controlling gain to the tube, I don't think it's a digital control. So it would not be programmable. I would think that the On/Off should be, though. But... I'm not an engineer.

My own wish list:

1. I'd like a fourth keyboard trigger option, high trigger, low release. The low release is great for clav sounds, but the low trigger means you lose velocity control.

2. I really miss a wet/dry control for the echo effect. I want to be able to get a small number of repeats (maybe even just one), but have the first repeat about as loud as the original. Never saw an effect without wet/dry before.

3. More flexible Program Change option. Right now it is either enabled for send and receive, or disabled for send and receive. I'd like independent control of send and receive. In my case, I want it to be able to Receive Program Change, but I don't want the board to Send it.

And there are a bunch of ways that I think the interface could be improved, that's probably were most of my suggestions would be. But that's for a much longer message!
djcactus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also each timbre can be assigned to a midi channel individually.
RikMaxSpeed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like a very simple little change: independent arpeggiators for Layers A & B. It's really helpful for creating rhythmic / animated sounds.
r0mulus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djcactus wrote:
also each timbre can be assigned to a midi channel individually.

interesting...have you successfully gotten the lower or upper split to play a single midi channel independently out from the board? my experience is that they always send the full range of the board on the "global" "local control on" midi channel...
r0mulus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I don't know if the KingKorg is like other Korg synths but there, you actually use CC#04 for specific foot pedal control. That should be available as AMS source. CC#11 "expression" is a hard coded midi spec control change that usually controls volume.

im gonna try this out later...thanks for the tip! i'll report back on if it works or not...
r0mulus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestions For Future KingKorg Updates Reply with quote

Scott wrote:

I just hope there is an update! I kinda get the feeling they might see KK as a bit of a stepchild.

This is interesting to me. I haven't owned any other Korg products worth upgrading for long enough to need to upgrade them. Do they have a bad history with support updates?

I'm used to DSi and KMI...they update pretty regularly- or at least at all!

Quote:
I don't think it would be possible to store tube level settings. I'm not sure, but I think it's a hard analog pot controlling gain to the tube, I don't think it's a digital control. So it would not be programmable. I would think that the On/Off should be, though. But... I'm not an engineer.

if so that is a major bummer...it seems to me to be a very critical part of the sound designing process- they should have at least done 0-127 (8bit??) midi values so as to make this recallable...i can say with all seriousness this is actually a major inconvenience in a live situation, which is what I really use the KK for...

Quote:

2. I really miss a wet/dry control for the echo effect. I want to be able to get a small number of repeats (maybe even just one), but have the first repeat about as loud as the original. Never saw an effect without wet/dry before.

absolutely! more parameters available, even if just buried in sub menus would be nice.

would also be nice if they could throw a compressor/limiter in there as well, at the end of the chain, mostly to tame the sometimes extreme volume differences associated with filter sweeps.

if we are going for broke, why not also make the various 1/4" jacks on the back double as a sidechain input? we are in the modern electronic music era, after all, and i have seen this used to great effect...especially with kick triggers, etc...
djcactus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it can remember tube on/off globally when you boot it up, couldn't be much more for a per patch bases, though, i just keep mine on.
Jauly

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been experimenting with my brand-new king korg for some days now. I compared it to many analog synths and got some ideas that would, if implemented, help the synth and push it into new territories.

1. Smoother sounding analog synth oscillator waveforms with less aliasing.

Aliasing is occurring with polyphonic sounds at upper octaves. Especially the polyphonic multi oscillator sounds are a bit "flangish", tend to get stuck in kind of beating with each other. It's more significant the longer the release of the amp envelope is and it really starts to crinkle up if you turn cutoff under 30 and resonance over 50. Some of the smoothest and fattest VA waveforms had been in my Korg Prophecy, I even think the MS2000 oscillators were a little nicer. So this shouldn't be a problem to do?

2. Stronger VCA gripping envelopes.

I feel the amp envelope is a bit sluggish there as well because it gives no real "VCA" punch itself to the sound. Maybe it would help if the amp envelope could be set to exponential, logarithmic or linear behavior? I don't know exactly, because the punch parameter instead gives a too drastic "hi eq" effect (sounds like a pluck and not like a bassy punch), and so it does not fit smooth to the (rest of the) amp envelope. A kind of "volume flanging" is noticeable when I use the arpeggiator to trigger polyphonic arpeggios. It seems like the envelopes loose a bit teeth there. Maybe it's because of the waveforms starting at different cyvles? Set to "mono1" produces a much nicer, rounder, more defined and raw "analog" sound.

3. filter gain parameter & analog tuning parameter for filter

Well, most of the king korg filters distort very easy at resonance levels set over 50 and cutoff frequencies under 30 in a very static way. When you set the filter and amp envelopes to proper sustain levels, the resonance then sounds like stuck in a loop, interfering the oscillator beatings (slightly detuned oscillators). The only filter that is really smooth and silky is the P5 Filter, but that's because it is in general half as loud as all other filters. That's no problem for me! Instead, most of the king korg filters are simply set too loud, and I can't change the level of them. 2 Solutions: First I would appreciate an "analog tune" parameter for the filter tuning as well (to let them swing "warmer"), and second, there has to be a gain or saturation/input level for the filter before the amp. You can turn down the single oscillators in the mixer before the filter, but that won't touch the filter distortion itself.

4. Trigger out MIDI Notes + OSC. IN with the ARP.

I wish the arpeggiator would trigger midi out notes as well, because I use waveforms of my analog synths over the mic in as an oscillator in the kingkorg. In combination with the modulated king korg filters and it's very good FX section it is a pleasure to use oscillators from real analogues. Problem there is, I can trigger the mic in with the keys, but not with the arp!

5. LFOs at audio rate don't modulate well.

The faster the LFO's are set, the quieter gets the effect on modulating the resonance or the cutoff. After entering the audio range (50hz to 100hz) the LFO gets very brittle and does not modulate smooth or realistic at all. It works a little better (bot not much) on the Oscillator FM, though. On analog synths, the effect of filter fm is very drastic, but on the king korg the LFOs fade out in a brabble.

But besides the my critic points, I really like the self oscillating of the moog and prophet filters. As the prophet filter sounds well, I guess the other fitlers are set far too loud and therefore they heavily distort. The resonance itself can be very interesting and vivid when modulated with a key synced random lfo waveform. I'm just not sure about the tube. Because for me, tube distortion makes the sound not warmer or richer. Most of times the synth sounds better to my ears without the tube. I also want to add that my perceptions are very subjective and formed over many years with all different kinds of analog and digital synths. Many people may not even spend a second thinking about the things I've stated above. All in all I like the king korg very well as a synth in it's own regard, but not in imitating vintage synths. The handling of the effect section is laid out very well, the key action is good and the filter sounds very good if it doesn't distort. So for me, the King Korg is just a few tweaks away from a VA masterpiece.

Last edited by Jauly on Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:49 pm; edited 5 times in total
Jauly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addendum to the filter distortion problem:

The most overdriven filter of the king korg is the acid filter. I've got a 303, and the original 303 filter does in fact not distort on its own. Sure, some 90's acid lines are distorted, but only if wanted (through a distortion pedal or overdriven input gain on the mixer). Even in highest resonance settings, the original real 303 stays bright and liquid. If you add some resonance on 303 filter in the king korg, the filter suddenly bursts into static humming and the sound gets far too loud.

If you set all oscillator or amp levels to a minimum, the filter distortion does not change at all. I just don't get why you can change all those levels, but it has absolutely no effect on the sound behavior? On most other synths you have different effects of saturation if you change the oscillator levels before they enter the filter, or you can set the filter saturation on your own (e.g. access virus).

Well, If something is on the to do list for the king korg, then, please korg team, start there...
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Suggestions For Future KingKorg Updates Reply with quote

r0mulus wrote:

Quote:
I don't think it would be possible to store tube level settings. I'm not sure, but I think it's a hard analog pot controlling gain to the tube, I don't think it's a digital control. So it would not be programmable.

if so that is a major bummer...it seems to me to be a very critical part of the sound designing process- they should have at least done 0-127 (8bit??) midi values so as to make this recallable..

Again, if it's a hard analog gain control, it would not be programmable. That includes programming via MIDI.

What you can probably do, though, is save your sounds with the oscillators set to different volume levels. A sound with the oscillator levels at full would drive the tube harder than a sound with the oscillator levels at half. So the idea would be that, you leave the tube level at the maximum you ever want, and for the sounds you want to not drive the tube as hard, you just store your preset with a reduced level of signal going to the tube preamp in the first place, and it should sound very much as if you had left the osc levels at full and reduced the tube gain knob instead.
Oldretro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RikMaxSpeed wrote:
I'd like a very simple little change: independent arpeggiators for Layers A & B. It's really helpful for creating rhythmic / animated sounds.

I would like a simple "As played" mode, so it can be used as a sort of mini step sequencer. Now it has only has some up and down versions with two alternate settings, and a chord trigger, but I find that a little meager. Yes, it also has a mute per step function, but I don't use that often. I have to see if there will be any updates at all, as the manuals say nothing about the possibility of future updates. For the rest it's a nice versatile board, with a very rich sound when the tube is on.
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Independent PAN per Osc...and/or at least a Pan Spread mode similar to DSI synths, which is ubiquitous to Oberheim style patches, considering the outrageously good OB Filter mode on the KK!
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
Jauly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: LFO Bug Reply with quote

One thing that I really would like to have fixed is the LFO speed bug. Whenever you set the LFO to fast or audio rates and you play some keys, the LFO speed suddenly and irregularly drops down to very low frequencies. You can't handle this in a musical way, it looks like the CPU can't process a high LFO speed and key strokes at once.

Is there any chance for an update at all?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KingKORG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: