Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making styles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
barry murphy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Making styles Reply with quote

I own a kn6000 which is still working but has a fault somewhere where I have to reset the language when I turn it on.
About a year ago I bought a yammie 710 (bear with me) and tried to do some styles. Really probably no need as there are so many already.
Something was missing with the Yamaha. It was lacking in the versatility I wanted and had no vocal capabilities. I read about the pa3x and just had to have one. Fantastic KB.
However, I still failed to make decent styles due to my lack of musical expertise.
Last night, I got a light globe(idea) that I want to throw at the brains on this site. It's just a "what do you think idea" and probably been thought of before but anyway!
When adding the markers to a midi file to be imported, I get too much work to do on the KB so to make it easier, this is what I thought of.
Make a clone of the midi.
Change the key of the midi to C and alter the tracks to output needed.
Then add the intro required.
Move/slide everything to the right of the intro 1 measure.
Find the right start for the 1st variation and add v1cv1. Move everything to the right by one measure and continue doing this with the other markers.
By doing this in the DAW (I have sonar x2) I think it would save a lot of time.
What do you think? I,m a beginner so I won't mind if you have a little giggle at my inaptitude. I will be impressed if someone answers with more advice on this subject.
baz
BillyHank

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Barry,

No giggle here - I've struggled myself trying to make styles on the Yammies and now on the Korg.

I think the Korg has the very best way to make styles and your method will work just as good as any once you get it worked out as a regular routine.
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Making styles Reply with quote

barry murphy wrote:

Last night, I got a light globe(idea) that I want to throw at the brains on this site. It's just a "what do you think idea" and probably been thought of before but anyway!
When adding the markers to a midi file to be imported, I get too much work to do on the KB so to make it easier, this is what I thought of.
Make a clone of the midi.
Change the key of the midi to C and alter the tracks to output needed.
Then add the intro required.
Move/slide everything to the right of the intro 1 measure.
Find the right start for the 1st variation and add v1cv1. Move everything to the right by one measure and continue doing this with the other markers.
By doing this in the DAW (I have sonar x2) I think it would save a lot of time.
baz

Hi Baz,
You kind of got me lost. Few questions for you:

1) What's the problem with using markers?

2) I didn't get the point of moving everything to the right by one bar. How is that going to save anytime?

barry murphy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:14 am    Post subject: making styles Reply with quote

Billyhank. It's a whole new experience. The korg is good.
Assyrianpianist. When I import the midi (holding shift and execute, I get unwanted measures> I have to then use lots of buttons to get rid of unwanted ones. The markers work fine no problem. I just thought that by having a blank measure after the played section would stop the excess. Am I explaining properly. For example, if v1cv1 has 2 measures of C and there are no other markers for 12 measures, the v1cv1 becomes 12 measures. It has no way of recognizing the 2 measures because there is no end point.
The kn6000 was good because you could tell it how many measures to copy.
I'm not saying that is better. I like the marker idea because it can be shown in the DAW.
baz
BillyHank

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry,

The markers mark the beginning of a var and the next marker marks it's end and the beginning of the next. There should be no blank bars between var, int, fill, etc.

Bill
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: making styles Reply with quote

barry murphy wrote:
Billyhank. It's a whole new experience. The korg is good.
Assyrianpianist. When I import the midi (holding shift and execute, I get unwanted measures> I have to then use lots of buttons to get rid of unwanted ones. The markers work fine no problem. I just thought that by having a blank measure after the played section would stop the excess. Am I explaining properly. For example, if v1cv1 has 2 measures of C and there are no other markers for 12 measures, the v1cv1 becomes 12 measures. It has no way of recognizing the 2 measures because there is no end point.
The kn6000 was good because you could tell it how many measures to copy.
I'm not saying that is better. I like the marker idea because it can be shown in the DAW.
baz

But why there aren't any markers for 12 bars? Why do you have so many empty bars between style elements in Sonar?

barry murphy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: making styles Reply with quote

Well I tried anyway. It doesn't work.
Bilyhank. I know how the markers work. I just wanted an end. It would be nice if there was some kind of marker that signified the end of a sequence instead of the next marker.I have been making a intro and ending and then finding a style that suits the song that I want to do. I then import the intro and end into the style. Works to some extent but not enough that I'm happy with it.
There is no style that suits the beatles "It won't be long"
baz
BillyHank

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the manual you can add the parts in any order you want as the Korg knows where to place them due to the markers.

You just need to keep all the tracks for each part in the same marker location.

On a couple of my import of MIDI to style with markers, there were extra bars there obviously added by the keyboard, but as soon as I saved the style those bars were also removed in the saved version.

I'm not sure extra bars are significant - then again it could be your DAW is adding some sort of MIDI artifacts to the saved MIDI - but this is just a WAG.

Bill G
barry murphy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: making styles Reply with quote

Sam, Those tutorials are gold. Thank you so much. I hadn't seen them before.What was the daw program. I have PT and sonar.
I use sonar with the KB and PT for audio only.
Do you know if styleworks is worth the money?
baz
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: making styles Reply with quote

barry murphy wrote:
Sam, Those tutorials are gold. Thank you so much. I hadn't seen them before.What was the daw program. I have PT and sonar.
I use sonar with the KB and PT for audio only.
Do you know if styleworks is worth the money?
baz

I'm a long time PT user. I'm pretty sure you can do any of this with Sonar. Though, every DAW has it's own little trick, so as long as you're fully aware of those things everything else should remain the same across all major DAWs.

I've never used Styleworks myself, but seen the results anywhere from ok to terrible depending on the style complexity.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa3X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: