Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KP3 Input Distortion and Fuzz

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KultureSelektah

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: KP3 Input Distortion and Fuzz Reply with quote

I bought my KP3 second hand from Ebay and did not realize until now that what I send through the input of the KP3 does not sound the same on the KP3 output. I noticed when playing audio through the KP3 that the audio sounded distorted regardless of how much I played with the levels. I also noticed that when there is no audio being played, there is still some white noise that is visible on my meter and eq analyzer.

Does the KP3 usually add some fuzz to the effected audio or is it supposed to sound clean? I intended on using the KP3 with Ableton Live but it is less than desirable to record with since the sound quality is not so good. Does this mean that I need to send it in for repairs? Is it expensive to replace the pre-amps on these things?
bradkorg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: KP3 Input Distortion and Fuzz Reply with quote

KultureSelektah wrote:
I bought my KP3 second hand from Ebay and did not realize until now that what I send through the input of the KP3 does not sound the same on the KP3 output. I noticed when playing audio through the KP3 that the audio sounded distorted regardless of how much I played with the levels. I also noticed that when there is no audio being played, there is still some white noise that is visible on my meter and eq analyzer.

Does the KP3 usually add some fuzz to the effected audio or is it supposed to sound clean? I intended on using the KP3 with Ableton Live but it is less than desirable to record with since the sound quality is not so good. Does this mean that I need to send it in for repairs? Is it expensive to replace the pre-amps on these things?

Did you test it standalone, without connected to computer with usb and/or pc soundcard audio in/output?
If it's connected to a computer with usb cable and/or audio in/output, then ground loop noises/statics/distortions is induced into.
I got terrible groundloop noises when connected with usb, so I don't connect usb when using kp3, only kp3 audio-out to pc audio-in sounds ok groundloop free.

The soundquality/processing of the kp3 design itself is not so good, the highs sounds harsh/distorted and hiss is normal.
Listen to the built-in Syns, sounds pretty distorted highs to me and all other filter effects are harsh sounding, so its the build audio design quality.
And because its an old standalone hardware DJ audio effects sampler/processor/manipulator designed for LIVE Performances, nowadays you can get better/more PC quality effects using FL Studio/DAW.
So
Quote:
Does the KP3 usually add some fuzz to the effected audio
is YES.
KultureSelektah

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip! I just tested the KP3 without the USB connection and saw a huge difference with the static problem. The distorted highs is exactly what you described and its somewhat unfortunate that this effects processor has issues with that; I guess ill just use the KP3 to process things that will be distorted anyways (might sound decent with a warmer or a bit crusher over it).

Im wondering if the KP3+ has any improvements in sound quality.
bradkorg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think SQ on KP3+ differs much besides the few more effects in the ROM from KP3 otherwise they would called it KP4, actually its could maybe worst or samelike, since they reduced the 12V to 9V powersupply and use now much cheaper samey reduced components/proccessors. Don't know, you'll need to do side by side comparisment.
KP3s are designed for DJ road shows, so over loud PA's will sound powerfull, don't need too high SQ anyways.

If you still insist to want better SQ, you can improve the KP3 SQ hearable better with less harsh/more bass/more dynamics/lively with better powersupply and modifications with few bigger capacitors in the powersupply chain.
If you are know abit about DIY electronics soldering/modifications, you can improve the SQ by adding better power supply components.
Download the KP3 Service Manual from here:
http://elektrotanya.com/korg_kp3_sm_ver2a_kaoss_pad_dynamic_effects_sampler.pdf/download.html
-Replace the original AC/DC adaptor outputs unstabilized 12V, 700mA with a stabilized 12V, 1A to 2A transformer type powersupply.
-Add some buffer 1000uF or 2200uF capacitors on the mainboard main powerlines: +10VA, +5VA and +3.3VD.
To reduced components/manufacturing prices, they use too small buffer capacitors, so the DAC/ADC, sound processor, amps don't get enough dynamic buffer powersupply, thus harsh sounds/clippings/thin sounds produced.
-Cut /desolder both mutingtransistors Q5 and Q6 at the line-out, muting tors cause/reduce the sounds transients and make sounds muffy, without it sounds more open/airly/dynamics.