Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg MicroArranger Will Not Boot
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deane

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Korg MicroArranger Will Not Boot Reply with quote

Today I turned on my KMA and it would not complete the boot process. It stopped with only the word microArranger on the screen and would go no further. My guess is the OS loader or OS is fried. How do I fix this.

There is a Sax sound across the keyboard and the multi pads work but NOTHING else works.

Deane
NativeAngels
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Re MicroArranger Reply with quote

Hi I had this problem once with my pa50sd. Firstly the following will reset your keyboard to factory settings. You will need a sd with the operating system and factory resources.

When turning your MicroArranger on hold down the intro or fade in/out button you should get a request to install the operating system.

Hopefully that works.
Deane

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NativeAngels,
I was able to reinstall the operating system from the SD card with no problem but it did not solve the problem. It looks as if the circuit board that controls the buttons that you use to select resources has died. It is strange because the multi-pad buttons work and the transpose button works and I can play a sound on the upper part of the keyboard. Nothing on the left side of the keyboard works. I was going to attempt to reload resources but the SD button does not function.

Don't know if it is worth sending to Korg. Probably would cost more than it is worth and I could almost buy a new one for the cost of repairs.

Deane
Deane

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a complete week I finally got a reply from Korg Support. However, all it turned out to be was a question as to if I had had the problem before and if I had tried to reinstall the OS. I told them NO and YES and will not wait to hear from them again.

Meanwhile, I called a local repair shop and asked about costs. I can buy a new one for what repairs would cost. $110.00 just to tell me what the problem is - then they have to get parts and do the work.

Deane
Deane

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally heard back from Korg. They sent me a website URL on which I can
find a close by service center. So, I called three of them - guess what? NONE of them will work on the KMA. So much for that.

Deane
Synthesizerplayer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your MS under warranty? you should tell the dealer from where you brought it to get it fixed. Mine stopped working so I had to return it to L&M in Canada. I got a microstation instead. The MA had a lot of issues
Deane

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Opening the KMA Reply with quote

Does anyone here know if there are instructions on how to open up the KMA?

Deane
jfo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Opening the KMA Reply with quote

Deane wrote:
Does anyone here know if there are instructions on how to open up the KMA?

Deane

I recently opened mine to repair the joystick. You need to remove all the screws visible on the underside of the unit and simply separate the cover. If I recall correctly there are cables connecting the two pieces, so watch for them.
hammer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I would update this post. I took my Microarranger to a repair shop 4 months ago! Finally, I got a report - the motherboard was bad and needed to be replaced. Price of the motherboard was quoted as $600.00 !!!! Wow! More than a brand new keyboard. I picked up the KMA from the shop and will trash it.

Anyone want to sell a KMA???

Deane
teka

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, how long did your KMA last, did you buy it new or off ebay? I'm thinking of buying a KMA and would like to know if they are unreliable.
hammer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teka,
I had my new KMA about 18 months when it quit on me. It was well within the warranty period but I had not registered it with Korg so the warranty was no good. Go figure. One other point - Korg's support really sucked!! I waited a long time before getting any kind of answer from them - lesson learned I guess.

Deane
teka

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. How long is the warranty period, electrical items usually have only 12 months?

I have searched the 244 page owner's manual and can find only "Please also retain your receipt as proof of purchase otherwise your product may be disqualified from the manufacturer’s or distributor’s warranty."
hammer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teka,
I had my receipt but it made no difference to Korg. They demanded that it be registered within the first year for the year 2 warranty to be in effect. So much for that.

Deane
teka

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I hear you. If it were mine, I would be tempted to open it up and see if there are any dodgy/dry joints on the board or blown/leaking electrolytic capacitors. Just be careful of the capacitors, they can hold a deadly charge, hours after you have unplugged it from the mains.

Does it power up or is it stone dead?

I have many Korg products and I've never had one fail on me, but I have had a Yamaha fail on me.

I notice you have a Tyros, here's a repair video which shows you what can go wrong with solder joints.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJPl_Kp06AY
hammer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teka,
Thanks for your input and the video. I have already put the broken KMA in the trash. Right now I am taking a break from buying new keyboards. Frankly, I have not been impressed with any of the keyboards that have come out this year so I'll wait and see what the future holds.

Deane
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: