Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Patch Morpher (iPad) for KingKorg (and more)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hugo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Patch Morpher (iPad) for KingKorg (and more) Reply with quote

Just came across this:
"Patch Morpher is an innovative sound generator, patch editor, librarian and interactive performance tool for synthesisers.
---
Patch Morpher is currently only compatible with the following synthesisers:
- Moog Voyager
- Dave Smith Prophet 08
- Dave Smith Prophet 12
- Korg KingKorg
- Mutable Instruments Shruthi-1
(more coming soon!)"

So it should be interesting for you lucky owners of a KingKorg Smile
It's free, btw
http://idesignsound.com/patch-morpher-ipad/
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Patch Morpher (iPad) for KingKorg (and more) Reply with quote

Hugo wrote:

It's free, btw

Not exactly. Money must be paid (in app purchase) to unlock all it's function. I've just had this discussion with the author when he tried to advertise on the forum.

He's free as bird to reply to any questions you may have about his program, but he's not allowed to advertise directly until such time as he meets the criteria outlined in the forum rules.

Regards
Sharp.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The program did not connect with my iPad 4, OS 7 via usb camera connection kit, neither automatically nor manually (checked different midi channels).

But I got it working with standard midi cables via my yamaha midi interface connected to the iPad.

Soon as the connection worked, it was fantastic:
- a full blown Kingkorg editor (tap Kingkorg on screen to get the actual patch loaded, then tap "editor"). You can select which parameters you want to see on screen, with graphical envelopes! That's exactly what I had wished Korg would publish.
- a morpher which allows you to morph between several programs in real time! Simply great.

I understand that it is not allowed to advertise here, and I won't advertise either. But I checked the program as KingKorg user and think it is
a) extremely affordable
b) extremely valuable for any KingKorg user

Any advice from the programmer how to get the usb connection working as well? I have Global settings in the Kingkorg set to "USB & Midi".
Hugo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok! I haven't got the KingKorg myself, but thought the app looked very cool - as Jim states Smile
I'm hoping other synths will be supported.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, even without all the other very cool stuff it seems to do, it's nice even just to have an editor! (I had been hoping Korg would release something... there's actually a reference to an editor on page 30 of the Parameter Guide, but it was probably a mistake, referring to the librarian as an editor/librarian.)

I actually prefer the iPad platform over a computer for the editor function. It feels more like "direct manipulation" than "programming," and you can use it more interactively, i.e. it is easier to play with one hand and tweak with the other, just as you do with "real" knobs. Ergonomically, it's much easier to place it where you want it, too. This also opens up more possibilities for live performance.
It really is much closer to having access to all the knobs you really want access to while playing.

And that's not even the main purpose of the program! The morphing capability looks really cool too.

Honestly, as much as I like the sound of the KK, I was thinking I would probably sell it. This program tilts me back to keeping it.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
Any advice from the programmer how to get the usb connection working as well? I have Global settings in the Kingkorg set to "USB & Midi".

Have you confirmed that the KK's USB port works when you connect to a computer? If so, does it work with other iPad apps but not this one? (MIDI Monitor is a good free app to download for testing.)
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugo wrote:

I'm hoping other synths will be supported.

I think that's the idea. Korg has a number of synths that could benefit (I'm still partial to the original Micro-Korg, though MK XL and R3 users would find this equally useful). Besides Korg, I think the Waldorf Blofeld would be a good choice. Since he's already entrenched in the Dave Smith world, I imagine it is somewhat likely we'll see support for more of that, i.e. Tetra, Mopho X4... that's assuming all these boards support the MIDI functionality he needs to make his app work.
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caught the original post last night just before it was deleted. Normally I'd agree about the advertising thing, however after watching his video it's a very creative piece of software for KingKorg users, and he's clearly a Korg enthusiast.

I have one question for the developer. Given that you can't seamlessly morph between oscillator types, is there an abrupt change when you pass the 50% crossfade point? How do you manage this inevitable problem?

Last edited by Timo on Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What functionality requires an in app purchase?
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
The program did not connect with my iPad 4, OS 7 via usb camera connection kit, neither automatically nor manually (checked different midi channels).

strange,
it worked perfect on my Ipad 3 (ios 7), when connected through the usb camera connection kit i saw the king korg midi name in the editor, the only thing i had to change was the global channel in the app (i use midi channel 11 on the king korg as a global channel).

I have to admit, i'm really impressed with this app, it works very smooth and it looks rather complete with all the parameters you can use. I'm going to buy it because in my setup this is a good addon to my workplace.
djcactus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i had an iPad i would be using this already. Looks great, just blows my mind third parties make tons of this stuff.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bald Eagle wrote:
What functionality requires an in app purchase?

Librarian Functionality (Save Patches and Scenes)
RikMaxSpeed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folk,

Glad to see the app mentioned on the site :O)

And sorry to hear you're having trouble connecting via USB on IOS7 - that's what I've been using to develop so very strange, only I don't have the latest iPad Air.

To answer some of your questions: the morphing is as smooth as it can be given the limits of MIDI's very low bandwidth (3125 bytes/second), and as somebody pointed out you can't morph smoothly across oscillator types.

But the reason I created the app was that I love being inspired by new & unusual sounds, and whilst I can program patches myself, I wanted a quick way of creating lots of patches, to explore what the synth can do and to be surprised by it. You can quickly generate a new sound if you don't like what it produces or use the editor to fine tune things a bit.

Personally I was very impressed with what the KingKorg can produce, Korg have done a fantastic job in creating a reasonably simple synth to program with a huge depth of sound.

I've spent hours creating sounds using the app and as I did so there were a couple of features that I realised were really necessary: one was the ability to limit the patch generator to only use Analog, Digital or Sampled waveforms - you can get lots of interesting patches with just the DWGS or Analog forms for example. The other was independent editing of layers A & B - that's just a massive time saver - and allows you to create layered sounds much more easily.

Hope you have fun with the app!

All the best,
Richard.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camera connection kit problem solved: a rare case of a cheap and obviously bad or somewhat loose usb cable. Replacing the cable did the job.

Really nice app!
RikMaxSpeed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh of relief Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KingKORG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: